Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:47:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318609 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:29 AM »

thanks!

Dear readers!! What do you want to see more of in this devlog? i mostly just post random sentences...well they are not random, they are based on what i do but idk. screenshots of level deigns??

time to make a markov bot to update for you, Sean_hogan_eBook

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 19, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »

that's a good idea. iw onder if it would differ much.

i made a song: listen to it! https://soundcloud.com/seanhoganok/transit-station

i did a few hrs of room design this weekend. idk. i just want to be done wtih room design and GET ON TO MAKING FINAL LEVELS AND ART!!!!  etc.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 20, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »

coded anodyne-liek screen transition for visual clarity within gauntelt. also smoething else. i dont remember anymore

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 23, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »

trying  to finish my book. improved smoe things yesterday and today. arranging levels now. hoo-hah ! ! !  !

play hydlide 2
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 23, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »

wait the e book is posting now Huh?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53:56 AM »

whoa i didnt post this here: i just released a free fiction novel  check it out here http://seanhogan.itch.io/summers-in-winter

arranging full levels! it's a lot more fun for me because the hard part is making the rooms. now it's just connecting them organically to convey traversing a building,b asically, scaling difficulty and ideas complexit over time

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 27, 2015, 08:48:05 AM »

Rooms - the boxes you see in the small dark rectangle in the top left of the Even the Ocean screen, are designed one-by-one based on the entities (in this case the blue squares in the game screen + little pods). After we design enough rooms, I decide a high-level progrsesion of idea complexity through the level - e.g. 'easier' rooms first that introduce ideas, then 'harder' rooms later. So this 'level' - a power plant at a beach - will consist of 4 large maps containing arranged rooms. In this case in GIMP image editor on the left i'm working on the 2nd of these maps. The image on thet left is the result of moving around room ideas to go along with my desired progression and pacing of idea complexity. There's also a horrible sketch that this particular map should progress downwards in verticality, and perhaps have open more organic (vs box-y) feeling downwards passages - conveying a sense of progressing underground towards Something. In the process of arranging Rooms to make Maps the boxy bordesr of the Rooms are often torn down to give a more connected/fabric feel of the entire level

seanhogan2
and what i'm doing on the right in the even the Ocean editor i programmed is moving around the actual rooms, connecting them in-game.

seanhogan2
the funny looking tiles on the right side are because the in-game test map i copied those rooms from used a different tileset. so in this map, the tiles will show up differently since their data is just stored as a CSV of numbers

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 28, 2015, 08:03:19 AM »

An Actually Informative Post
Evolution of the Shore Gauntlet

So the area I don't care much about spoiling is the Shore area, because we show pictures of it all the time. It's one of the first areas you go to in the game, and is a beach.

It's one of the first areas I worked on in 2013, and made it into the final game, even before all the game-level structure wasn't decided back then.

The notion of a gauntlet - I believed - existed in some preliminary notion by May 2013. Here's versions of the first map of the shore gauntlet. Gauntlet is more or less a term to mean platforming-focused part of the game, and in the game, the actual place youa re in is a power plant.

Mid-Late 2013

This could have been from late 2013. Not entirely sure. This tiling is from early 2014, though. Before it was these awful blue debug tiles.

Late 2014

This one is kind of big. Use arrow keys to scroll

Today (April 2015)

Even bigger! Use arrow keys to scroll.

Comparisons

Art
One reason for the sizes getting bigger is the evolution of art styles. We now use an "An Untitled Story"-esque method where we just load 2-4 giant bitmaps for the maps (which are no larger than 3200x1600 pixels usually). Then the tile collisions are invisible tiles.

This let us go from this really cramped map where we had to tile everything by hand in-editor, to Joni being able to combine tile-style graphics and painting in Photoshop with the final version.

Design Change

Obviously we figured out a lot of design philosophy since starting in mid-2013. The 2013 version is haphazard, me just throwing random ideas together, not really thinking about what the entities do with the mechanics in a clear way. It's cute, but confusing, the level randomly and confusingly goes left and right and up and down. The focus in the entire gauntlet is more about the overall structure (how each map fits together), to the detriment of it entirely. The rooms are kind of boring to go through, and most of all, cramped and hard for most players to manage to understand the design.

By late 2014 we figured out a room design philosophy - clear ideas, de-center difficulty and finicky platforming, the entities should have clear uses, intuitive in a Mario sense (Mario has very clear entities in its games - clear as in, easy to understand waht they do).

So that 2nd picture is my attempt at the first map of the Shore gauntlet. It's still cramped though, de-cramping the rooms and making them 'breathe' and be open came later.

(a room is a box with a single idea - see the 2nd picture - you can see the rooms clearly)

The 3rd picture, close, or probably the final iteration, is a culmination of all this, plus I think observations on architecture I've gleaned from walking after playing Souls games... maybe.  The rooms when designed were more open (or adjusted to be more open), their roofs removed to convey a sense of continuous space within a cave / mechanical structure. Instead of the pacing of th levels being room-room-room, there are sections with few entities or none, for rest for the player. This helps to hide the 'designedness' of the levels more, making them feel a bit more like lived-in places, as impossible as that is to do in a 2-person team working on a 2D team.

Oh yeah, and Joni also thought of adding camera regions (the red boxes) which are basically locking the camera to that region. going between two scrolls like zelda. so it helps to focus on the action in some parts, or mentally help the player pace their way through the area.

Hopefully that was interesting for someone!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:14:04 AM by Sean Hogan (seagaia) » Logged

play hydlide 2
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »

very ... informative ...  Gentleman

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »

bump for info post today !

play hydlide 2
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: April 28, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

bump for bumping

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1471 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »

bumping for bumping for bumping

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 29, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »

well i guess i'll get back to writing uninformative posts then!

note: informative post was here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32220.msg1133986#msg1133986

play hydlide 2
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1473 on: May 01, 2015, 07:01:54 AM »

Yeah that was pretty interesting to see how the design changed over time.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 04, 2015, 05:59:30 AM »

now it's monday! going to work on a thing designed on friday

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 06, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »

we both started playing final fantasy 13. i'm liking it so far! fun to see little storylines interact over time. well we'll see. the fihgting is boring of course heh

today, made a bunch of sfx so far. well not a lot. thigns like the energy bar filling, or moving the shield aroun... adding physicality to the game world without having lots of random objects, basically, though we expect the art and music to fill a lot of the emptiness feel the areas might present as we don't focus on killing or finding loot

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 07, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »

recently... sound effets stuff..well today  i added at hing that sets what sounds play where...meaning if you overlap it and jump onto the gruond, a sound plays depending on what i set. also... i fixed some camera stuff and programmed a few things. been trying to finish my solo music album, maybe done tomorrow or this weekend?  i'll release that soon. mb tomorrow if i finish tomroprrow.

i'm still playing final fantasy 13. i feel like... it's a streamlined FF, but they should have streamlined it even more and just gone all the way. Give each character 2 or 3 classes and auto-upgrade the weapons and abilities, so the focus isn't on material gathering /grinding, but just the battle system. that being said most fighst are boring, though every now and then a boss fight will be sort of ain interesting puzzle witht he Paradigm Shift system. i read about the gambits in FF12 - which are basically programming I hear - and that sounds interesting. i'll play ff12 next. i also watched some of it and the voice acting had strong accents and veryone looked werid...so that's interesting...interesting...

well, i'm kind of enjoying it i guess. hope there's not too much more. maybe i'll play 13-2 and 13-3 sometime ?

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: May 08, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »

released a solo album of music! u might like it

https://htch.bandcamp.com/album/model-minority-no-more

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1478 on: May 16, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »

New art style has been pretty much settled on. Don't want to post too much until I've made some good progress though. It involves mixing digital painting with pixel art to create lusher landscapes more efficiently. It's sort of akin to how many animated shows have painted backgrounds with cartoonish characters.

Someone on twitter was convinced this was a terrible idea, and told me to do all this other stuff instead. If you want to talk/ask about it by all means, do! But... don't make demands or assume it's not good please! Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 18, 2015, 06:09:06 AM »

i forget to post in this... last week iw as out of town,b ut i still coded some things.  things to do are mostly misc. still though i should do stuff like arrange gauntelts.

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic