Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:53:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 315266 times)
siskavard
« Reply #1580 on: September 07, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »

hey, i really really like the background art style.

at first having a pixel art character on top of it seemed odd, but it works pretty nicely

great work!
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1581 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »

whoa lots of game things in japan this week... uh oh... and next week too...

thanks! yeah there are some things we just need to do, and we will make it work! hehe

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Conker
« Reply #1582 on: September 09, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »

Love the style
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: September 12, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »

Thanks!

New picture: It's from the same intro area but showing a part which is more or less a tutorial for jumping. So you can see how we incorporate nature shapes over level geometry to achieve a design goal.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 12, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »

It's true the graphic REALLY Picked up recently

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1585 on: September 14, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »

I'm showing at Tokyo Game Show on Thursday. It will probably be a bad time, my Japanese is alright but I'm not sure how it will hold up answering questions at a loud booth. To prepare, I made a few little papers with the controls and a description on it, and also our contact info... standard booth stuff. Though people will be playing the game on my laptop with a PS4 controller, because I am too cheap to spend $100 on a TV. I have to commute one hour each way and it costs 750 yen (around 6 dollars) each day, so that's 48 dollars of transportation. Hmm... maybe I'll get sick after day one...

For mailing list, I'm not sure what to do yet. I don't have an extra tablet or whatever for people to use. Maybe I'll just ask people afterwards to sign up if they are interested.

The demo itself, if you're interested - well, it only consists of the first 30-45 minutes of the game. That's the "intro" section. If you played Anodyne, that's about equivalent to everything till the end of the Street tutorial area (for reference, in Anodyne, that's about 5 minutes of gameplay).

But the intro is pretty done - we spent a lot of time the past month getting the intro all done - finalizing text, localizing it, adding tutorial things, polishing the art, fixing cutscenes, etc, lots of irritating little things - but after TGS we will get ready for submitting at the end of October for the IGF, just because, it would be fun I suppose. Deadlines are good.

I showed it to a silent audience at PicoPico cafe the other day, but I should have added Japanese slides or whatever because half the audience was Japanese (oops). Tonight I'm going to a party sponsored by 8-4 in Roppongi (yeah, that place... the bar town, I guess, at night - it's fine during the day...) It's really expensive, 5000 yen, I guess because they have an open bar - even if you don't drink (I don't drink). So I might bring a tupperware box (actually I just thought of this now, and I am going to do it) and take a ton of finger food back, so I can save money later in the week.

I've been in Asia for the last 3 weeks. It's nice, and it is feeling like home though I'll be leaving in two weeks. I wouldn't mind living here, though I'd need to learn more Japanese (or Chinese if I live in Taiwan), and I feel more politically attached to the USA vs. Asia, for a number of reasons.

It's nice to have the intro done, and know the tone of the game. Sort of exciting. I'll be curious to see what people think, though we are still missing a finished title screen and a few things' final UI art (the journal/field guide - the thing that gives synopsis of the game so far and the information on the objects like plants or spikes you run into during the game).

Also we won't know how people react to understanding the game structure. After the intro, the game becomes slightly nonlinear - you get to wander a world map and choose where you want to go next, after returning to the game's main city.

Well, we'll see how people like that later. But things are coming along and we should be done with the game within the next 4-6 months, I think - just a lot of little things, I guess...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 14, 2015, 11:54:48 PM »

Nice, good luck Smiley

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1587 on: September 20, 2015, 05:51:44 AM »

So I showed at "Tokyo" Game Show: well, actually, I showed on Thursday and Saturday. On Friday I was too tired. And on Sunday I was too tired: instead, I went to the National Diet building, which is the governmental legislation(?) building for Japan. On Saturday morning they decided that Japan would be able to fight overseas.

So..

We finished preparations. A lot of art polish and I did a bunch of little coding things to fix stuff up as well as some Japanese translation.

My Japanese fared pretty well throughout the convention, I couldn't really have complex conversations but I was able to sort of ask what people thought of the game and ask them to try and sign up to a mailing list (I only got like 6 emails.. heh)

Thursday

I started the day off by being crushed on a subway. An hour and a half later (it was raining), I made my way to Hall 9 of Makuhari Messe, which is not located in Tokyo.

Apparently this year, most people who got in were working with Sony, and tons of local Tokyo indies were rejected. So the rumor was that Sony was favoring people registered with them already (which we are). So we were lucky in that regard, but it's sort of messed up there wasn't as much local representation.

Anyways, my booth was free... and it sort of showed. The little cardboard sliding door was already pre-kicked in for me (each day I came back, it was kicked in). I set up my laptop to find out that my laptop can't connect to the free wireless network, which was irritating because I needed to download some art updates Joni did. I asked an interpreter for help but there was nothing they could do.

The little exhibit PDF we got ahead of time listed one of our booth's features as "Carpet". The "Carpet" was a 24 by 8 inch square of carpet in front of our booth.

Oh well, over the day, eight people played. Even the Ocean isn't a very good Show Floor Game, because it's not flashy, it's atmospheric, and requires reading (please don't tell me that my game, maybe, has too much reading, you might have been listening to one particular game designer's lectures in a semi-religious manner), but we still got a few people to play to the end of the 20-30 minute demo.

What's nice is that we haven't playtested it, yet everything is more or less easy to understand - no one really had trouble. There's only a few core concepts to explain, and we use friendly little visual tutorials, and an easy intro stage, to gradually build those ideas up. I think having worked on Anodyne really helped here with having intuitions on how we should design intro stages.

So I think it was worth it in that sense.

So yeah, that was over, and it was raining harder, and I lugged my backpack and this stupid blue bag back to my apartment an hour and a half away.

On the way out I bought a beef and vegetable curry bun, this was one solace of the day. The curry was even a little bit sweet, and the bun itself reminded me of a yeast donut.

Friday

I flat out just stayed at home all day. My feet hurt. I got to work on some things.

Saturday

Today,I carried stuff in a suitcase. It wasn't raining. It was a weekend, so no bad transit crowds.

I started the day by not saying hi to my new convention show floor neighbor, a flashy, loud (as in two large speakers), rhythm/shooter game with some name I didn't end up spending the time to read. Okay, ignoring those guys.

We had a few more players today. Similar response! I got to play one game, Y2K, for a little bit.

It was the public day, so there were many more people. The train station was frightening and boy did this one guy playing some Mobile Game behind me really just want to bump his belly into me as we're trying to get into the escalator

Though, Makuhari Messe is nice outside. It's a convention center/shopping center plaza place and it smells good and looks nice and clean.

The bathrooms are humid and smelly. I'm still not sure why it hasn't struck 90% of bathroom designers that the A/C in a bathroom is maybe one of the most important places to optimize it...? (Just kidding, I'm sure there's a good reason... right?)

I also prepared and bought more food ahead of time so I didn't get hungry.

Sunday

I almost went - I went to the Diet first, then I realized I forgot my pass at home. Then I got too lazy and went home and read and looked at old photos and videos instead. I also ate at a curry place near me.

Have you had Mitsuya Cider? I bought one for 80 yen from a machine in an alley near me. It tastes like Ramune, which is for kids. Mitsuya Cider, though, has a graphic design similar to heineken beer. It's kind of funny how we as adults will try to graphic-design or advertising-design our way out of admitting an indulgence in childhood nostalgia (Mac and Cheese for Adults, etc...)

And that was Tokyo Game Show 2015.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:01:58 AM by Sean Hogan (seagaia) » Logged

nimbusstev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: September 20, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »

Sounds like things went pretty well, even if it wasn't exactly how you planned. More than anything, I feel like it must have been cool to experience the game industry from a different culture's perspective. I'm sure it's a memory you won't forget any time soon!

And you're probably right that Even the Ocean isn't the type of game you'd typically enjoy on a show floor. I'm almost hesitant to play games that I'm looking forward to when I go to conventions, because I feel the crowded, noisy atmosphere would totally distract me and cheapen my first impression. I remember the first time I demoed Shovel Knight, I was terrible at it because I felt the pressure of the exhibitor watching me play. If ETO is anything like Anodyne, it's definitely the type of game I'd want to put headphones on and just experience within the comfort of my own room.

Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: September 20, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »

I visited Japan 2 months ago. Almost went to see the Diet building, but settled on Tokyo Sky tree instead.

Did you man the booth by yourself or did you have helping hands? If by yourself, do you sit at your booth the whole time, or do you find the time to go around and explore?

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1590 on: September 21, 2015, 05:08:25 AM »

Sounds like things went pretty well, even if it wasn't exactly how you planned. More than anything, I feel like it must have been cool to experience the game industry from a different culture's perspective. I'm sure it's a memory you won't forget any time soon!

And you're probably right that Even the Ocean isn't the type of game you'd typically enjoy on a show floor. I'm almost hesitant to play games that I'm looking forward to when I go to conventions, because I feel the crowded, noisy atmosphere would totally distract me and cheapen my first impression. I remember the first time I demoed Shovel Knight, I was terrible at it because I felt the pressure of the exhibitor watching me play. If ETO is anything like Anodyne, it's definitely the type of game I'd want to put headphones on and just experience within the comfort of my own room.

All things considered, it was pretty similar to E3 or PAX! Just, most people looked like me and spoke Japanese, and of course the mannerisms were slightly different. Perhaps the main show floor was different - I didn't get (or really want to... heh) a chance to go over there. The indies were in their own hall.

Still, it is memorable, I guess because of all the stuff I had to do to get there, and also showing it by myself which was hard at times.

And yeah, I don't really like playing games on show floors either. It doesn't bother me too much, I guess, but usually you can't hear the music or sound and that kinda blows.

But yeah, ETO is similar in that it's probably best played alone, in a state where you're able to absorb it well!

I visited Japan 2 months ago. Almost went to see the Diet building, but settled on Tokyo Sky tree instead.

Did you man the booth by yourself or did you have helping hands? If by yourself, do you sit at your booth the whole time, or do you find the time to go around and explore?

I was by myself - and I pretty much stood (I wish I sat...) at my booth the whole time. Even then, it was a pretty bad turnout. I did give myself bathroom breaks (packed up my stuff very quickly).

I explored for a few minutes after I would pack up for the day... but nothing really in detail. I suppose I could have but I wanted to optimize the number of players playing the game. I had considered going as a 'visitor' on the last day, Sunday, but I felt too tired, and plus the crowds really turn me off - I hate waiting in giant lines and being squished in subway stations and lines, dealing with the sweaty and smelly atmosphere . The main show floor was probably even worse than the indie hall in terms of people density.

I'm sure there would have been some weird things to see, given that it's gamer culture and also another country's games culture, but I'm not particularly into it in the US, either... I like games, but a lot of the fandoms and nostalgia and collection and consumerism around it I'm not particularly a participant of. like if I was at PAX Prime again I'd probably look at the indie booth but not really the rest of the show. Maybe I had enough of Japanese gamer culture by visiting Akihabara once in a headache-induced stupor. That being said, I did want to hang out with some other devs and game people but I was too tired in the end.

In the end, though, I guess I'm fine - for me seeing the Diet was more important than going to TGS for another day, for any sort of gamer business.

--

Ah, there was also  an "Indie stream party" after the day on Saturday. I probably should have gone... but I think it was in Japanese .But there were a lot of English speaking people. Well, whatever.

-

Anyways, this month - JOni and I are pretending to submit the game to the IGF. For a number of reasons, we won't be, but deadlines are nice for getting stuff done in an organized manner.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1591 on: September 25, 2015, 05:52:00 AM »

I have an update - soon. Well, I don't know howmuch I'll say. It has to do with storytelling and visual perspective int he CITY areas of the game.

My Asia trip is over soon, so I'll be back in the states and have a normal working schedule again.

In short, things are really coming together for the game, so that is exciting. I know I keep saying that previous sentence in various forms - but it finally is - as if the various bits and pieces of work our past selves have laid down are starting to morph into one.

So yeah - exciting times ahead... stay tuned...

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1592 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:48 PM »

DESIGNING THE CITY AND DESIGNING THE WORLD MAP

Keep your eyes peeeled for this post I'll maybe make tomorrow... involving math and other sorts of things!!

In preparation for the "IGF" we've been doing things we've ignored - like designing the worldmap, and doing the finalization of details for Whiteforge city, as well as the minor characters you meet there.

I'll be posting about some of the design decisions we made for these things, including - navigating a world map through landmarks, conveying the passage of time via the areas you traverse through in a world map, shortcuts in creating the city, the idea behind the structure of it,e tc.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 30, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »

Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1594 on: September 30, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »

Looks great! I'm really loving those atmospheric WIPs on soundcloud.

Game Design & Music

itch.io Page: https://entanglementinteractive.itch.io/bird
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1595 on: October 02, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

Thanks Spencer! A few of those are finished, though most are WIPs (though they've all been finished since around last November)

Today I made a huge design/programming post!!! For the first time...

Designing ETO's World Map: Part 1 (Of ... ?)

This week, we decided to finally flesh out the design details of ETO's world map.

Here's what we knew going into this:

- It's a hub to the main areas of the game
- It is like a standard JRPG world map
- You traverse it like the early Final Fantasies/Dragon Warriors
- You only walk on it
- A few details about the placements of the main areas

I'd already implemented a system for a player to walk around the world map with an alternate sprite.

Here's what we needed to decide:

- The size of the world map
- The speed of walking in the world map (largely dictated by the size and content)
- Where to position the main areas
- How to design the paths to the main areas
- Adding anything else to the world map
- Visual perspective of the world map

For the most part, we figured that out this week.

So early in development, I made a few world maps for what I thought we'd need. This changed, of course. Eventually I made some drawings, rough drawings - with the relative positions of the areas. So that's more or less, what we started with, visually.

This is what I've been using in place of the world map during development. It's just a small hub to walk between the areas. Each icon is an area, you stand over it, and interact to enter.

Visual perspective of the world map

We started with this task first. The whole reason we were even working on the world map was in preparation for the IGF Deadline (which we're not actually submitting to - just as a motivator).

Because a normal, flat perspective would be awkward, Joni wanted to do a perspective effect.

Joni asked if it was possible to do a screen-warping effect similar to terranigma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsb2eFt7BCs&feature=youtu.be&t=3h3m57s

My initial thought was "well, maybe". I think - though I'm not sure - that Terranigma was using the SNES's Mode 7. That's my guess, as my final solution was more or less re-implementing that in software, without knowing it (I just looked up that Mode 7 was a way to scale and transform every scanline on the screen).

Attempt 1: Use multiple cameras showing different parts of the map.

The engine, HaxeFlixel, lets you add cameras to the game to show different parts of the screen. I thought I could use these to show distorted chunks of the screen to 'look ahead' - as I sort of expected, the math behind this was kind of messy, it didn't look good at all, and the performance was probably really bad, not to mention it would cause issues with the way the pause menu works. A lot of uninteresting things. I scrapped the idea.

Attempt 2: Display the background (bg) in 8px strips, and scale the strips along the x axis

So after realizing the brokenness of the previous method, Joni sent me a racing game tutorial. The idea was to break a flat image into chunks, and scale them along the x-axis. I was worried about performance ahead of time like usual (don't do this) and so I figured out a solution pretty easily by treating the world map as a single spritesheet - the world map is w by h pixels, for each row on the screen, make a sprite, have it load the world map as a sprite sheet where each frame is w by 8 pixels, and give it h/8 many animations. 

Change its animation based on its screen-row index, and the y-position of the camera.

This looked okay, but there was some noticeable banding around where the chunks separated.

For this method I needed (h/ch) + 1 chunks (ch = chunk height). Because there were only (h/8) animations, the chunks actually had to move with the camera so many pixels before they changed animations. Chunk 'i', would start at (i/8) on the screen, playing a certain animation. It doesn't move with the camera (think fixed GUI text). So as the camera displaying the original world map moved down, chunk i will have to move up. After the camera moves up 8 pixels, the chunk must play a new animation.

Because of this, there would be an non-chunked gap int he bottom as I moved. So I needed 1 more than (h/ch) chunks.

Scale it

To make a perspective effect, the further up a strip was, the more shrunk it was in the x direction. The further down it was, the more wide it was.

This was fine, but it looked kind of funny, so I tried 1 px chunks.

Attempt 3: Same as above, smaller strips.

Eventually I realized that 1px chunks were ok, because I only needed 256 to fill the entire screen. Also, this way the chunks would never need to move, because there would be one animation from the spritesheet for each row of pixels in the spritesheet.

It turned out the performance on this was fine, and it actually looked pretty okay.

So here's how the method looks, first pass.

this is a test world map

This is me messing around, of course, when I was only testing a section at the top of the screen. But the general idea was there.

Here's a better attempt at using it:

This is nice, but Joni noticed it looked sort of funny, because if this was a traditional perspective drawing, the top rows would also be shrunk in the y direction. But, we can't shrink a 1 pixel sprite in the y-direction! Oh no!

Method 4: Scaling in the y, pass 1.

Scaling something down - it's basically picking pixels that make the smaller image still sort of look like it. Sometimes, when the target size doesn't have enough pixels, you can interpolate things. Most scaling software does this. I can't really afford that sort of thing at 60 FPS in software, especially with the current method.

So we wanted scale stuff down gradually nearer to the top, and scale stuff up nearer to the bottom, to give a perspective effect.

Since the player is centered in the world map, as long as that part of the map isn't too distorted from the original image, the collisions in the final map will still feel fine.

Initially what I did was - the further a chunk was from the center of the screen, the "further away" from its correct row it would show.

As this image shows - the map seems to move much slower near the top. This is because I said - if a row is within 16 pixels of the top of the screen (in screen-space), then make it display 4*(16-i) pixels further up than it should.

This is a hint of what we were going for, but obviously has that awkward boundary, and the y-scaling isn't throughout the entire screen

Method 5: Screen-wide scaling, naive displacement-function

So, I would need to offset stuff amongst the whole screen, and I would want to do this algorithimically so that it's easy to tweak.

The first thing I tried was the same as above - but every pixel affected.

The general aim was: within 16 pixels of the center, display the 'correct' animation. Between 16-32, display "1 pixel away" from the row below it. And so on. This was pretty easy to do. I used sequences for this.

The sequence, S, more or less, was like 0,1,1,1,1,...2,2,2,2,...

Think of that as the "distance from lower neighbor" for pixel 128, 127, 126, ... , 0. (S_0, or 0, is the 0th element of the sequence S, or in this case, is pixel 128's 'distance from lower neighbor' is an edge case - it's treated as 0 for these purposes.)

So to get the actual offset from the center (128), you sum all values before a given value, including that value, and that's the offset you use.

E.g.:

offset_i = sum(128,i) v_i

where v_i = element (128-i) of sequence S.

Here's a funny bug from working on this.

For the careful reader: you may have noticed: this totally won't work for the bottom half of the screen - we want it *closer* to us, not further.

But... how do we do this? Well... in theory, the further to the bottom you get, the more likely a given row is a duplicate of the row above it.

Thus our sequence, from row 128 to 255, would look something like

0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

But...how do we generate such a sequence?

Method 6: Generating such a sequence via dithering

Turns out that such a sequence was also necessary for fixing a new problem with the top half of the screen: the noticeable borders from where distances between pixels increased. i.e., in the sequence - where 1 became 2, and 2 became 3, etc - you could see some meh seams.

Enter dithering!!!

Dithering is more or less interpolating between two values. We used the word 'dithering' for some reason. In pixel art, it's giving the illusion of shading by (Google it), etc.

So I made this complicated method that used floor() and ceil(), but then joni made a cool visual chart to show that we could use rounding to get the desired effect.

The visual intuition was - if you take the background image, and start drawing horizontal lines from the top, but draw them successively clsoer -if you draw 256 of those lines, and round each line to the cloest row, then if you play those animations, you get the desired effect.

When it was implemented in code, the idea was:

- Generate a array of 255 values, showing each row's 'distance' from its upper neighbor. This sequence, S2 looks something like 0.58, 0.6, 0.7, .....

- Use the same summation method to get each row's cumulative distance from the bottom

- Because the center of the screen should always display (Camera_y + 128), subtract off S_128 from everything so that S_128 = 0 and everything else represents how far that row is from row 128

- round all the values in the sequence to the nearest integer

Now, we have a sequence, S3, like:

-10,-8,-7,-6,...,0,...,67,68,69,70,70

Meaning row i should play animation #(camera_y + 128 + S3_i + S3_128).

If you'll notice - the higher a row on the screen, the lower to the left in that sequence it takes. So the further away you are, the more likely you are to 'skip' a row, giving the illusion of being further away.

Likewise, the lower ar ow on a screen, the more likely to play a duplicate.

The equation we ended up using was just linear. so a c_lo + (c_hi - c_lo) * (i/256)  = S2_i.

If you'll notice - the distances between the numbers in S3 are precisely what we wanted for the "distances between pixels' function. The example I gave is 2, 1, 1, ..., 1, 1, 1, 0, 0.

And this looked good! Here's a bug I came across while doing it

I added some controls to let Joni tweak c_lo and c_hi and we settled on good values.

Here's the perspective we settled on: as you can see, Joni added boxes and lines to the image, to see how they distort, to achieve the desired perspective. The different pictures are testing different mist overlays with different blend modes.

Hooray! We did it... right?

Addendum: oh wait some stuff looks bad

Okay, so small , rounded pictures on the map, while the camera moved up or down, had some sort of 'seam' you could tell, from where there was a "hole" in the distance-between-neighbor sequence, something like 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1 - the two indicates a skipped pixel. So I needed to add some random jitter to the screen.

Basically how I achieved this was by : if the camera y position modulo 3 is 0, if a row index is even, and the player is moving up or down, have that row play a pixel below what I decided it should play.

It works good enough.

wait it's hella slow and leaks memory

This had to do with using 256 sprites or something. I ended up refactoring some code to use one sprite and just have the sprite redraw itself to the camera with a different animation, y scale, and y position. It's faster and uses much less memory and now doesn't leak anymore, or whatever. yay

In the end

The effect is pretty subtle, but noticeable in game at 60fps and pretty nice. We actually added a black border to the screen For Design Reasons I'll get into later.

Here's what it looks like in game with our current rough world map:

Other notes

The only reason this works is because we use a single large PNG as the background layer. We use this method for all of the area art - it doesn't blow up memory usage because we limit the layers to 3200x3200 pixels (RGBA) and deallocate the spritesheets from memory after leaving a given area. We also only use a few layers per map - thus each layer is at max, 42 MB or so - so memory-wise, this is a viable solution.

Anyways, there is a drawback, of course, that being - we can't add any sort of animations directly on the map itself. E.g., animated water tiles or something. In theory it's possible - but it would be too expensive, memory wise.

However, artistic limitations are good! They narrow down your solution space for a particular style, allowing you to refine faster.

In the next post, I'll get into all that game design stuff. This coding post ended up a lot longer than expected.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:59:26 PM by Sean HTCH » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 02, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »

awesome stuff!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1597 on: October 03, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

bump, check out the useful post i just made!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1598 on: October 08, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »

Hey everyone,

So, we are making good progress. I'm holding off on the world map design post until we finish the world map design completely, though I have enough to make a sizeable post right now, I think.

Lately I've been working on some early tutorial areas. We're making these optional "learn the entity" areas, where some of the early game's entities (the things you interact with in the power plants - wind, lasers, etc) appear, and some NPCs explain them. This is meant for beginners who might want to play around with some of the entities before going into one of the main areas.

That, and there are characters there to meet, as well. So it fleshes out the world and serves a clear game design purpose, which is nice.

We're of the camp that believes in using words when necessary!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1599 on: October 12, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »

So... I'm working on finishing scripting associated with those places. I'm also cnnecting the main city area together, and adding in some scripting and dialogue here and there. It's nice to be realizing these sorts of final structures. Today, Joni is working on a bunch of art and level geometry planning for those areas.

On Saturday, I also worked on the song for the intro title sequence - the sort of thing that usually happens after a studio's logo but before the file select, you know. I think it's a nice song, but it still needs some work.

This is a version from a few weeks ago. Right now it's about 3 minutes long, I think the final version might be around 4, though. The intro sequence proobbbably isn't going to be 4 minutes, probably just 1-2, MAYBE. Maybe less than 1.

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/eto-pre-title-theme-wip

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic