Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:38:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318487 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »

had some time to sit down.

still didnt do attribute editing, but now there is a shitty menu for selecting what entity you want to plce. you can also edit the main tile collision later. support to be extended later as we need it.

working on this one main mechanic so we can start playing with it. VAGUE!!!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »

okay. moving to haxe. luckily i haven't written a ton of code (just the editor, which re-writing in haxe will be useful).

why?

1. performance
2. no more relying on adobe air magic

downsides

1. might have to muck around in cpp more than i would desire for ctonroller support and possible other things
2. Huh?

okay, yeah. this is a little painful now but i think itll be useful in the long run

play hydlide 2
Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:30 AM »

Since I believe you used Flixel for Anodyne, do you plan to use HaxeFlixel here? I've played with it a bit, and it seemed quite cool.

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 05:01:25 AM »

Since I believe you used Flixel for Anodyne, do you plan to use HaxeFlixel here? I've played with it a bit, and it seemed quite cool.

yup Smiley

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »

okay, began learning the nuances of haxe..making a list of weird tings about it. ...luckily the flixel API is really the same (stuff is of course implemented a little differently than i'm used to but ill learn it as i need it). got input management and some basic stuff working fine (loading a tilemap, etc), should be able to finish porting the rest in a few days.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »

at gdc so busy. but i was at jon's on monday, we discussed and worked through some of the game narrative and world design. almost back to where i was with the editor in HaXe which is great.  - will get back to full work once i get back from gdc.s

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »

worked a bit more on world structure, tying mechanics to narrative with Jon. I think we have something pretty solid now in terms of idea, now to do implementation of details Smiley ... also managed to figure out hacking 22.5 degree slopes into haxe flixel's extended tilemap class. which forced me to finally really learn how it works!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:11 PM »

Also serialization for tilemaps, working on serializing properties (Solid, angled, etc)

then, auto-generating a file that embeds all of those CSV/property files/etc  for use by the game.

blah, it's pretty apparent what needs to be done I guess, just need to grind it out.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »

HUUUUUUGE UPDATE.

play hydlide 2
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »

Awesome. So how close are you guys going to make it to Zelda II? Are you going to have the overworld and all or just the side-scrolling segments?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »

APRIL FOOLZ sory

but we have played zelda ii a bit so there might be influence??!? no world map though like that, or the battles - less combat focused

got to sit down with the editor for a bit. 1.5 hours so far and got a lot working, a few more and the functionality i need should maybe be done. then i need to write scripts to auto-generate the embedding code the game will use for the "normal game" at runtime (i.e., embed map files, background images, tilesets, and create hashes for them so the game can lookup baesd on the map's name and metadata, etc).

well, i might go easy on the auto-gen. maybe it's not worth the time to do that.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »

placing entities, not liking it and then reloading an old version from disk. rejoice.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »

you can create new maps in-game, edit them, add entities, save them, and switch maps in game now. all in a sanely-done fashion. need to write code to make the game's embedded things - game data will exist within the engine at run-time, in-game edits get saved to disk and also into memory -need to write hte python script that parses directory contents and creates a haxe file that becomes those runtime embedded things

oaky that was incoherent. but a lot of the hard stuff is done~~

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »

more progress on the editor. I am SOOO close to having it usable by jon and I. interesting things happen when you plan the game around data. but it is quite neat to just edit some text file, hit a button in your game, and boom it responds to it...this is somuch better than the alternative with anodyne, where we had to edit some hardcoded crap and recompile.

a little roadblock though, to get our money through a certain avenue we need a business account...i guess this is good, we needed to be forced to incorporate at some point and get this legal stuff out of the way...turns out that making money is actually pretty hard...

but that's coming along, sort of.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »

okay, did some last stuff...it is working well. good enough for me.

there are various things i need to add, like animated tile scripting, but we can make levels now! yay! WE CAN WORK ON THE FUCKING GAME FINALLY.

game play soon.

figured out more with the LLC stuff for jon and i. it shall end next week, I hope. bleh

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »

finally got to take a break (I think I have the LLC stuff figured out for now!! finishing it up early next week...) from coding the editor and doing business stuff to work on some music.

since we have a roughyl agreed upon game structure, we are thinking abot the intro area and intro stuff. i made a rough little audio sketch  - http://tindeck.com/listen/bnai

play hydlide 2
poe
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »

Very nice.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »

sss

less borign stuff next week I SWEAR

play hydlide 2
mason