Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:15:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318524 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »

GOOD EYE

finally did this this weekend

play hydlide 2
DesTomate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »

gfx look good nice.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »

i avoided falling asleep in my political theory class today by drawing out the intro level more.

i also did additions to the editors.

anyways here's something stupid

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »

there game mechancis

play hydlide 2
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »

eeeenteresting

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 06:57:24 AM »

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »

player movemetn bug fixes, state transitions...between some of the states...

going to read a bit, then plan out some stuff that i need to plan a bit more

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »

urk, I think we are very close to figuring out how we tie in mechanics from one part to another.

this will make sense if we finish the game, I swear.

like, stuff is being implemented, but stuff is also being figured out. does tha tmake sense? like a program. kind of. this game is a program. but also is a set of floaty ideas.

weird.

play hydlide 2
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2013, 04:04:50 AM »

Powerful mechanics inside great graphics so far!

I like the in game editor thing, you don't see any issues doing everything in game? Can you script there too?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »

I like the in game editor thing, you don't see any issues doing everything in game? Can you script there too?

HAHAHA yeah. I'm wondering how much of the game to actually show, I think it would be more fun to not reveal it. But at some point we'll want to test a demo of sorts. iono.

No, I don't foresee any issues with doing stuff in-game, at least with what we have planned.

For scripting, it would be nice if I could do that with the code and be able to refresh in-game but I can't figure out what works well with HaXe, or what the performance would be like. I guess I could just make up some scripting language and read that in and have stuff behave based on it - I might do that if the more tricky entities (Bosses) get out of hand. But for the most part, the in-editor stuff I have is for help with level editing.

I've just usually hardcoded my cutscenes. Which is fucking awful I guess. Maybe I'll think of a better way to do it when that time comes?

play hydlide 2
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »

HAHAHA yeah. I'm wondering how much of the game to actually show, I think it would be more fun to not reveal it. But at some point we'll want to test a demo of sorts. iono.

No, I don't foresee any issues with doing stuff in-game, at least with what we have planned.

For scripting, it would be nice if I could do that with the code and be able to refresh in-game but I can't figure out what works well with HaXe, or what the performance would be like. I guess I could just make up some scripting language and read that in and have stuff behave based on it - I might do that if the more tricky entities (Bosses) get out of hand. But for the most part, the in-editor stuff I have is for help with level editing.

I've just usually hardcoded my cutscenes. Which is fucking awful I guess. Maybe I'll think of a better way to do it when that time comes?

aren't you using python or something to do some scripting thing somehow? If you ever do this or whatever, you should totally write a blogpost about it so idiots me can see how it's done

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »

Well, I had used python in the past to convert some arbitrary dialogue flat file into objects for AS3 (that's what anodyne does). But I realized I could just skip that step by embedding text files and parsing them myself ingame.

If I can figure out a sane way to make a scripting language to control basic things about some entities, I might do that. It's probablynot that hard, I just need to think about it a bit. I think the idea would be to make a series of commands that wait for conditions to be fulfilled, and use this helper skeleton class to make entities act some way till a condition is filled, then do the next thing, etc.

play hydlide 2
Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »

I haven't used haxe for a few years now, but to me it seems possible to use hscript as a scripting language while developing the game and then compiling the scripts with the regular haxe compiler for deployment. Since hscript isn't a full implementation of haxe it would limit you a bit, but I guess you only need live reloading for some basic behavior anyway.
CryingGhost
Level 0

gomennasai

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

Wow I don't understand ANY of this coding talk :/
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »

I haven't used haxe for a few years now, but to me it seems possible to use hscript as a scripting language while developing the game and then compiling the scripts with the regular haxe compiler for deployment. Since hscript isn't a full implementation of haxe it would limit you a bit, but I guess you only need live reloading for some basic behavior anyway.

yeah. I still dont really know where the best spot to use it would be o_o maybe i'll figure it out in the next game or not. probably when i get to cutscenes ill forcemyself to use it.

as for updates, jon and i figured out more withthe overarching design, ah, fels good

play hydlide 2
Trettyhan
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »

Looking nice! Great decision for going for an editor right away, I think it brings "I can test things NOW rather than recompiling this shi* million times" kinda mojo.

As I'm an baby into programming (eating, drinking and shi*** C# right now, and farting rainbows), Anodyne IS an amazing inspiration. I know an art piece when I see one. I told myself couple days ago "Ok, this is special. Next game from these guys is a instant blind buy for me".

Then I see this tread, oh the joy :_D

Anodyne made me feel the good feel that I felt many years ago playing Arc the Lad, oh damn. Know that game?

Hey, great work so far, I'm going to follow this tread to keep track of the progress.

I don't have much to offer since I'm just at baby steps at programming, but hope I can trow some feedback along the way as I progress.

Thanks for the amazing inspiration and keep up that damn good work!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »

thank you!

we figured out more with world structure. I think that's close to 100% (not the details of it, but the skeletons which will be inside of them).

i did some little editor things, but not much. i wnat to plya video gaes

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »

only did a little bit of work yesterday...i want to actually finish playing a game (la mulana). but i'll likely implement some more entities today.

or study some geography...and climates. it's interesting the things you need to research a bit sometimes

play hydlide 2
SprouttheGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »

Will be watching. I like the blood raindrops from your first video

http://sproutthegame.blogspot.com/
Our blog. Please visit!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »