Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998192 Posts in 39146 Topics- by 30558 Members - Latest Member: Ilya Salamatov

April 18, 2014, 03:29:47 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsDEMO AVAILABLE! Even the Ocean (from makers of Anodyne)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: DEMO AVAILABLE! Even the Ocean (from makers of Anodyne)  (Read 62505 times)
seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »

so do I!

I got a lot done yesterday. Fixing some music cues, fixed the multiple saving, some design.

Today I need to do a homework assignment. Doesn't look like it will take very long.

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »

so much fun stuff figuring out shit with playing sounds in NME.

GUESS WHAT only one MP3 at a time. but it works with OGG out of the box so that's nice. BUT you have to load them and get em ready at runtime or else they lag the game wheny ou try to fetch them.

lots of weird caveats, but it's allg ood i guess

so we're moving entirely to ogg. which is fine anyways. mp3 is proprietary and weird apparently.

SolarLune
Level 10

Hmm.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »

Well, OGG is open, seems to compress to a file a tiny bit smaller than MP3, and apparently sounds better at lower bitrates anyway. I get OGG for my music files whenever I can from BandCamp, hah.

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:17 AM »

GUESS WHAT only one MP3 at a time. but it works with OGG out of the box so that's nice. BUT you have to load them and get em ready at runtime or else they lag the game wheny ou try to fetch them.
so we're moving entirely to ogg. which is fine anyways. mp3 is proprietary and weird apparently.

NME sound playback is limited by SDL_Mixer, which is terrible. I think they're in the process of upgrading to use OpenAL and that'll fix most issues. The one-song-at-a-time thing is more of a hardware restriction since NME is designed to work directly on iOS.

I currently use OGG for music. MP3 stutters badly when playing back under SDL_Mixer.

Also, don't manually stop any sounds. There's a bug in the NME sound logic that never frees sound resources after manually stopping them. After 8 such stops, nothing further will play. This goes for looping sounds too. I hack around it by never stopping looping sounds, just lowering the volume to zero. With only 2 looping sounds in the whole game, this "works".

mushroomized
Level 6

haha im tired

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:35 AM »

NME sound playback is limited by SDL_Mixer, which is terrible. I think they're in the process of upgrading to use OpenAL and that'll fix most issues. The one-song-at-a-time thing is more of a hardware restriction since NME is designed to work directly on iOS.

I currently use OGG for music. MP3 stutters badly when playing back under SDL_Mixer.

Also, don't manually stop any sounds. There's a bug in the NME sound logic that never frees sound resources after manually stopping them. After 8 such stops, nothing further will play. This goes for looping sounds too. I hack around it by never stopping looping sounds, just lowering the volume to zero. With only 2 looping sounds in the whole game, this "works".

*takes notes sobbing to self

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »

OGG has worked out really sexy for me too.

SO FAR.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »

I, uh, well, wow. holy shit. That's absolutely horrible. I guess I need to find a workaround, this game will probably have 30+ songs x_x.

Well I guess I can just (when fading a song out and the next one in) I can just put the fading out one's position at the end. I'll need to make a separate object for the other song (And every song) but I guess I can deal with that.

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »

i wonder if it's easy to fix?  but..probably not

to google!

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

It's impossible to fix or workaround without going to the CPP i think. You can't do anything to the sound except let it stop on its own, and you can't set a song's position (I think).

So I spent too long trying to get openAl working (they're trying to implement it I think). dunno if that's finished, but i'm stuck atm.

well this sucks. but i guess it'll be fixed eventually, or maybe i can fix it now idk

http://www.nme.io/community/forums/installing-nme/compiling-openal/#ccm-discussion-post-anchor

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »

It's impossible to fix or workaround without going to the CPP i think. You can't do anything to the sound except let it stop on its own, and you can't set a song's position (I think).

Right, getting/setting sound position doesn't work on CPP using SDL_Mixer.

I think the stopping-sounds bug doesn't affect streaming sounds. This means specifying the type as "music" in the NMML and giving up cross-fades. So if you've only got one of those going at a time, you may be ok without CPP changes. Sorry I didn't mention that before.

The alternative workaround is to manually loop the songs yourself using a timer. That way you can do the set-volume-to-zero hack and let it end on its own. Might work ok with short songs.

It's a pain in the ass but I still think these small hacks and tweaks are way, way better than the headache of getting a full C++ SDL engine working smoothly across multiple platforms. And the fact that the flash target compiles nearly-instantly has been a huge advantage for me during development. Still love Haxe/NME Smiley

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:15 PM »

Hmm, I'll look into that for now! I was talking with Sven, apparently he and Josh are fixing up the OpenAL implementation and it should be done soon (And I spent all day figuring out how to get dev build stuff set up). So hopefuly that will work then. But for now, that sounds good with setting one music thing.

Yeah. Definitely, this is really great stuff otherwise, and this is really just a hiccup they know about (And are fixing!).

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

cool. that embedding as music thing works fine. woooooooooo phew ahhhh thank god

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »

didn't do much over the weekend because i did a lot of real ife stuff saturday and then studying sunday. but i got in some small things planned out to implement. soi 'm happy.

seagaia
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »

"Wow sean when are we going to see some art"

not yet..

I found some time to do boring things like camera and song triggers. Which are important in parts. And some design-y things too...also ways in which the game world(s) progress...

vague!

mushroomized
Level 6

haha im tired

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »

didn't do much over the weekend because i did a lot of real ife stuff saturday and then studying sunday. but i got in some small things planned out to implement. soi 'm happy.
GAMES ARE REAL LIFEEEEEEEEE

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic