Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:23:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTransistor - New game from Supergiant Games
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Transistor - New game from Supergiant Games  (Read 5796 times)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »

This is best news since Jesus died for our sins Tears of Joy

http://supergiantgames.com/?p=1816

It's much more similar to Bastion than I expected (which is awesome), but still not too similar. Looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:39:13 AM by Netsu » Logged

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »

Consider myself hyped. If anything the setting and story sound interesting enough to get. The music also sounds like it is going to be REALLY AWESOME if the trailer is any indication.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »

I really like that style, and science fiction setting.

But it's release st so far away (a year at the earliest) I don't see the point in posting a thread about it. Not much to talk about.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »

But it's release st so far away (a year at the earliest) I don't see the point in posting a thread about it. Not much to talk about.

There will be a playable build at PAX this week, I hope someone will upload some footage.

poe
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »

I wish they strayed a bit more gameplay wise, but god do I love this music. The narrator for the first game is doing voice work in this one as well.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

SUPER pumped, in every regard. Bastion was one of the (very) few games where I completed it and immediately went through and replayed it in its entirety. And I'm not usually one for replaying, rereading, rewatching stuff. (Though I did play Dragon Age: Origins three times back to back, so...)

olücæbelel
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

I think the next logical step in terms of gameplay would be to go full 3D graphics, but considering their painted aesthetic it seems this would be the best choice. Might as well stick with what you know and can balance, while taking a different setting and plot.

Also, Dat Music - remind me to do more vocal themes.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »

X

X

(just kidding, looks excellent)
Although I'd rather see what they'd create more outside of their comfort zone. Nevertheless, I'm fairly sure it will be good and great to look at.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »

Hahaha, I thought it was a bit like Konjak meets FFXIII for some reason. Though the sword has a serious resemblance to the buster sword  Grin

vexille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 06:26:49 AM »

I can't say I'm not a least a little bit disappointed that it seems to play so much like Bastion, but the art and music are simply astonishing. Hopefully it'll just be superficially similar to Bastion with really awesome new mechanics.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 06:50:13 AM »

I don't like it that much that it's so similar to Bastion in terms of gameplay, on the other hand I loved the trailer and it's music, reminded me of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:16:26 AM »

looks good; i liked bastion ok and got to the end (though didn't finish the final level) but it's a pretty average game, so i expect this game to also be average

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:15 AM »

It's a shame you didn't finish the final level. It's got one of the best examples of diegetic storytelling I've seen in a game.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »

So hype. Loved bastion's art/music/writing, liked bastion's gameplay.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »

Loved bastion's art/music/writing, liked bastion's gameplay.

Pretty much what I wanted to write to Paul. Maybe the 'game' itself was average (though I think it was really good) but the combination of writing, storytelling, music and art direction was the best I ever saw.

I'd say you should finish the final level before saying it's average, but if the game up until then didn't pull you in enough for you to finish it then you probably wouldn't be as impressed with the finale as I was anyway.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:21:25 AM by Netsu » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »

story driven games...
I can get behind that.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
feminazi
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »

bastion was fucking boring. hope this doesn't play like that again because i like the look
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »

Loved bastion's art/music/writing, liked bastion's gameplay.

Pretty much what I wanted to write to Paul. Maybe the 'game' itself was average (though I think it was really good) but the combination of writing, storytelling, music and art direction was the best I ever saw.

I'd say you should finish the final level before saying it's average, but if the game up until then didn't pull you in enough for you to finish it then you probably wouldn't be as impressed with the finale as I was anyway.

it was those parts that i thought were average, actually

the graphics: i liked the color selection, but it felt too cluttered; there were so many tiny objects on the screen that it was hard to pay attention to anything

the storytelling: i barely remember anything about it, except that everyone vanished for mysterious reasons. it felt too empty. no interesting characters, a personality-less main character, etc.

music: i don't remember a single song from it. doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not memorable

the gameplay itself i liked: i felt that it was a basic top-down shooter, similar to alien shooter or zombie shooter, waves of enemies keep coming and you shoot them as they come. the weapon variety was good but not great. but due to the lack of enemy variety, it got boring quickly, since you'd kill the same type of enemy hundreds of times. if they had had a greater enemy variety the gameplay would have been a lot better

i also feel it had a lot of wasted potential with the narration system. the guy talking in the background narrating the player's actions could have been pulled off a lot better, it was such a great idea, but they only did the basics with it and weren't very inventive

i will finish it one day, but i lost my save file in a computer crash near the end so i'd have to replay through the entire game to get to that point, which i'm not looking forward to doing

also, you may be thinking my standards are too high for art and music in an indie title. but keep in mind the game had a two MILLION dollar budget. for two million i'd have expected better
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:02:52 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 02:28:44 AM »

the storytelling: i barely remember anything about it, except that everyone vanished for mysterious reasons. it felt too empty. no interesting characters, a personality-less main character, etc.

music: i don't remember a single song from it. doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not memorable

the gameplay itself i liked: i felt that it was a basic top-down shooter, similar to alien shooter or zombie shooter, waves of enemies keep coming and you shoot them as they come. the weapon variety was good but not great. but due to the lack of enemy variety, it got boring quickly, since you'd kill the same type of enemy hundreds of times. if they had had a greater enemy variety the gameplay would have been a lot better

i also feel it had a lot of wasted potential with the narration system. the guy talking in the background narrating the player's actions could have been pulled off a lot better, it was such a great idea, but they only did the basics with it and weren't very inventive

i will finish it one day, but i lost my save file in a computer crash near the end so i'd have to replay through the entire game to get to that point, which i'm not looking forward to doing

also, you may be thinking my standards are too high for art and music in an indie title. but keep in mind the game had a two MILLION dollar budget. for two million i'd have expected better

The feeling of emptiness and the unspecific, vague characters was what made the storytelling, writing and the story itself so great and engaging for me. The narration could have been taken further, but I didn't love it because it was tied to my actions (as you say, it could have been pulled off a lot better) but because the writing, pacing, and the voice actor himself were amazing. For me the narration was just about storytelling, not about commenting my playstyle.
I can't say anything about the music except I listen to the soundtrack every now and then and it's definitely my favourite game soundtrack of all time. The final song left me staring at the outro sequence feeling like something really amazing has just came to a close. I only ever got this feeling from finishing Planescape: Torment and a few of my favourite books. Purely a matter of taste I guess.

Yeah, I don't care what the budget was really, I like it better than pretty much every AAA game I know. Money can't buy you something like this.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 03:09:12 AM »

I thought the one part of the combat that irked me the most was the plants. They would just sit there, spitting out spikes. I would just walk to them at an angle, then click until they were dead. In a game where the rest was all dodging, weaving, and quick attacks, that really broke the flow. Similar to the gun play in Mirror's Edge.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic