Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:44:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTransistor - New game from Supergiant Games
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Transistor - New game from Supergiant Games  (Read 5773 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »

that gameplay looks pretty good, wonder why they didn't show that stuff in that other trailer. suppose it would have made the trailer look less action-packed or something.

not sure I like that they're re-using the narrator from bastion.
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:53 PM »

Well, they surely break the typical thinking about sword. Got a giant sword? Slam the ground and shoot at the enemy!

I hope there's more than this though, currently it seems more like a cover shooter. Take cover, wait for the planning mode to fill up, plan, then execute, rinse and repeat.(from the IGN video)

Music wise, it really suit the mood of the theme, but then i'm not really a fan of a song where girl just humming in the background.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »

totalbiscuit uploaded a video. it's the same gameplay demo but the interview is different. he seems to like the combat system, and the developer talking seems like he knows what he's doing (inre: combat) so  I don't think it will devolve into cover-wait-attack-cover-etc. at least I hope not. if you do watch that boss fight near the end, it instantly destroys cover so you can't rely on it there.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

the enemies breaking apart and you needing to touch their parts before they re-assemble seems antithetical to any type of cover system, since you'll be running around touching the parts

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »

Hmm...after seeing that TotalBiscuit's video, it's kinda clear now how stuff going to work, most probably because the video didn't get zoom in like IGN video does, and the commentary really help alot, cause if not because of the commentary, i won't even know the enemy can come back.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »

The way they avoid talking about release platforms right now worries me. Is it possible it would be an xbox exclusive or something? Xbox seems like a safe bet seeing the control pop-ups.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »

With as much money as Bastion made on PC, I seriously doubt they wouldn't release it here. They have a ton of fans on PC, there is even a Rucks announcer for Dota2. Which happens to be the most popular announcer.

And even most PC games use the Xbox controller during events like this, just much easier that way. But still, Xbox is a safe bet.

edit: TotalBiscuit uploaded a new video, uncommentated so you can hear the sounds better:

Sounds like the guy speaking is actually the sword? Not exactly sure.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:43:38 PM by allen » Logged
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »

The sword actually has the guy's mind uploaded into it, hence the narration coming directly from the sword.

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »

yeah, the sword glow when he speak.

and i get ninja-ed Ninja

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »

looks good; i liked bastion ok and got to the end (though didn't finish the final level) but it's a pretty average game, so i expect this game to also be average

I agree with this. Though I didn't stick through to the end. I really liked the game to begin with, then it kept throwing all this RPG grinding shit at me. With dedicated grinding levels!

It's the same bullshit that Jamestown pulled. Asking me to play the same shit over and over to unlock underwhelming new abilities.

The only games I want to play over and over have procedural generation in them or - and this is rare - are amazing games.

-

Still everybody seemed to love those games so I guess grinding is the way forward.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2013, 02:24:49 PM »

I agree with this. Though I didn't stick through to the end. I really liked the game to begin with, then it kept throwing all this RPG grinding shit at me. With dedicated grinding levels!

It's the same bullshit that Jamestown pulled. Asking me to play the same shit over and over to unlock underwhelming new abilities.

What? Where was there any grinding in Bastion? There were the challenges, but those were exactly that - challenges, I only ever did them for fun and for the achievements (after finishing the game for the first time) because they are completely optional.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »

It's so much optional content that I'm basically only interested in a 3rd of the game.

I found none of the challenges remotely fun at all. So the game just kept adding more and more content I wasn't interested in, until I didn't trust it anymore.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:51 PM »

i don't particularly mind grinding, but i mainly like grinding when it also has customization and personalization involved. in other words, if leveling up allows me a new decision for how to develop my characters' stats, abilities, and skills, i like it. if it's "automatic" and it just means a little bit more of every stat with no decisions to make for how to improve a character (no skill tree, no important equipment choices, no class changes, etc.) then it isn't very fun

basically, grinding in a game like final fantasy 4 tends not to be fun, since there's no difference at all between your level 50 cecil and your friend's level 50 cecil, but grinding in a game like final fantasy tactics is fun, because you are constantly making decisions about how to develop your party -- what classes to turn characters into, which skills to learn from those classes, how to equip them, and so on

bastion gave you a couple of choices of which skills and weapons to use, but the decisions never felt meaningful; there wasn't much functional difference between them, or else there was often clearly a best choice that everyone took, there wasn't much in the way of situational customization

i think that was due to the limited enemy variety, really. most action rpgs have dozens of different types of enemies, bastion felt like it had less than 10. it's hard to maintain a 20 hour game when there are only 10 types of enemies (since it means you could spend 2 hours or more without ever encountering anything new in the way of combat). so overall the pacing felt like it needed a makeover

fighting enemies always felt like an annoying task to me, i ran on automatic, doing it by rote, doing the same thing over and over, killing the same enemies over and over, it was not something that was fun. and developing my character felt brainless; there was very little creativity in choosing which weapon to use for which level. so everything i enjoy about rpgs (customization, creativity, strategic combat) it didn't have

also, many action rpgs, like zelda, darksiders, dark souls, secret of mana, kingdom hearts, etc., have puzzles to break up the monotony of combat. bastion, as far as i can recall, didn't have any puzzles at all. it was just a romp through new areas, fighting every step of the way. why didn't they include some puzzles?

still, it did a few interesting things, and obviously a lot of work went into the game. i don't regret playing it or anything. but i guess i just don't get why this game is so widely praised while games that i enjoyed much more are ignored. for instance, did you guys ever hear of guardian of paradise? it's a pretty great, and free, indie zeldalike / action-rpg, that i enjoyed a lot more than bastion

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=rakuga

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »

i don't particularly mind grinding, but i mainly like grinding when it also has customization and personalization involved.
customization and personalization without grinding is the best tho
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 05:57:05 AM »

i don't particularly mind grinding, but i mainly like grinding when it also has customization and personalization involved.
but then they have to add content

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 06:41:51 AM »

Exactly why Baston played so good.

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile