Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038114 Posts in 41949 Topics- by 33561 Members - Latest Member: pixelone

September 01, 2014, 03:33:45 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTransistor - New game from Supergiant Games
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Transistor - New game from Supergiant Games  (Read 3348 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

Man Catguy is like super pissed that other people don't like the shitty game he likes.
Darren_D_Daley
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »

I liked the narration and the overall story, if I found anything forgettable it probably be the gameplay. I mean it serves it purpose but it wasn't really a step up from anything I've played before in the genre.

I like the look of Transistor but it does bear a lot of resemblance to Bastion and that is worrying, but I'II give them the benefit of the doubt for now.   

Life sucks and then you die.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »

also, to be clear, when i said that the problem i had with bastions art was that there was too much on the screen, i did not mean it was busy or that i was unable to figure things out, all i meant was simply that there was too much stuff on the screen at once, because the camera was zoomed out too far, and the sprites were too small. indie games commonly have that problem; the number one visual problem of most indie games is having a really large map with a really big field of view with really tiny sprites

if anything i'd say its problem is that it tries too hard to focus on gameplay, by giving a wide field of view which is good for gameplay, but bad for appreciating any of the art, because everything is so zoomed out that you can't see any details. bastion could easily have halved its resolution (so that you only see a much smaller area of the game) and still been playable, and it'd have looked a lot prettier

here's an example

http://supergiantgames.com/site/wp-content/uploads/Bastion_092010_00021.jpg

notice the sheer amount of stuff on that screen, and how the action is happening near the center, but it's zoomed so far out that you can't appreciate any individual sprite. each of the objects is individually pretty, but there's so much of it shown at once that you never have time to appreciate any of the individual objects

imagine if the field of view were just a smaller rectangle in the center surrounding the player. i think that'd have worked a lot better.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:44:25 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

Bastion is a game that looks ok in motion, but looks like a child playing with clipart if you look at a screenshot too long.

I mean, that screenshot looks like a joke if you look at it for more than 30 seconds.  Ignoring the background, the player, and the powerups there are 12 unique assets on the screen.  The rest are just the same thing scaled, rotated, and tinted.  Which means the shadows, lighting, etc. are all manners of fucked.  The wall in the upper right looks like it is floating on top of the crate next to it. The flipped over vendor stall in the upper right looks hilariously awful. 

Individually, the pieces look good, but all together it's a goddamn mess.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »

haha, i didn't even notice that stall! that does look weird yeah

and yeah that's a good point; the constant flipping and scaling and recoloring of art assets seems like a way to hide how few of them there are, but it has problems (e.g. shadows going two different ways for flipped objects)

and like i said, it's surprising that that's the best they could do for two million dollars. you'd think they'd have more than like 12 art assets rotated and recolored and resized for that amount of dough
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:14:54 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

feminazi
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »

those kind of errors look ok playing it on tv at whatever the console res is
i didnt even notice the character was 3d when playing it on xbox
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the artwork, either, although I think the artist herself is quite talented. Agree with Fallsburg that it doesn't come together well and falls well short of the high bar set by Vanillaware for that type of painted look.
Catguy
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Man Catguy is like super pissed that other people don't like the shitty game he likes.

You tigsource guys are wound TIGHT. I wouldn't say super pissed...

-
@Joseph_Catkilo
Currently seeking art clients | Hire me
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

gameplay video: http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2013/video.html?sid=6405837

it seems more strategic than the trailer has you believe; seems more interesting than bastion so far

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »

You tigsource guys are wound TIGHT. I wouldn't say super pissed...

it's not that, it's more that people on tigs (due to being game devs themselves) usually know how to live and let live. if someone likes or dislikes a game we don't like, who cares? it's all taste. arguing over whether a game is good or bad is something most indie game devs have moved beyond

and when devs do criticize games, they tend to make it very specific what they like and don't like about them (e.g. the discussion over the 12 reused and flipped resources) rather than calling a game all bad or all good

deathtotheweird
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »

that gameplay looks pretty good, wonder why they didn't show that stuff in that other trailer. suppose it would have made the trailer look less action-packed or something.

not sure I like that they're re-using the narrator from bastion.
Leon Fook
Level 4

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:53 PM »

Well, they surely break the typical thinking about sword. Got a giant sword? Slam the ground and shoot at the enemy!

I hope there's more than this though, currently it seems more like a cover shooter. Take cover, wait for the planning mode to fill up, plan, then execute, rinse and repeat.(from the IGN video)

Music wise, it really suit the mood of the theme, but then i'm not really a fan of a song where girl just humming in the background.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyD4FuvuOE

totalbiscuit uploaded a video. it's the same gameplay demo but the interview is different. he seems to like the combat system, and the developer talking seems like he knows what he's doing (inre: combat) so  I don't think it will devolve into cover-wait-attack-cover-etc. at least I hope not. if you do watch that boss fight near the end, it instantly destroys cover so you can't rely on it there.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

the enemies breaking apart and you needing to touch their parts before they re-assemble seems antithetical to any type of cover system, since you'll be running around touching the parts

Leon Fook
Level 4

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »

Hmm...after seeing that TotalBiscuit's video, it's kinda clear now how stuff going to work, most probably because the video didn't get zoom in like IGN video does, and the commentary really help alot, cause if not because of the commentary, i won't even know the enemy can come back.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic