Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:55:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkEva Project
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Eva Project  (Read 8686 times)
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »

Project links

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eva-Project/215065781966725
Game Web Site: http://www.evaproject.eu.pn/
Video Music Teaser: http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16964217/Eva_video_teaser
Project Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/8581361625/in/photostream/#

Project Overview:

A sci-fi game with stand alone missions, multi player, and modes.

Nav - http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/9122312055/in/photostream/
Hangar - http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/9122311967/

Races:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34405.0

Production method:

On hold

Positions:

1 - 3D modeller or artist preferably that could do both;
1 - programmer C++/LUA;

Contact method:

send portfolio/experience + why want to participate + time available + location

to : [email protected]

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:14:05 PM by jdc_01 » Logged
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »

Noone will make the game for you. Everyone has their own ideas. Either learn programming or drawing/making pixel art or both if you want to make games.
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »

Noone will make the game for you. Everyone has their own ideas. Either learn programming or drawing/making pixel art or both if you want to make games.

You beat me!

Anyway, what they said.  Also, your game doesn't sound like anything special.  What makes your game better than something I can buy today?  Nothing.  Bah!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »

Sounds like you have some experience in tangentially related areas. I suppose my advice would be to employ a single programmer for 3-6 months and make a prototype. Then set up a kickstarter to try to get the funds to employ the 20 or so other people that you say you need.

jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »

That's true, not counting much on others, its more like I'm working on my own, post my project, if any want to help great, but I'm designing it for a stand alone project. Can't count on a team that doesn't exist.

With out a working demo most people will discard it right away, but just trying it out.

I have the project posted in Unity and UDK forums , but I'm learning unity going with the simplest approach. If any one come along that have a more advanced knowledge then maybe I will move it to UDK.

People in UDK forums give a rely nice tips, worth posting to receive feedback.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:24:07 AM by jdc_01 » Logged
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »

I'd suggest sticking to unity, but also starting with a much simpler project.  You will learn so much over the course of making a few games that you will be in a much better position to start another project.  I'm working on (had to count) my 7th unity game, though I'm not sure I would call all of them a full game, but those are the ones playable on my site.  In a year and a half I went from rolling a ball around on boxes to an animated character running jumping and sliding through a colorful world (developing simultaneously for web, ios, and android)

Ludum dare is about a month away, may I suggest making some super simple games/reading tutorials til then and then doing the competition?  Its a nice way to put things in perspective and motivation you.  Short time competitions really help put into perspective how much work can be done in a given amount of time.
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »

Ya for what I know today if I go back I sure stick with another team project, or build my own small project. Moving from my first project which was a web browser game to a full 3D game is a bit to advanced in terms of programming. Any way the managing of a project, is a task of it's own. If people don't value that then they have to do it them self to see how much time consumption takes to answer to e-mails and chat with people. Draw the concept, and still find time to learn new things.

Maybe I end up joining another project, but at this stage I'm optimist that I can produce this title.

If you give up when you see the first difficulties then you can't go far.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:52:35 PM by jdc_01 » Logged
feminazi
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »

dum change da name
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:10:55 AM »

dum change da name
Learn to type like an adult instead of a child.

It depends on the game obviously, but if you are using an engine like unity I wouldn't say that a 3d game is necessarily harder to program than a 2d game.  There are things that can be harder such as making 3d models, rigging and animating them, but thats generally not part of the "programming".

Any way the managing of a project, is a task of it's own.
Not really on a small project, most indie games do no have a project manager nor do they need one as their team sizes can usually be counted on one hand.  Besides, you have worked on one small project for the web, why do you think you are qualified to manage a project?  I'm a software developer by trade, project managers usually have 5-10 years of experience working on projects before they manage them.  I've done several games, worked through at least 30 commercial software releases in my day job, and I am in no way qualified to be a project manager.

My advice once again, make some games, lose this fantasy of being the guy in charge, nobody wants to work for you.
Starkiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:28:48 AM »

7 programmers for this seems a bit is overkill  Roll Eyes

Even with my limited 3d programming skills i could manage to this without additional programmers.

One of the things about independent developers is being our own bosses, not having one Smiley

win/linux/ios/macos/wp7/xbox360 developer
- C#, Objective-C, Javascript, PHP.
- XNA/MonoGame, OpenGL/ES1, Direct3D.
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »

7 programmers for this seems a bit is overkill  Roll Eyes

Even with my limited 3d programming skills i could manage to this without additional programmers.

One of the things about independent developers is being our own bosses, not having one Smiley

Actually being able to estimate the amount of time and work that goes into a project and having it done on time on a schedule is one of those experience things.  These wild estimates are another reason you aren't qualified to manage a project.

Somewhat relevant, around here which isn't an expensive area (pittsburgh), rookies go for 40-50k, experienced 70-90k, and leads 100-120k.  One month salary would run 30-40k.  Not everything is about cold hard cash, but you better expect to have a carrot worth around that much.  Pretend its "profit share" and your game would take 1 year to complete (if you actually knew that reliably).  Do you really think your game would earn enough to cover expected payment?  1 year of those people's salaries would be about $900k to $1mil  (this isn't wild speculation, I am in the tech business)  Do you seriously think you have the experience to lead 1 million dollars worth of people?  You may as well say "I want to make a company to beat facebook, all I need are 2 lead programmers 8 experienced programmers, 12 entry level and 20 interns"
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

"My advice once again, make some games, lose this fantasy of being the guy in charge, nobody wants to work for you."

Stated it's a project to learn, you manage your own life and your own project, family or your things and I manage my own things. Claiming in front that is a hobbyist project to gain experience.

No one asked your opinion on how should I manage my project. The so called big company are a bit stuck up because people are starting to use engines like Unity and doing some rely nice games on a Indie basis. This decentralizes how game development will be done in the future.

There are several full game tutorials in Youtube on how to do a game from start to the end using Unity 3D.

The team posted is for UDK which is a bit more complex, but for a Unity project there is no such need for a team like that.

CowBoyDan you lose the fantasy that your game dev company will be in charge for the rest of your life.

feminazi
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »

dum change da name
Learn to type like an adult instead of a child.
ur mad
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

1x - Lead programmer - a experienced programmer to divide the project in to task's;
2x - Experienced programmers - develop the core mechanics;
4x - Rookie programmers - accomplish less experienced functionality;
1x - Concept artist - vehicle & weapon concepts;
2x - 3D Modeller - create physical models;
1x - Animator - animations for the weapons, buffs, explosion, power up, etc;
1x - Texture designer - create & improve textures;
1x - Map editor - develop and improve map according to the game mechanics;
1x - Menu designer - design in game menus;
1x - Sound editor - create music and game sounds: occupied by AV Audio studio;
1x - A web designer will also be good

Good news, being an independent games developer means that (for your first game at least) you will be doing all these tasks yourself. Welcome to the madhouse of multi-disciplinary creativity. How do people cope? Well, the best in the business often sacrifice many of those tasks to focus in on just a couple. The developers that do not sacrifice as many can take anywhere from 5-10 years to make a single game.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »

Claiming in front that is a hobbyist project to gain experience.
Try getting your experience without requiring a dozen people.  I wouldn't work with someone who hasn't finished either a really great game or a handful of smaller ones.

CowBoyDan you lose the fantasy that your game dev company will be in charge for the rest of your life.

I think you forgot to buy a verb.  I have no desire for a company, or a team.  I make the games I want to make myself.  I have worked with others before, they tend to prove unreliable even when the game is their idea in the first place.  Everyone's super awesome game idea becomes pretty boring when you are waiting months to finish it.

Good news, being an independent games developer means that (for your first game at least) you will be doing all these tasks yourself. Welcome to the madhouse of multi-disciplinary creativity. How do people cope? Well, the best in the business often sacrifice many of those tasks to focus in on just a couple. The developers that do not sacrifice as many can take anywhere from 5-10 years to make a single game.
Toast Left  or limit your scope to what you can reasonably accomplish
feminazi
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »

dont listen to cowboydan tho
he cant make games lol
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:15:40 PM »

Practical advice:  People who are likely to join up with an inexperienced project lead on a large project are generally inexperienced themselves.  You have a high likelihood of those team members flaking out during development which can be a project-killing event.

But you can't flake out on yourself because you can't escape yourself.  You're the perfect boss and the perfect employee.  Skills come easily with an investment of time.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »

Eva project is recruiting

Looking for members to join my project their profile can people that are starting to learn or more experienced user's. To gain experience on a hobbyist base.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 02:45:26 AM »

No. Stop that, please.
1 - Go to the Feedback thread, start posting pictures, wip demos, and interact.
2 - Show people it can be done, and you are buried up until your elbows in it and it's not a side project.
3 - Gather enough interest in your project.
4 - Possible gather a team then.

Yeah.
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »

eyeliner far from my self claiming something that I'm not. Working on the demo...

project photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/8581361625/in/photostream

Link to a music that I mix to the project video: http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16964217/Eva_video_teaser

working 12 hours per day 7 days per week.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:24:05 AM by jdc_01 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic