Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026758 Posts in 41166 Topics- by 32773 Members - Latest Member: robert.briscoe

July 25, 2014, 03:03:24 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderators: Glaiel-Gamer, ThemsAllTook)A closer look at the Loom Game Engine.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A closer look at the Loom Game Engine.  (Read 1151 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »

Not sure how many of you noticed Loom when it was released last month.  It's a 2D game engine based around an extended version of ActionScript, layered over Cocos2D.  It's currently ( 6 days remaining ) free, so if you want to check it out, now is the right time.

The last several weeks, I've been evaluating it and I have to say I rather like it.  I've documented the process, so the following is a cross between a developer diary, review and tutorial.  I cover many of the most common tasks a game developer will face initially ( setup, running, drawing sprites, sprite batching, spritesheet animation, touch, motion and audio ) with complete source code.

It's over six parts:

Getting started

Running on device

Hello World and more

Graphics

Input and Sound

Conclusion

Simply put, if you don't like Cocos2D you wont like Loom.  But if you do, its a very good engine with excellent support.  I'm strongly considering using it for an upcoming project even though Im not a huge Cocos2D fan personally.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »

I registered and downloaded it. Not sure if I will actually use it or even have time to look into it but free is free :D Sounds interesting though.

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

Yeah, if nothing else, you should register and get your license for the first year!  Then you can decide going forward.  It's like the people kicking themselves for not getting Unity for free when it was available. Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »

my general rule is never rush to use new engines on release, there's not much of an advantage to doing so, it's better to wait until you see good games being made in an engine. i've seen hundreds of engines pop up over the years, most of them vanish eventually without a single complete and decent game being made in them, most of the time through fault of the engine (buggy, not much support, etc.)

10-15 years ago i'd jump from engine to engine and never get a game done in any of them, and tried learning engines which went nowhere (e.g. http://www.fastgraph.com/), so i've learned to be suspicious of new engines until they prove themselves through their body of work. it also offers the advantage of having a lot of tutorials and a large experienced community waiting for you when you try it out, instead of a few people who mostly don't know what they are doing

one thing that helps convince me that an engine is worth using is if the engine creator is also a game developer, and created a game using their own engine and partly created that engine for their game -- for example, fathom with flixel, wandering hamster with the ohrrpgce, etc.

thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

I agree with mr. Eres. Also, it seems that most of the new engines are too much similar to existing ones, and made for hobbysts who won't be doing much more than clones and simple shmups/platformers, so the portfolio of games with made with said engines stay unappealing.
I signed up for the Loom licence, but I probably won't be using it until nice things made with it show up, and I complete my current projects.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »

I'm generally not very impressed with an engine that can only do 2D.  Their site talks about an empty unity project compared to an empty loom project (10 MB vs 2 MB).  Does loom have physx? does it have a real animation system?  skeletal animation?  particle effects engine?  Yea its gonna be smaller.
Polly
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »

I'm generally not very impressed with an engine that can only do 2D.  Their site talks about an empty unity project compared to an empty loom project (10 MB vs 2 MB).  Does loom have physx? does it have a real animation system?  skeletal animation?  particle effects engine?  Yea its gonna be smaller.

Even without all those features 2 MB isn't all that small. For example, a empty ZGameEditor standalone executable is 0.028 MB / 28 kB. Not that it matters to most people ..
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »

does that run on the same platforms?
Polly
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »

does that run on the same platforms?

No, only Windows, Linux, MacOS and Android. The browser plugin is no longer supported and iOS support isn't available yet.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »

When it includes a runtime, its' pretty good.  I remember working with Appcelerator Titanium, and I had trouble getting the runtime < 8mb, for a simple hello world app.
meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »

Good points about not hopping on a game engine bandwagon too soon. Still I grabbed it while it was free so thanks for the post!

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »

It seems to be made by Ben Garney, the guy behind Push Button Engine, too. Make of that what you will.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »

It seems to be made by Ben Garney, the guy behind Push Button Engine, too. Make of that what you will.

As someone almost completely ignorant of the world of Flash, I have no idea what to make of that... Smiley

Is this a good thing... or a bad thing... or just a thing?
kamac
Level 10

Notorious posts editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »

or just a thing?

It definitely is a thing.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

cheers, seems pretty very cool.

I love command line tools tha are lean and simple.
this could be great. thanks for the tip
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic