Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:51:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames< 15 minutes/day MMOs
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: < 15 minutes/day MMOs  (Read 3021 times)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »

Anyone know any good online games that take only a short time of day and don't have to be refreshed several times a day? I love the MMO genre, but most of them are grindy time sinks.

Anything classified as a MMO is cool - RPGs, RTS, MUD, MUSH, management, business, city building, arena, whatever. Even commercial or F2P games.

Decent ones I know of:

Cyber Nations: Nation building game, but wars require constant refreshing and politics can take whole days of constant IRC access.

Illyriad: Quite a good MMORTS, but the multiple cities become a time sink.

Faery Tale Online: Decent persistent MMORPG, but not that much to do other than chat.

Trophy Manager: Rather good MMO soccer management game, but the recent updates have made it a little grindy.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:26:44 AM by Muz » Logged
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:45:21 PM »

Realm of the Mad God
it's so short that you can just play it for awhile, because you will die by the time you decide to do other stuff.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:21:28 AM »

The Kingdom of Loathing was my standby for a few years for exactly this reason. You're given a pool of daily turns, and once you use them you can log off and come back the next day knowing you're not hurting anyone by failing to check in during the interim. It's also free-to-play, where you pay to get optional premium familiars and equipment that give you an edge in speedrunning, but otherwise are unnecessary to see all the content in the game.

If you're looking to play it at a low level, you can easily burn through your turns in 15 minutes and feel accomplished. Once you get to higher levels, though, if you try to play the game skillfully you may wind up spending an hour or more per day (though unused turns rollover to the next day, so the loss is minimal).

The level of direct interactivity is relatively low, however. Most interactions (trading, sharing buffs) can be done while players are offline, and the number of multiplayer dungeons can be counted on one hand. It's more of a game where lots of people are all interacting with a common world than directly questing together like your usual MMO. If you're into resource management and like finding and experimenting with strange items, you'll probably enjoy it.
poe
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:24:29 AM »

You could try spiral knights, the issue I had with it is that you don't get to play too much every day. Doing a whole dungeon takes a while, but you can stop at any floor.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »

eve online aka skill queue online
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »

Anyone know any good online games that take only a short time of day and don't have to be refreshed several times a day? I love the MMO genre, but most of them are grindy time sinks.

I'm..having..this same exact..issue u_u. I need something social yet not to dig into my production time. Was thinking of booting Runescape back up..or looking for something on Desura

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »

The Kingdom of Loathing was my standby for a few years for exactly this reason. You're given a pool of daily turns, and once you use them you can log off and come back the next day knowing you're not hurting anyone by failing to check in during the interim. It's also free-to-play, where you pay to get optional premium familiars and equipment that give you an edge in speedrunning, but otherwise are unnecessary to see all the content in the game.

If you're looking to play it at a low level, you can easily burn through your turns in 15 minutes and feel accomplished. Once you get to higher levels, though, if you try to play the game skillfully you may wind up spending an hour or more per day (though unused turns rollover to the next day, so the loss is minimal).

The level of direct interactivity is relatively low, however. Most interactions (trading, sharing buffs) can be done while players are offline, and the number of multiplayer dungeons can be counted on one hand. It's more of a game where lots of people are all interacting with a common world than directly questing together like your usual MMO. If you're into resource management and like finding and experimenting with strange items, you'll probably enjoy it.

Quite surprised you didn't mention Leap Day, considering I learnt aboutit from ya.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

seriously though

eve is grindy but it's passive grind. since your skills don't require you to be around to train (just pop in when your queue is almost empty) you can log in and play whenever you like. some people mine in the background, some play for 5 minutes to do trading, some spend hours grinding out incursions or agent missions.

while making skill gain ONLY passive is really irritating, the fact that you don't have to actively play the game to increase your "level" means that you are free to play when you want to, not because you gotta hit max.

it's definitely a super esoteric game though. while it doesn't require a big time investment in-game, it definitely warrants actual research into good career paths, general mechanics, etc.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »

Leap Day doesn't work on "15 minutes a day". In fact, I haven't been playing much of it over the last week specifically because I know the moment I start a match I'll need to check it in the morning before work and tweak my factory or help trade gems with somebody. It's more of a game you play over a long weekend, when you have time to check back frequently.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »

There exists a TIGSource clan in KOL and it's a very lonely place so people should totally join it even though we have jack shit in the way of interesting stuff like clan dungeons.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »

seriously though

eve is grindy but it's passive grind. since your skills don't require you to be around to train (just pop in when your queue is almost empty) you can log in and play whenever you like. some people mine in the background, some play for 5 minutes to do trading, some spend hours grinding out incursions or agent missions.

while making skill gain ONLY passive is really irritating, the fact that you don't have to actively play the game to increase your "level" means that you are free to play when you want to, not because you gotta hit max.

it's definitely a super esoteric game though. while it doesn't require a big time investment in-game, it definitely warrants actual research into good career paths, general mechanics, etc.

this is totally wrong, eve requires a huge time investment even though you can play parts of it alt-tabbed, it's basically a second job, and it's awful. unless you're a sociopath, in which case it's basically a free zone for pyramid schemes / hostile takeovers (literally) etc, and is probably slightly more fun. eve is the type of game where at first you hear about how it takes x hours realtime to jump from galaxy y to galaxy z, and you think "oh cool! that sounds awesome and 'realistic!'" and then you play it and while it's chuggin' along in the background as you do something else, you end up wondering why you're paying $15 a month to waste so much time doing nothing. you will never be the focus of one of those rad sounding news articles, unless you have a lot of spare time and you're a scumbag. it's basically Cubicles in Space.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »

Leap Day doesn't work on "15 minutes a day". In fact, I haven't been playing much of it over the last week specifically because I know the moment I start a match I'll need to check it in the morning before work and tweak my factory or help trade gems with somebody. It's more of a game you play over a long weekend, when you have time to check back frequently.

Those kinda count too. Having something that is strictly 15 mins a day really restricts quality. Some time spent whenever you're free on maintenance and game mechanics is expected.

As long as it's not a time wasted = achievement kind of thing. And if you don't die if you fail to login daily.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »

seriously though

this is totally wrong, eve requires a huge time investment even though you can play parts of it alt-tabbed, it's basically a second job, and it's awful. unless you're a sociopath, in which case it's basically a free zone for pyramid schemes / hostile takeovers (literally) etc, and is probably slightly more fun. eve is the type of game where at first you hear about how it takes x hours realtime to jump from galaxy y to galaxy z, and you think "oh cool! that sounds awesome and 'realistic!'" and then you play it and while it's chuggin' along in the background as you do something else, you end up wondering why you're paying $15 a month to waste so much time doing nothing. you will never be the focus of one of those rad sounding news articles, unless you have a lot of spare time and you're a scumbag. it's basically Cubicles in Space.

this is totally wrong, eve doesn't require a huge active time investment, and it's not a second job. you can do plenty fine without being an internet sociopath. lots of corps and fleets look for newbies to run tackle (warp disruption) and pay for it, for example.

eve is only boring if you spend all your time grinding missions or mining, in which case yes it's like a second job because you're making it into one.
nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:25:44 AM »

http://afkrpg.com/

Best mmo evar
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »

eve is only boring if you spend all your time grinding missions or mining, in which case yes it's like a second job because you're making it into one.

The guy has a point about travel time (or time doing anything with the ship). The game is terribly slow paced and passive from what I remember. The pve and pvp didn't seem all that fun (let alone mining), though I was keen on exploration/salvaging until I discovered it mostly entailed lots of waiting.

Not to just pick on EVE since I have no interest in (existing) MMORPGs.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »

It's as slow-paced as you make it, was my point. traveling doesn't take that long if you actively do it.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

I don't understand why you're trying to play the pied piper by leading the impressionable into the river of boredom that is eve online

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Dragonmaw
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »

i enjoy watching people suffer
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »

Since the last time I posted our KOL clan (TIGSource of Loathing to give it it's full name) now has access to clan dungeons mostly thanks to Hideous who I split the cost with so now is as good a time as any to join up, speed level using the stuff in our rumpus room and then assault the Hobopolis en mass because we'd really like some friends. New and old, I haven't kicked out any of the people who were around the last time there was a thread about KOL so if you want to get back into it you won't have to re-apply and can get on with the important stuff like being a bro.

We're all bros here and a bro always has your back, like joining your clan when you need some help *hint, hint*.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »

speed level using the stuff in our rumpus room

The tanning bed, hobo-flex, and mystic tomes are awful and should only be used if you make a huge mistake like overdrinking or have less than a minute before rollover and over 160 turns left.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic