Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:51:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkProgrammer and Artist Needed - DJ Graffiti Blade
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer and Artist Needed - DJ Graffiti Blade  (Read 2822 times)
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »

So I was thinking today about creating a new game.  This game would use my own art style and hopefully be rendered with vectors and not just pixel-based sprites.  Here's what I have to bring to the plate.  The entire idea for the game stemmed from this one drawing I did in college many years ago.

DJ GRAFFITI BLADE

GAME SYNOPSIS:  The game takes place in a massive city known as Melodiopolis, a metropolis diverse in musical style, fashion, art, and spectacular city life both day and night.  It’s a prosperous place that exists in harmony that knows not of war and destruction.  However, an evil organization known as the Devil Arms Manufacturing Network (D.A.M.N.) sees that the city is being complacent and not marching forward to a new future.  To that end, they proceed to create various musical bands that people will flock to.  Secretly, D.A.M.N. inserted a devious sound wave into all the bands’ musical equipment and released CDs; this sound wave generates a hypnotic trance to the listener, which makes he/she aberrant and causes havoc and loses all control of self.  The aim of D.A.M.N. is to take control of the people’s aberrant behavior from the secret sound wave and keep them under their wing saying they’re the wave of the future for Melodiopolis.  After they take control of the city, their next aim is the planet; to this end, they’ve secretly been creating weapons for their takeover.  The leader of D.A.M.N. is Dario Arrividerci, a double agent that is both the leader of D.A.M.N. and the good guys, the Digital Stars.  He’s doing this based on his own personal whim and is acting in third person to see how two sides duke it out (a bit twisted, but interesting for story development nonetheless).

Dario created the Digital Stars to see how they would prevail against such a thunderous and terrible scheme; he enlisted a group of special guys and girls with a sense of justice who’re all about keeping the peace of Melodiopolis intact and to bring back harmony to the city.  Each hero is designed around a musical genre and each have certain attributes that make them suited to one part of combat and such (similar in vein to Metal Slug and Streets of Rage Remake v5; one is better with guns, one’s better with swords/slashing weapons, one’s better with grenades, one’s better with acrobatics/evasive maneuvers, etc.).  Later the heroes realize that Dario was playing both sides for fools.

GAME GENRE:  The game will be done in the style of a 2-D HD sidescrolling run ‘n gun/hack ‘n slash/beat ‘em up style fusion.  Some stages will even have segments that are overhead shmup-style parts, similar in vein to Shock Troopers 1 and 2.  Elements of the gameplay will have vibes similar, but not limited, to: Metal Slug, Gunstar Heroes/Super Heroes, Strider 2, Contra, etc.  Gameplay should be addictive, easy to control/master, great powerup system, wide variety of weapons, possibly vehicles to commandeer, wide variety of enemies/bosses, thematically designed stages, catchy/addictive music for each stage, etc.  The HUD should be placed at the top with the character’s face in a box, lifebar, ammunition count, selected weapons, score, lives, etc.  The middle should have a timer counter and the right side is available for the second player.

GAME MUSIC:  The soundtrack to the game is to be lively, bubbly, very 'tude-ish; for instance, the menus use a vibe similar to the Quarashi song "Stick 'Em Up".  The stages are composed accordingly to what genre of music they represent; an electronica stage has a tune similar to a Daft Punk song, an oldies stage has a tune like that of either The Kinks or The Beach Boys, etc.  The entire soundtrack should be catchy, easy to remember, and nothing that bores the player and/or makes it forgettable.

GAME CHARACTERS:  The playable characters of the game are all based on different genres of music that will determine what attributes and characteristics they have; those characteristics will determine how they play in the game.  After accomplishing certain tasks in the game or having enough money earned in the game’s currency system, there are unlockable characters that can be attained.

GAME ENEMIES:  The enemies in the game range from all different types and varieties.  For example, a stage with dance/electronica elements can have enemies from raves and neon-lit robots.

GAME BOSSES:  The bosses in the game are the bands that were signed under D.A.M.N.’s “record label”.  These bands take control of a mech, vehicle, robot, or something of the like that will attack you.  Once the boss is beaten, the music the band plays ceases and stops the brain-control of them and the fans.  Beating the boss also restores the part of the metropolis that was under the sound wave’s hypnotic trance.  The further down the road you get in the game, the more that D.A.M.N. sees that their plan is starting to flop.

GAME WEAPONS:  The weapons in the game range from many different types of guns, swords, small melee weapons, grenades/bombs, and other projectile-based weapons.  Some weapons can be used to alter the state of enemies (a “grenade” you can throw that is food, the enemies eat it, and they become fat which makes them slower and almost incapable of attacking [a little nod to Metal Slug there :3]).  Some weapons can’t be accessed due to unlocking them in the game’s shop.  Once unlocked, they can be used in-game.  Combos can also be chained for higher scores, so you can multiple slash away enemies with swords/blades or with your ammunition based weapons.

GAME ITEMS:  The items you retrieve in the game are varied from enemy to enemy or found in the stage.  Items can range from weapons, health, extra lives, money, etc.

GAME OPTIONS:  The options in the game can be accessed in the game’s main menu, which range from: difficulty, gameplay options (button mappings, etc.), music/sound effect options, amount of extra lives, continues, and many other things.  Some options are greyed out because they need to be unlocked via an event or purchased via the game’s shop.

GAME SHOP:  Upon earning money in the game, it keeps count of how much you’ve earned.  These earnings can be used in the game’s shop where characters, character skins, new weapons, options, gameplay-related material, artwork, and anything in between can be purchased which adds more replay value to the game.

GAME PLATFORMS:  The game is to see PC/Mac OS X/OUYA and possibly PS3/360/Wii U ports.  The aim is to make this game an exclusive for the OUYA since the console will be fresh off the market and will give people an incentive to buy the system to play it, should the requirements not be met for the PC/Mac ports.

Now that I've got my idea down, I'll be more than happy to supply some drawings and doodles later to show more of what I intend to do with this game.  I'd also be more than happy if anyone is interested in helping with programming/music/art/UI and such, I'd love to work with new people on this!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:39:03 PM by CadmiumRED » Logged

If you want to contact me via AIM, PM me first and provide your screen name.  I will contact you as soon as I get it.
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »

Here is the list (thus far) of the heroes (some are already available and some are unlockable):

Tori - one of the main starting characters.  I tried to envelope the original headphone idea into her body, so her earbuds are connected to her back.  I was influenced by Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man for this design, with a slight hint of Gurren Lagann in there too.  I LOVE this character. :D

Ricky - another one of the main characters.  Being I watched quite a bit of 1980's mech animes with interestingly designed characters, like Kyao from Heavy Metal L-Gaim, I decided to make a Grease-inspired 1950's type character in a leather jacket with an overemphasized pompadour.

Roach - another starting character.  This character was inspired by Sid from Slipknot.

Enix - one of the starting characters.  She was inspired by the red-haired chick in the anime Dirty Pair and a hint of the electronica/dance/rave scene.  Her name is taken from a friend/workmate's last name at my job, and it's so awesome.

Trigger - another starting character.  He was designed after Vinnie Paul in Pantera gone more muscle-bound.  I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on this character from a few peers, guess he must be the favorite? *shrug*

Harry - one of the unlockable characters.  This character is actually me!  Being the creator, I gotta have myself in there somehow! lol

Morgan - one of the unlockable characters.  She was named after one of my friend's girlfriend and is to symbolize the indie scene.

Walter - one of the unlockable characters.  He's my friend who is planning to help me with music for the game.  He also has a band (for real) called Wild Zero that he plays guitars in.

Stormy - one of the unlockable characters.  This is Walter's girlfriend.

Dusty - one of the unlockable characters.  This is Walter's production friend and bandmate.

Gregory - one of the unlockable characters.  He's one of my friends from college who has a grand taste in video games and used to play in a punk/hardcore band a while ago as a vocalist.

Nickel - one of the unlockable characters.  The source of inspiration for this character came from Penny in Inspector Gadget of all places (man I loved those adorable pigtails on her, they were so cute!).  I decided to make her look pop-ish, so hey, it works I guess.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:18:01 PM by CadmiumRED » Logged

If you want to contact me via AIM, PM me first and provide your screen name.  I will contact you as soon as I get it.
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »

All of this concept art looks awesome and the general ideas sound really fun and addicting. I would totally be willing to do some music for this. Got a bunch of cool ideas already.

I have to ask though, do you have any more details on how exactly the game is going to get made? Are you sure you're capable of undertaking a project like this?

CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »

Well I'm currently looking for a programmer that would be able to help with this; I tried putting in an ad for finding a programmer at moddb.com, but the ad posting doesn't happen until like 2 days after you put it in, weird I know.  If worse comes to worse, pixel-rendering may indeed have to be done if doing vectors is out of the question.  Also the fact that the game is going to be done in HD-format for 16:9 screens, I'd need to know more about how to size everything accordingly.  I'm extremely psyched to undertake something of this caliber.  Also if you want to talk to me further about music, PM me an AIM screen name and I'll see if we can talk further.  I do have someone lined up, but I say the more the merrier.

CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »

If you want to see the ad we made for a programmer, here's the link to it.  We may also want to see if we can have another artist and musician to help as well.

http://www.moddb.com/jobs/programmer119

CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »

I made a large update to the character concepts post near to the top of the thread page.  There's a lot more to see this time around.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »

I think you should try to create some mockups.

you say vector instead of bitmap for characters , well whats stopping you ?
your charachter drawings look delicious, When you play with some animation tools / vector tools to translate a few of those charactes to some short animations/ breathing poses you've got sexy gold.

Now these posts and your programmer ad on that other page looks a bit too much like an overenthusiastic aspiring talented person, without real skills.

While it's obvious you've got them.

I would say, get flash or starling or something and build some prototype with these sexy littl drawings

after that it'll be alot easier to get help i would say

CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »

I'm currently working on giving the characters color and form from those drawings, but as far as actual vectors I'm not at that point yet.  Also I'm not much on how to animate characters, but I understand how to make multiple sprites to make them feel animated.  That's why I asked for an assistant artist that can help in that kind of area.

I plan to post the colored versions of the characters once I have them prepped.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »

your art looks sick and clean. Nice work

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »

Somebody said vector graphics.
Check this:

For lols
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »

Oh good god what an abomination.  Cheesy

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

Haha lol
That's literally a quick sketchy vectorized version of your pen-and-paper drawing.
Ofc I could put alot more effort into it, make everything nice and clean, aligned, and add some shading & filters Tongue

Edit:
How's this?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:50:45 PM by soryy708 » Logged
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

I'm sorry dude, but that's the biggest pile of elephant dung I've ever seen.  Thanks for trolling though, you're quite a few days late for April Fools.

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »

Haha xD
That was fun.
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »

well, there you go, you've got your artist  Shocked

I love the style you've developed. Good luck!

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »

Nope, he ain't my artist.  Big Laff

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

Now you'll have something to compare future posts to xD
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »

Nope, he ain't my artist.  Big Laff

Yeah, I figured that part out when you called it elephant dung.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic