Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:11:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: ANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter  (Read 59983 times)
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »

Latest updates:

30-09-2016 - Vote for Antraxx on Greenlight
20-08-2016 - Devlog update - #7
08-07-2016 - Devlog update - #6
13-06-2016 - Multiplayer Alpha Demo - OUT NOW!
25-05-2016 - Devlog update - #5
26-04-2016 - Devlog update - #4
05-04-2016 - Devlog update - #3
20-03-2016 - Devlog update - #2
14-02-2016 - Devlog update - #1
17-01-2016 - Press release & art updates
04-01-2016 - Explosions are here!
01-01-2016 - What.. happend.. META4?
28-09-2015 - Massive art dump
02-09-2015 - Interview
12-08-2015 - We're back!

HUMANITY DIVIDED
Countless generations ago, mankind unleashed a devastating plague upon itself. Technology was developed to the point of perfection, wars were won in days and fought with squadrons of giant, piloted mechs. Nations grew greedy, their thirst for land and power was never quenched and almost all of Earth's resources were diminished. Two major nations formed from the scraps of civilization, trying to achieve supreme dominance and control.

After generations of war, desparate for a resolve and each side too arrogant for a peace treaty, they began to research a type of weapon that no amount of armour or firepower could save the fragile human body from. Wave after wave of biological weapons were released - thousands of species extinct, the air left unbreathable, cities vacant and what was left of humanity had to live underground in bunkers. Any trace of government slowly dissolved, morals tossed aside for resources, land and weaponry. Countless factions spawned as a result, humanity divided yet all living for the same purpose - to survive. Stuck in a perpetual war, will mankind exterminate themselves or find peace? You decide.

ABOUT
Antraxx is a massively multiplayer mech shooter with a heavy emphasis on teamwork and replayability with completely customizable mechs and zones. Boasting multiple game modes and in-depth faction politics and economy systems, allowing you to play the game how you wish.

The goal is to create a next-generation isometric game with a completely 3D engine rendering hand-drawn pixel art with dynamic lighting, shadows, positional audio and a refined control scheme. You are also able to create your own zones to share and battle in, providing near limitless sandbox gameplay.

FEATURES
  • Admire crisp, high-quality pixel art
  • Play in browser or download
  • Massively multiplayer
  • Customize and outfit your own giant mech
  • Create your own faction or join another
  • Acquire land and build your own zone
  • Annihilate your opponents or make peace
  • Player driven world economy and politics
  • Team-based, free for all and co-op game modes

GAMEPLAY
Collect parts and weapons to outfit your own giant mecha. Once you've crafted your own custom masterpiece, test out its mettle by dropping into one of the many dangerous conflict zones in the Antraxx world. It is here where you will get to test your might against other pilots. Acquire your own land in one of the many wastelands of the world in order to grow your own faction and cement your power. Special additions such as jetpacks, rocket launchers, lasers, teleportation, and cloaking devices allow for you to select your own unique playing style.

There are various game modes present in the game, alongside the opportunity for endless creativity with our map creation tools. Join in player-hosted public events, giveaways, and battles. Charge and fire your lasers for a big impact, fire cluster missiles from great distances or get up close and personal with a heavy machine gun. There are countless ways to achieve peace in the never ending war known as Antraxx.

TEAMWORK
There is a heavy emphasis on co-operative gameplay between your faction members and allies. No matter how powerful, one lone mech cannot withstand the might of an entire army. There is strength to be found in numbers. Join an existing faction, or if you wish you can even start your own and build a loyal following of friends and comrades-in-arms.

Silver tongue? Every pilot has the opportunity to use the chaotic politics and economy of the world to their advantage and earn riches, power, land and mechs through diplomacy alone. Remember though, the taller they are, the harder they fall.

ARCADE-ESQUE
With tight, responsive controls, you can pilot your own giant mech to either aid or destroy your fellow pilots. Inspired by classic arcade games, each battle is full of high adrenaline, explosive action.

Antraxx will immerse you in a detailed, 1980's themed post-apocalyptic world. It is up to you to dominate the battlefields with only your guns and armored mech to your name. Players will fight for the control of special booster points on the map which will allow them to restore energy, health, or even grant them special powers such as invisibility. Each map has its own individual mechanics which must be learned and mastered in order to provide a fresh but familiar experience every time.

MECHS
No one mech is alike. You are able to choose various individual parts from multiple default mech builds and combine them into an unstoppable force. Trade resources and your own mechs parts in favour of others, or blow them off of another mech and steal them. The choice is yours.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:58:09 AM by Antraxx » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »

that's some nice pixel art, really got that arcade pixel art feeling down perfectly.

is it real-time combat, turn based, or what?
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »

Hey Alien,

Thanks, we have some pretty awesome pixel artists. As for combat, it's all real time. You join a map and you could find yourself right in the middle of a fire fight. In certain game modes, such as free for all, players would roam around attempting to defend and kill off others. All in real time, so you gotta keep your head in the game!

Zaxuhe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:51:21 AM »

Awesome pixel art, will follow this!
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »

looks incredible! following.  Waaagh!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

Awesome pixel art, will follow this!
looks incredible! following.  Waaagh!

Thanks for the kind comments! So we've updated the website (http://meta4online.com/) to include some more information and images. There's been some progress on code also, been working on getting the shield walls to block mechs passing through when its closed depending on the direction. We've also resized the client to 720p, should allow for some better videos to be recorded.

Just a teaser also, the evolution of our mechs from concept to current:
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »

Haha, looked like the madcat from battle tech/mech warrior, which is A-okay with me!

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »

We know our roots!  Hand Joystick
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

Looks/sounds good Hand Thumbs Up Left

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

I'm working on getting these railings coded. Put them off because of the complex pathfinding required, but atleast I can use it for shield walls aswell. Wish me luck!
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand here's a video of them fully implemented!

Update:
Elevators are pretty much working, just a few layering issues but they're in!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:35:00 PM by META4 » Logged
psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »

I really like the graphic work you guys have done so far!  I do feel like the elevated platforms blur in with the ground level, though.  Do you plan to add in some sort of "lighting differential" where different layers have different shades to tell them part?
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »

I really like the graphic work you guys have done so far!  I do feel like the elevated platforms blur in with the ground level, though.  Do you plan to add in some sort of "lighting differential" where different layers have different shades to tell them part?

I see what you mean. I suppose it really depends on the tiles you choose to use, when building this test map I used similar looking tiles. However we have some other tile variants, such as this:

We could possibly add some dynamic shading, but I'm not sure if it would look right. We'll give it a try though, see what works out best in the end!
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 05:09:58 PM »

Awesome!

Not going to lie, though. As nice as the tiles look on their own, seeing them all together like that made my eyes bug out a bit. Just a bit too repetitive. Ah. Reread the above post. Good to hear that there are other kinds of tiles.

I also agree that the far ends of the elevated platforms are a bit hard to distinguish from the tiles under them.

AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

Those sprites look really cool Smiley Great job!

One concern that I have is that I think the floor tiles have too much detail and it's a bit too much when you have so many next to each other. It distracts from the player and other elements in play. Maybe it's just on screenshots though, but that's my only nit-picky observation Smiley

Keep up the good work!

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »

Amazing. Will be interesting to see some gameplay.

And I'll also add to the voices who worry that the background tiles are looking to busy right now. Hopefully you'll tone them down so that only objects of interest pop.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »

Amazing. Will be interesting to see some gameplay.

And I'll also add to the voices who worry that the background tiles are looking to busy right now. Hopefully you'll tone them down so that only objects of interest pop.

It's hard to tell now, as you have to imagine the action going on in the scene. I can't really show you an example of a typical game map, as I have to do some text editing to create maps until I get around to creating the map editor. Hopefully with aload of lasers, missiles and mechs blowing up you won't notice the tiles blurring into eachother as much Wink We'll definitely take that feedback on board though!

I decided to experiment with ramps a bit, few fixes to do but why not:
Dragonmaw
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.

Needs shadows for better depth perception though
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 01:32:44 AM »

you won't notice the tiles blurring into eachother as much ;

It has nothing to do with blur. Rather that your game currently looks a bit like this.

For inspiration, go to the pixel art thread on this forum and see how the really amazing guys separate the background from the foreground. Common techniques are more muted colors and reduction in detail, for example.

Explosions and lasers on the current set of graphics are just going to make people get headaches and perhaps even make their eyes bleed and I don't think you want that. Smiley

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic