Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:59:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: ANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter  (Read 59981 times)
Yinyamina
Level 0

cavernofcreativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »

I'm not a fan of mech games, but this... This is  Kiss

I love the shine on the graphics. You have the mech look down.

QuaziGNRLnose
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

The detail on the floor tiles is still too high. They have the same level of contrast/flat shading as the mechs which gives it that "habbo hotel isometric" look.

You should really use much less saturated colors and give the tiles more texture, it'd improve the look drastically and your artist seems more than skilled enough for it.

It feels like all the graphics were drawn to look great individually, but do not work as a whole at the moment, and i think that is something that makes a lot of people looking at it feel it's a bit garish at the moment.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 06:27:41 PM »

I agree about the tiles. Didn't realize this was using flash either, seems like an odd choice. Performance is often limited, as is things like joystick support and linux support.

Conker534
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »

I expected C++, still its not the tool that matters.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »

Yeah I mostly agree with that. On the other hand though, when it affects compatibility, capability, performance, and possibly presentation it's often worth giving considerable thought. I've got nothing against flash, outside of maybe micro stutter/tearing when doing scrolling in a flash web player, but this project seems like its aimed at a trying to be a commercial indie release with lots of production values. Just surprised by the choice mostly Smiley

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »

The detail on the floor tiles is still too high. They have the same level of contrast/flat shading as the mechs which gives it that "habbo hotel isometric" look.

You should really use much less saturated colors and give the tiles more texture, it'd improve the look drastically and your artist seems more than skilled enough for it.

It feels like all the graphics were drawn to look great individually, but do not work as a whole at the moment, and i think that is something that makes a lot of people looking at it feel it's a bit garish at the moment.

Duly noted, we'll talk with our artist again - we've been working on finalizing the construction kit, then we can create rooms with the tiles and see what tiles need adjusting. But don't worry, we're working on it - ontop of everything else haha.

Yeah I mostly agree with that. On the other hand though, when it affects compatibility, capability, performance, and possibly presentation it's often worth giving considerable thought. I've got nothing against flash, outside of maybe micro stutter/tearing when doing scrolling in a flash web player, but this project seems like its aimed at a trying to be a commercial indie release with lots of production values. Just surprised by the choice mostly Smiley

We're using Flash/AS3 because we want to go for the web market, and when we started developing this project HTML5 was really new to the scene. It just stuck, considering we can port to devices like tablets and mobiles using AIR (hell, can even create an executable with it - that'd help performance). The game isn't optimized yet, but still runs really well - even on my almost decade old graphics card. We're using FlashDevelop to program it, and an awesome GPU-based framework called Starling (no flash IDE nonsense, can't stand it). It's all hardware accelerated, atleast, where possible. Ontop of that we're doing our own optimizations on the framework and game engine.

Flash isn't the slow, old piece of junk it used to be - if used correctly Wink Pixel shaders, anyone?

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »

Had a nice multiplayer test today after a hard days code - got pretty much everything in from the old server. Peaks about 2kb per second for traffic, that's not bad :D

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »

Wow, at first glance, that picture is really hard to look at, with all the intricate details and the floor pattern. Looks good though! I think I just need to train my eyes to look at it.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »

I really like your pixelwork. I recommend to reduce the detail on the ground tiles to get away that visual noise aspect, and concentrate on the mechs instead - make them really shine. Maybe even try some none mechanical tiles like streets, sidewalks, dirt, grass. This could also help to add a sense of scale to your mechs.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:53 PM »

I really like your pixelwork. I recommend to reduce the detail on the ground tiles to get away that visual noise aspect, and concentrate on the mechs instead - make them really shine. Maybe even try some none mechanical tiles like streets, sidewalks, dirt, grass. This could also help to add a sense of scale to your mechs.

We're working on all of those things, been suggested many times. As for different tile types, they'll come in the form of new construction kits (then we can just swap out kits for instantly themed maps also). Right now we have this base sci-fi/tech kit to work with as it was the first to be created - and was quite costly. Hoping to launch a Kickstarter soon so we can afford more art and for me to code fulltime on it.
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »

A new construction kit is being worked on!
Conker534
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The new tileset is nice.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2013, 05:23:32 AM »

A lot easier on the eyes compared to the other one
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »

Really nice and much better, but does it have to be tiles?
Would love to see a more seamless tileset.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »

Took your advice to the artist. Lets see how this turns out!
Conker534
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »

i like the tile feel to it
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »

i like the tile feel to it

It's best to have a good mix, somewhere for the eyes to rest, like tiles mixed with more subtle and seamless dirt/rock textures.

I think M.I.N.T. does this really well, makes it easy for the brain to divide the terrain into different parts. If everything is based on really detailed tiles, the brain can't see each separate section and becomes lost, because there aren't any easy points of reference when everything has the same level of detail.

(the brain can easily divide the area into stone tiles, grass, houses. Even better if the tiles also have different brightness, like the dirt/grass being darker.)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:15:41 AM by Seiseki » Logged

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:43 AM »

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »

Looks both more awesome and much more readable!  My Word!

Now it will be interesting to learn how this game plays. Smiley

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2013, 02:06:27 AM »

There will be a video from the gameplay wich will make it obvious. As for now its waiting for the coder to finish.

New laser gates and bridge

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic