Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:18:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAPRI50 - terraforming on a voronoi map
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: APRI50 - terraforming on a voronoi map  (Read 22431 times)
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »

Re destruction, I started the Doomsday mode yesterday and of course it is the most excellent meta programming you will ever see in a humble Lua game. The next step will be to either add a little group of colonists or count the biomass which you dear player have to keep growing. In any case I will add the first entities, either mobs or grass plants, trees and stuff.

Here's the obligatory animated gif (1.4MB) showing the destruction in a super-fast mode.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »

okay, last update for today about the non-interactive Doomsday, now with particles.

Conker534
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »

This is wicked sick man
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »

Interesting!

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »

Just a quick Friday evening gif. A new tiny feature allowing the player to mutate or even completely randomize a evolution kit. It's a very subtle feature but will give the player quite some possibilities. In a later stage these two actions will be limited by machines and resources so you won't be able to randomize the shit out of it until you are a happy farmer. And no looking-back, obviously.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

i've added some very basic height-shadowing to my 2d map. what's your preferences? Grey are those mountains (with black wasteland), there's some snow on the sides, the rest is lowland grass or hills. Are those easily recognizable?

I prefer the relative shadowing, it makes the map even more chaotic than it already is. I'm sure I'm not doing the shadow calculation correctly, but I don't care right now. Just wanted to cast some shadow. A noisy pixeleffect will be the next step.

same intensity for the shadow everywhere

relative intensity depending on how many of the polygon's borders are in the shadow

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »

I prefer the same shadow, because it has less colours. If the light source is dynamic, however, the simpler one will look worse.

This will look much better once you crop the viewport so you don't see the black at the edge, and once you remove the dots from the polygons.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »

I prefer the same shadow, because it has less colours. If the light source is dynamic, however, the simpler one will look worse.

This will look much better once you crop the viewport so you don't see the black at the edge, and once you remove the dots from the polygons.

Yes I will move the light source around over a day, just gotta figure the correct algorithms for that. There will also be different colours for the sunlight, depending on your seed. And if I keep my code clean enough I could have more than just one sun. That would look insane.

These dots, debug mode and actually tunable from 0 to 4 and the black edge is a bug because one border is missing in the polygons, maybe gonna keep it that way.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:26:09 AM by ananasblau » Logged

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »

I've spent over a week at Schmiede Hallein and besides all the awesome community stuff I had enough time to work on APRI50. The formerly very flat looking map now has a decent light that is correct and does work with more than one sun.

Watch the video of what changed in the recent days

leparlon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 06:54:57 AM »

Nice to see the game evolving.
I'm looking forward to see how this will be as a full game. I've tried to make games with DNA, evolution, mutations etc before, but it always turned out to be something more fun to watch than to play.
It seems you have the right idea.

Good luck!
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

A problem I've just stumbled upon: In a solar system with more than one sun, how do you define a day? Take the main sun, the brightest star as your reference? Or drop the whole concept of a day and introduce a standard-day?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »

If having a normal day concept is better from a game-play perspective then I would just have one sun. You can add other lighting effects with comets, beacons, etc., without messing with the diurnal cycle.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

If having a normal day concept is better from a game-play perspective then I would just have one sun. You can add other lighting effects with comets, beacons, etc., without messing with the diurnal cycle.

Sure I could have gone the easy way, but I constantly have Nightfall by Asimov in the back of my mind. And think of the impact a multi-solar system could have on plants and animals, once I add them. I'd like to try out the possibilities first before restricting the game. And yes, a boring one-star system is possible just as well.

skrjablin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »

Cool to see someone else using Amit P's procedural map generation ideas! Mine is just a normal adventure game though! I built my own map generator, but with squares instead of delaunay polygons or what they are called. That made it much simpler to make imho. Also, the squares might make it easier to change to an isometric perspective in the future, which could really show height differences. (I'm not saying you should switch back to squares, though! Grin ) Also, I didn't want my mountains in the middle of my continents -- mine is no island generator like Amit's. So I had to add some ideas of my own to it.

Anyway, I did two things to spice up the look of my maps. The one thing was, that whereas the zones all have a single background color, I added a .png sprite with transparent background in the middle of it.

Also, I did a simple algorithm which rounded the corners of squares in certain circumstances, which give a cartoony feeling, which you might or might not want for your game. I think this should be possible to adapt to the polygonal maps too, but I'm not sure. The idea is that when all neighbour polygons of a corner are of one color but the current polygon is of another color, then you round that corner. And then there are some special cases too, when you have four neighbours in a corner where 2 are of one sort and 2 of another sort, which I treat specially.

Anyway, here's how it looks in my game, hope you can get some inspiration:

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

A problem I've just stumbled upon: In a solar system with more than one sun, how do you define a day? Take the main sun, the brightest star as your reference? Or drop the whole concept of a day and introduce a standard-day?

Best I can come up with is to simulate a simplistic model and just calculate what the light's like on the part of the planet you're working. I mean, it should work for any number of suns, and as long as it's not crazy-intensive and/or you're not doing it every frame, it should be fine.
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 01:46:59 AM »

Cool to see someone else using Amit P's procedural map generation ideas! Mine is just a normal adventure game though! I built my own map generator, but with squares instead of delaunay polygons or what they are called. That made it much simpler to make imho. Also, the squares might make it easier to change to an isometric perspective in the future, which could really show height differences. (I'm not saying you should switch back to squares, though! Grin ) Also, I didn't want my mountains in the middle of my continents -- mine is no island generator like Amit's. So I had to add some ideas of my own to it.

Oh changing what the map from amit's mapgen2 will look like is easy to change. There are actually a few different generators in his code.  I did games with grids before and always had to do some hacks to make smooth movements, then there's new problems about hits during such a movement, aborting movements. Breaking the grid and using floats for your positions is just less painful in so many aspects. And about rendering the map, I do have buckets for the points so it turns out to have a decent performance.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »

I posted some details on my blog about how all the DNA stuff works. It might not be of much practical use for anyone out there, but it's interesting nonetheless. Gameplay made huge progress this week, more on that on Sunday.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »

Latest screenshot from the weekend. The gameplay now consists of colonists you can move around with, who each have their own inventory and only them can plant the evokits (upto now I used the mouse).

Coming up next will be a UI for trading between inventories, a few machines, buildings, and improvements the actual terraforming.

One thing I'm already thinking about is the modding. Looking at Minecraft and other, it is all very chaotic, isn't it? I imagine an in-game UI to download and install mods. And for extra security those mods will have code signatures. All without financial thoughts and without wanting to 100% control what mods do, but there should be some order and security for the players. code signing, lua: i have to write my own library.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:54 AM »

even in star systems with two suns, days are based on the *revolution of the planet*. in dual star systems, the two suns are close together, and the planets rotate those two suns. so there would actually be no difference from one sun in a day system

the key thing to recognize though is that, no matter how many suns there are, 1, 0, 2, or 9000, one revolution of the planet (as it spins in space) is one day

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »

I'm trying a new strategy to get this game into a playable status: A list of ways to die. In the spirit of Losing is Fun (and you know that I have no concept of "fun") I'm adding new features to the game to kill of the colonists, the yet-to-be-delivered machines and anything else to make the player go back to her homework.

Today the colonists were happy about their new OxygenTanks with a capacity good for at least 20000 ticks. Sadly they also were informed by the health insurance company that the life-support, until now generously provided by the company, expires once their oxygen tank is depleted.

In memory of those brave colonists who tried out the new gear I've put up a nice little graveyard. Onward to the Galaxy!

Thanks to Loren Bednar who provided the oxygen tank icon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic