Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:20:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRedplusBlue: 1-player co-op puzzle-platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RedplusBlue: 1-player co-op puzzle-platformer  (Read 3393 times)
TPathuis
« on: March 27, 2013, 01:47:43 AM »

UPDATE:

It has been a while since last post, but I've put RedplusBlue up for download on my portfolio website! Here's a direct link: http://www.thomaspathuis.com/RedplusBlue.zip

It basically is a 10-level demo. Only a windows build for now. I have a couple of things that I definitely still want to fix; Making sure it's fully controllable with a keyboard or controller only (instead of cursor in the menus), cutting out some unnecessary features, making sure resolution and aspect ratio behave like I want it to behave, cleaning up some of the code and more. But for know I'm curious to find out what you think of it!

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello everyone,

For the past couple of months I have been working on RedplusBlue which is what I call a '1-player co-op puzzle-platformer'.
This is more or less the first game(-prototype) I have ever build in the Unity engine so the development process of RedplusBlue has taught me a lot about the engine and I've learned to code (JavaScript) along the way!

Gameplay video:

Screenshot:

I also write about the game's development here:  http://tpathuis.tumblr.com/
Update: I've created a facebook page for RedplusBlue: http://www.facebook.com/RedplusBlueGame

Please let me know what you think!

Thomas
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:37:09 AM by TPathuis » Logged
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »

Haven't seen that kind of artstyle yet, and lots of white-space, very nice. From the video I couldn't tell which of the two you are playing, but I guess that doesn't matter that much.  How many levels and mechanics have you got so far?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »

yeh it looks quite original and i want to play it Smiley

TPathuis
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »

Haven't seen that kind of artstyle yet, and lots of white-space, very nice. From the video I couldn't tell which of the two you are playing, but I guess that doesn't matter that much.  How many levels and mechanics have you got so far?

Thank you. Red follows your direct input and blue mirrors it. I have been looking for ways to graphically communicate this, but I found it impossible to do so without making it (more) confusing.

At the moment the character's movement input is limited to walking and jumping and the level elements that are in the game are the flipping switch+door, 'upwards push field' and conveyor belt(and the obvious puddles that'll kill you). I do already have a couple of other things I'd like to design levels with, for instance movable crates and moving platforms. And the characters already have a crouch/crawl ability which allows for designing new challenges. I'd also really like to add a gravity flip mechanic to the game.

The game has 11 levels right now, but playtests showed that it could easily be spread out over 50 (similar) levels. With some of the mentioned additional mechanics I think I will be able to make a decent sized game out of it.

I'd really like to release the game someday, perhaps I should put the game as it is right now online somewhere for everybody to download (after fixing some minor bugs/issues) to see if there's interest in it. What do you think?

yeh it looks quite original and i want to play it Smiley

Thanks, and hopefully I can make that happen soon  Smiley
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:14:54 AM »

Cool mechanics and very pleasant artstyle, definitely looks profitable if you can get in on android or something Hand Thumbs Up Right

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:37:25 AM »

Looks like a decent puzzle platformer, but I really don't like the green overload.
TPathuis
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:52 AM »

Cool mechanics and very pleasant artstyle, definitely looks profitable if you can get in on android or something Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you. I think one of the possible next steps I can take is to team up with a programmer experienced in developing for mobile devices to help me out.
Perhaps this forum can help me out in finding somebody that is interested.

Looks like a decent puzzle platformer, but I really don't like the green overload.

Thanks and good point. The green ended up being too bright for my taste as well, also a color (and/or background scenery) change over the different levels could perhaps be a nice addition?
TPathuis
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »

I've been working on coming up with a background story and drawing this story image to support the game's objective, motivate the player and explain the collectibles in the game.
The game doesn't need a highly intelligent story but I'm not completely satisfied with the stuff I come up with.
What do you think of below image and story, and perhaps any other ideas/suggestions?

"The cleaning droids work in pairs because of their shared working memory which increases efficiency. After they find and collect the waste in the factory, they combine and insert back the memory unit to bring back their share to the waste container together.
They did not notice the waste in the container transformed into a monster. When it escaped it left a trail of waste in its wake and the memory unit got lost in the chaos. Red and Blue must start over again, collect all of the waste, capture the monster and find their memory unit."
TPathuis
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »

I'm still in need of some feedback on my post above this one. How do you feel about story in games anyway? Is there potentially another/better way of setting the premise of the game without introducing a story completely.

I've also created a facebook page for RedplusBlue, if you're interested in what will become of the game, when and where it will be downloadable etcetera: http://www.facebook.com/RedplusBlueGame
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »

In these kind of games, the story is usually just something simple to lead the way into the gameplay, so don't worry about it too much.
TPathuis
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »

It has been a while since last post, but I've put RedplusBlue up for download on my portfolio website! Here's a direct link: http://www.thomaspathuis.com/RedplusBlue.zip

It basically is a 10-level demo. Only a windows build for now. I have a couple of things that I definitely still want to fix; Making sure it's fully controllable with a keyboard or controller only (instead of cursor in the menus), cutting out some unnecessary features, making sure resolution and aspect ratio behave like I want it to behave, cleaning up some of the code and more. But for know I'm curious to find out what you think of it!
TPathuis
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »

Sorry for bumping this topic one more time; anyone played it yet?
Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback!
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »

Hi, the game is really interesting visually although it's a bit too barren I would think.
The visuals are very important here because they might be the difference between someone keep playing it and someone abandoning your game.
The game has a very mind boggling challenge, the fact you need to control two characters at once.
There have been games like that but this is the first time it was made in a way an average gamer could give it a good try because it is very hard as it is.
I had the moment of brain "oohhh!" When I was able to solve the more difficult level. I mean the ambi dexterous nature of this game is both frustrating and rewarding.

However, I stopped playing at level 7 because that anti gravity thing was not appealing to me.
It was like... ok this looks hard why should I bother learn a new mechanic and tons of new things when the last level was fun but quite hard.

In other words I think you need to be more gentle with this because it become extremely frustrating fast.

That is why you either need a very interesting visuals and story to make players want to finish levels to see what happens next or make the perfect level design.

Also take a note that I don't play that many games anymore. :/

Another personal preference is not to put those optional super hard to get screws. This kind of thing can make players abandon your game. I think players like to get a perfect score in this kind of games and putting this super challenging score right at the start will be like "ffff it"

Anyway, this is a promising game even if you don't make it perfect for everyone.

Master of all trades.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »

How do you feel about story in games anyway? Is there potentially another/better way of setting the premise of the game without introducing a story completely.

I like games that try to tell a story through their mechanics and your game told me a story of two lovers desperately trying to find their Soulmate.

You could possibly take a look at greek mythology for inspiration:

“According to greek mythology, humans were originally created with 4 arms, 4 legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.”
Plato

I really enjoyed playing through the ten levels of the demo, although I've to admit that I didn't beat the last level.
But I feel the urge to come back and try that level again until I'll beat it and that's a good thing.  Beer!
Wonderful idea for a game, excellent implemantation of the core mechanic.
Keep up the good work!

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic