Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:57:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioShow us some of your music!
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 172
Print
Author Topic: Show us some of your music!  (Read 501628 times)
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37:47 AM »

OK, I've got two pieces to show you guys.
One is an orchestral cover of the Half life 2 piece "Triage at Dawn".
https://soundcloud.com/jbellstudios/triage-at-dawn-orchestral-final
I'm having trouble getting a more "epic" feel to it. The mix doesn't really feel rich to me. Any advice?

I really like Triage at Dawn and I think you've done a pretty decent job.

Some of the strings are a little screechy, especially around the 0:12 mark. Likewise the... I think they're reversed piano sounds, but you might be using an arpeggiator of some kind. Whatever it is, it's a bit too forceful at the start. But overall it's pretty good.

To make it more "epic" you might consider adding a brass section, more forceful percussion, maybe some deeper strings (e.g. basses).

Chip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2721 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »

I don't know what genre is this, I can only think of an endless cave https://soundcloud.com/chip-forest/cave

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2722 on: March 07, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »

So much music to listen to! I hope you don't mind sharing my thoughts about your music. I'd think it appropriate for a thread like this to also let each other know what we think about other posters' music.

DuskyHunters - I love the diversity you display in your Video Game Music Reel. Futuristic Funk and Cave Exploration are my favourites (although I'm not sure the rise in Cave Exploration would be very suitable for most game purposes!). The intro's rising and falling chords feel right at place!

ZackParrish - I really admire your style after listening to 'Across the Ages' and 'On a Wing and  Prayer': calm and composed, with great control over the vst's.  That one track almost makes me want to play Sakura Fantasy, and I don't even know the game.

Wittynotes - This stuff is great. Great compositions, excellent use of instruments--and great mixes, too! There's a trace of fairy tale magic in your pieces, which I'd love to see back in an RPG setting.

Ojczeo - Phrygians Fall has an eerie, sad feel with an exotic touch to it; quite appropriate, given the track's name. Well done! If I might give a suggestion: the solo violin doesn't have to play as much as it currently does. At the right time, silence can have a greater impact. Meadows of Memories is wonderfully sorrowful and reminiscent of...better times, perhaps? The ending brings images of windswept plains to mind. Lovely composition! Might I suggest reducing the singer's volume somewhat? At times, she feels a little too present in the mix.

Geoff - Overgrown sounds soothing and relaxing, if somewhat somber. In a piece like Ut Resurgat, it's probably appropriate to introduce dynamic alternations. The track is at roughly the same volume once the intro is finished; some breaks, diminutions and swells can really help to enhance the dramatic mood. Finally, it's nice to hear a piece centred around a harp! I like it. Patterns sounds hopeful, like returning after a long, long voyage. It does feel as though the harp's tonal range could be put to more use, however, and I think the woodwinds might be more comfortable to listen to when they a little more variation in their volume. Nice pieces, overall! :D (Bonus: 'Dawn' is great--#rpg indeed!)

Tipsheda - Great job on X Mission; I'm always keen on checking out ambient tracks, and it's interesting to see vocals used in this way. The pulsing bass makes for a firm foundation of the calm atmosphere, nicely supported by the swelling vocal effects. I think another synth layer could enhance this piece, have you considered making room for that? And Newton...Newton is chill indeed. Smiley

Daniel Pellicer - A delightful piece. I can picture the household before me, although, if she's to dance for money, I'm not sure the household is as peaceful as the music would have me believe. Grin

Saker - It's hard to hear what's going on in the track, but that might make things all the more interesting. What's the game like?

Sid - Oh man, sounds like I've got a new space ambient album to listen to. Absolutely wonderful!

Jeremy Bell - If you're looking for a more epic sound in your Triage at Dawn cover, I'd try contrasting the violins playing the main melody with some low strings, supported by horns. You've got some in the build-up towards the middle, but they seem to lose force in the second half. A bass synthesizer could work, too, as in the original version. Getting the lows in the track gives the highs something to stand on. Also, the legato strings feel a little thin. Maybe you can try to subtly double them with a tremolo viola section during the second half, or have a cello section reinforce the airy violins; they can sound surprisingly soaring in the high end of their reach. Finally, it sounds as though the MIDI notes' velocity is kept at roughly the same value throughout the track. Perhaps increasing it gradually as the track progresses might work for you? Keeping the percussion at its current force can work, as long as the other instruments compensate in terms of intensity (and thus, inevitably, even mere volume) to make the track feel more epic.

MereMonkey - The piece has a sense of promise, adventure and anticipation; quite fitting for a game that's about reaching as high as you can. I really like how you mixed the guitar(-like instrument) into the track. Is the track supposed to loop? It looks like it might. Maybe some variation in the percussive element of the track might add to its quality? Even if the game is heavy on sound effects, there's room for subtle variations--if there wasn't, there probably wouldn't be room for percussion in the first place. (By the way, your 'Compositions' playlist contains some gems, too. Hand Thumbs Up Left)

Chip - Elegant in its simplicity! C.A.V.E. is the kind of track I'd love to hear in an rpg.

It's great to listen to what diverse pieces of music you come up with. ((: As for myself, you can hear some of my music here: Hunter's Ascent and Peregrine are two tracks I've finished recently. Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for improvement! I'm not quite satisfied with the flutes right before the choirs in Peregrine, for example. The melody seems a bit off.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: March 08, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »

Randomly made this earlier today when I was bored, and it's probably pretty terrible. Criticism would be appreciated. I plan to submit it to a music compo if I actually get it sounding not terrible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29071079/RandomMusic/SDC90EntryTake2.mp3

I would put a kick and some hihat for the drum kit

Kick samples included in the sample set were too quiet for my tastes, opted for tom drums instead. Also, sorry for the late reply, I didn't check back here for responses until earlier today, and then spent 'bout an hour adding to it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29071079/RandomMusic/SDC90EntryTake2WIP2.mp3
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2724 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:26 AM »

MereMonkey - The piece has a sense of promise, adventure and anticipation; quite fitting for a game that's about reaching as high as you can. I really like how you mixed the guitar(-like instrument) into the track. Is the track supposed to loop? It looks like it might. Maybe some variation in the percussive element of the track might add to its quality? Even if the game is heavy on sound effects, there's room for subtle variations--if there wasn't, there probably wouldn't be room for percussion in the first place. (By the way, your 'Compositions' playlist contains some gems, too. Hand Thumbs Up Left)

Whoa thank you so much for your kind words Sander!! You are right this track is meant for looping and yes even though the game is SFX heavy I probably could have had more percussive variations, thanks for the advice. Sorry for taking so long to reply to this have been away from the studio for the past couple of day so only getting to listen to your tracks now. Here are some thoughts that came to mind while listen to them:

Hunter's Ascent

A really beautiful piece, great dynamics/harmonies and you have nailed the theme you were going for. At times the percussion felt a bit rushed which slightly took me away from the world you are creating, an example of this was between the one minute mark and 1:20, it sounds like you have a mapped tempo change here, for me it felt a bit too rushed. I feel the percussion could also be cleaner at 0:50 - 0:52. And lastly at 1:07 two notes of the voice like synth overlap which creates dissonance, unsure if this was the desired effect or not.

Peregrine

Yet again another extremely beautiful composition, not much 'bad' to say about this track I love the addition of the harp at 1:36. The only thing I have to talk about is the flute at the beginning which you already said you were not 100% happy with, but I'll comment on it anyway just incase it helps. The flurry of notes at 0:04 for me felt a bit much and at time the melody felt a bit rushed.

I hope that helped in some shape or form, truly awesome work and thanks again for your feedback!  Hand Clap Smiley

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Saker
« Reply #2725 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:48 AM »

Saker - It's hard to hear what's going on in the track, but that might make things all the more interesting. What's the game like?

Thank you for the feedback man, much appreciated! I think it might need better mixing in-game yeah, it's a sort of an artsy-fartsy walking simulator:
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2726 on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »

@GravityGames
Hey, checked the second re-iteration. I think the toms help quite a bit with the drive. If your goal is to create something with a tad more push, I also second the high-hat, or even having a repetitive bass ostinato going on underneath.

@MereMonkey:
Love the chillax attitude you have created with this piece. The sfx/synth works is great, too! Very engaging. The only thing I could add (just a suggestion), in the breaks at 1:49, during the suspensions, you could add in a few drum fillers, just to give it some spunk! Overall, really neat piece!

@Barendhoff:
Hunter's Ascent
I'm in love with the drum movement. It has this uneven quality that leaves you lilting. At the beginning, the intro cymbal is quite loud, but the main instruments (strings) are pushed to the back. I figured the sounds would be more up close and personal based on the intro. Was that intended? 1:20 feels like a transition. I'd bring that suspended cymbal(?) up in volume (so that the listener can feel the push into the next section).  The tambourine after that section -- Great add in, though it feels a tad close, and dry. At least to my ears! 1:54 - 3:00 is downright beautiful, though.

Peregrine
That intro. You made me blush. I'm a sucker for emotional flute. Give me a good flute line and I'm yours. I thought the flutes were fine. Maybe have them crescendo in? The only section that threw me off was the drums at 00:50 (wasn't expecting them!). This is some  great writing though, man. Aside from that, I think it's solid!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:44:58 PM by M4uesviecr » Logged

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2727 on: March 11, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »

Saker - Oh my, this looks wonderful. I was not at all expecting something like this. I don't know what I was expecting. "Talk to her! -- Too early, a whole lifetime too early". I giggled. Is it...supposed to be tongue-in-cheeck? I don't mean to upset anyone. Anyway, the game looks remarkably peculiar, congratulations on making music for it!

Meremonkey - Many, many thanks for your compliments and advice. In Hunter's Ascent, it was surprisingly challenging to keep the percussion going at a moderately steady pace; I've always felt that aligning percussion to a tempo grid by using the mouse eliminates a lot of spontaneity--so I've recorded the midi signals by bashing on a Korg Nanokey. Gives a more natural feel to the percussion, but the downside is that at times, notes are rather off the beat. So no mapped tempo change, just my inability to keep track of the pace as I played, haha. You're quite right: 1:00-1:20 (and some other sections, too!) does feel a little rushed, and, as you've mentioned, the percussion could be cleaner at 0:51ish. The dissonance was intended and desired; that's actually a bansuri competing with the voice. Dissonance is a wonderful thing, I should use it more often!

As for Peregrine: thanks! Removing the rush from the introductory part is definitely worth considering. There was no flurry in the original version, but it felt too flat without.

M4uesviecr - Good advice about Hunter's Ascent! I must admit I found this tough to mix, with all the percussion roaring about. Perhaps the strings have been brought too far to the back indeed. I'm not sure yet. The cymbal and tambourine could use some retouching, too, as you've mentioned. Same goes for the drum section in Peregrine; if it breaks the flow of the piece, maybe I should go for something else.

And agh! Flutes! I see we share a common affection for flutes. Have you ever heard World of Warcraft's music for

? I've loved flutes ever since I heard this piece. Or...was it a Fable track that drew me in?

I've been listening to your Soundcloud as I was typing the above. What lovely music! I adore your subtle use of light string sections. 'The World with No Flowers' features some magnificent orchestral pieces; excellent suspense and chord progression at 0:50 as the horns swell, to name but one example. 'Surge, Nereia...' has a brilliant and soothing sound. These high strings carry the listener to a world of dreams and imagination--that bell is an excellent addition. THe whole reminds me of an Uematsu track in Lost Odyssey, though I can't quite grasp which one. No matter. Terrific! I could listen to tracks like Surge, Nereia for hours at a time. A job well done--especially considering it's made for a Ludum Dare event and so time was short!

I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm glad to have found you people. Keep it up! Who knows what beauty lies in your next piece?  Smiley

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2728 on: March 11, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »

Randomly made this earlier today when I was bored, and it's probably pretty terrible. Criticism would be appreciated. I plan to submit it to a music compo if I actually get it sounding not terrible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29071079/RandomMusic/SDC90EntryTake2.mp3

I would put a kick and some hihat for the drum kit

Kick samples included in the sample set were too quiet for my tastes, opted for tom drums instead. Also, sorry for the late reply, I didn't check back here for responses until earlier today, and then spent 'bout an hour adding to it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29071079/RandomMusic/SDC90EntryTake2WIP2.mp3

I like it more now Smiley. I would try a more conclusive ending or fade out and like M4uesviecr said maybe a repetitive bass ostinato underneath would be nice. Somehow needs more bass frequencies?

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2729 on: March 11, 2015, 08:30:46 AM »

Quote from: M4uesviecr link=topic=3248.msg1119100#msg1119100 date=1426034370
[b
@MereMonkey:[/b]
Love the chillax attitude you have created with this piece. The sfx/synth works is great, too! Very engaging. The only thing I could add (just a suggestion), in the breaks at 1:49, during the suspensions, you could add in a few drum fillers, just to give it some spunk! Overall, really neat piece!

Thanks M4uesviecr!! Oh that's a great idea thanks!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2730 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »

Here's a 3 part soundtrack I put together for the mobile game, "Puzzle Raiders" here: https://soundcloud.com/jordanchin/video-game-music-reel

You can get the game free on iOS or Android. It's kind of like Indiana Jones meets Candy Crush/Bejeweled.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2731 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »

@MereMonkey:
No problem! I am glad that I gave sound advice, haha!

@Barendhoff
I have never taken much notice of the WoW soundtrack, but with this being the second track I have heard (another recommended by a developer), which left me very satisfied, I may have to check it out. Elywnn reminds me of many a tranquil piece played in the Xena Warrior Princess show (no shame. NO SHAME)

The first example that comes to mind, in regards to a flute piece that gargled my socks, is

theme from Arc the Land:TWOTS. Granted, that entire soundtrack is amazing.

Pyramid Kid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2732 on: March 12, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »

Hi everybody! Just glad that can show you my work. I think it's pefect for platformers. Especially about dinosaurs Coffee

https://soundcloud.com/pyramid-kid
https://www.youtube.com/user/pyramidkidinflame/videos
http://pyramidkid.newgrounds.com/

SCgames
Level 0

We make games, so you don't have to.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2733 on: March 12, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

Hi there! Freelance Trumpeter and Composer living in Nashville, TN. I compose the music for our retro 16-bit RPG "Shadows of Adam". Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/tm0135/sets/video-game-compositions

Indie game developer composed of industry pros. Working on a 16-bit era RPG titled Shadows of Adam.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: March 16, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »

I remade one of my songs from the bassline. I hope it sounds better!

https://soundcloud.com/blockdude11/slumber-of-the-ancients

@SCgames: Cool stuff, I can see your trumpeteering expertise coming through in these pieces.
@Pyramid Kid: Very nice, kinda reminds me of Trackmania music. Which is a very good thing in my eyes!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:39:36 AM by Glyph » Logged

Saker
« Reply #2735 on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »

Saker - Oh my, this looks wonderful. I was not at all expecting something like this. I don't know what I was expecting. "Talk to her! -- Too early, a whole lifetime too early". I giggled. Is it...supposed to be tongue-in-cheeck? I don't mean to upset anyone. Anyway, the game looks remarkably peculiar, congratulations on making music for it!
Thank you for the kind words! It's a one-man endeavor, hopefully to be released this month.
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2736 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »

Sharing more game music. This was meant for an Amnesia mod that seems to have since been abandoned.

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/amnesia-custom-music-haven

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
munchmunch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 18, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »

Hey guys, I just put a chiptune EP up on my bandcamp page. I'd love to hear some feedback. It's also free to download  Wink

https://joemarchukmusic.bandcamp.com/album/tri-saw-the-sine

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2738 on: March 21, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/zack-parrish/sets/sakura-fantasy

Just finished this soundtrack... that's all.

Koronello
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2739 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »

Started making music again, here's a couple of 8 bit tunes I composed for a friend.

https://soundcloud.com/koronello/killin-slimes
https://soundcloud.com/koronello/hangout-yard

Started back up on composing game music:
https://soundcloud.com/koronello
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 172
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic