Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:58:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOculus Rift: VR Developer Kit
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Oculus Rift: VR Developer Kit  (Read 14462 times)
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:47 AM »

@people with dev kits: Is the low resolution really visible?

Very visible, along with a clear screen-door effect and LCD motion blur. Even if the consumer version is improved, it'll still need to be a design consideration. Like, don't encourage the player to look closely at small detail.

Sort of appropriately, the Tron style of imaginary digital space would probably work better than more realistic visuals.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 07:59:58 AM »

that's amazing  Shocked
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/
carmack on vR technicalities

Resolution of the eyes:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:22:33 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »

awesome, bookmarked!
I'm really waiting for my Oculus, I NEED to try!

Also, looks like the Oculus only tracks rotations, which makes it a little useless for this kind of "free moving" applications...
so I thought to strap two PSMoves to it to get a very precise absolute position+relative translation!
Has anyone tried something like this?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 11:48:40 PM »

@tommo
yes, using a hydra to track head or a kinect to track whole body

unrelated
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=176610

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »

Going for full-on VR might be the wrong approach for early Occulus Rift projects. Using the head tracking with a bit more restraint, and focusing on some really solid 3D visuals might be a better idea.

Another thing worth considering is the potential for asynchronous play. Is it possible to run the Occulus Rift in conjunction with another display?

Sure, it's just another monitor.  You can run it and another monitor at once, with all the caveats that entails.

So I got my Rift in the mail a few days ago.  My roommate and I have been messing around with it a bunch lately, and here's my take on it.

Device Comfort:  Pretty darn comfortable.  I wish there was some padding on the nose piece, it can dig into my nose at times, but most of the time it's fine.  The OR itself is surprisingly light, so it doesn't hurt my neck, and it has a bevy of straps to keep it in place.  Friends of mine who wear glasses have been able to fit it over their glasses without trouble (it's designed to be wearable with glasses).

Screen Quality:  Resolution is low, you can see individual pixels very clearly.  It looks kind of cool, actually, like some 90's cyberpunk vision of the cyber Internet, but of course it needs to be much higher resolution.  This makes detail pretty hard to see, and it's difficult to distinguish stuff at long distances.  Contrast could be higher, and the screen has a lot of ghosting.  Still, the commercial release is a ways away, and the screen is probably the easiest thing for them to improve upon, so I'm not worried about this.  If resolution were, say, doubled, it would be pretty nice.

Sensors:  They seem to be really high quality; the device tracks incredibly well and is very stable.  You know how the Wiimote does that jitter when it's just sitting there?  This thing doesn't, movement is butter smooth and completely accurate.  Personally, I think the sensors are fast (it keeps up with head movement incredibly well), but I think the OR developers said they want to make them faster.

Optics:  Look good to me, not that I know much about optics.  The FOV is extremely high.  This thing fills up your vision very well.  I haven't noticed any eye strain, soreness, or anything bad happening to my eyes while using the Rift.

Motion Sickness:  This is an interesting thing.  I'll start off by saying I have a fairly iron stomach, I don't get motion sickness that easily.  There are definitely some actions that make you sick easier than other.  For me, it's getting super close to things, changing elevation (stairs, falling, etc), and moving quickly while I'm close to something.  You do seem to build up a tolerance, however, pretty quickly.  Beyond one of the demos, the first thing I played was Dear Esther.  I played about 15 minutes and had to stop.  Throughout the day I played a bunch of other titles, and by the end of the day I was able to play through and beat Dear Esther without any trouble.  Now I can play pretty much indefinitely.

Some of this is my body adapting, some of it is also me adapting as a user and avoiding doing stuff that makes me sick.  If I were making a game for the rift, I might pad out the collision volume for the player quite a bit to keep people from getting too close to walls and such on accident.

Verdict:  This thing is incredible.  The resolution is something that needs to be fixed, but ultimately, I feel like it doesn't matter for capturing that elusive VR feeling.  My roommate and I have been talking about this a lot, and the conclusion that we've come to is that large FOV and accurate, responsive head tracking is the secret sauce that you need to make VR work.  The Rift already has this, and I see a pretty clear path for the rest of the device falling into place.  Playing games with this on was, to me, very different from just using a screen, and in a good way.

Design Considerations:  It feels like you're moving way, way faster with the Rift on.  Getting too close to things is jarring, and moving really fast next to something that's close is the worst.  No one sprints with a wall 2 inches from their face in real life.  I don't have that much of a problem with using thumbsticks to aim left and right, personally, but there's definitely room to improve upon conventional control strategies.  One thing that would be nice to toy around with is a button that locks your head in place as you turn the direction your body is facing, or a quick-turn button to snap your body inline with your head.  Most games right now are using the rift to change the direction you're walking in, rather than simply looking around.  Also, some visual tricks that look fine on a screen look odd with a headset on.  Billboards that are close look really obvious, as well as rain/weather effects that aren't volumetric.

Games that I've played with it thus far (using various mods and such):
Dear Esther:  This game should be the posterboy for VR, it's like it was designed for it.  You're just walking around looking at cool stuff, and none of the movement is so jarring as to cause serious motion sickness problems.
AAAAAaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAA!!! For The Awesome:  Not nearly as vomit inducing as I'd hoped, but still fun.
Minecraft:  Holy balls, unbelievable.  This was the best for me, partly because the mod has such nice integration with the rift.
Skyrim:  Pretty decent, but I felt that here the resolution was actually a hindrance.  Not quite sure why.  Sadly, fire and weather effects looked incredibly flat while playing it.

I've got a game cooking in Unity that I might throw some Rift support onto.  The Hydra is pretty intriguing to me, does anyone know if it's supported by Unity as well?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

Holy shit, if I had one of these things I could be playing Minecraft and Skyrim today with it? Fuck yes.

Thanks for the in depth review. Lots of helpful tidbits here! I'm dying to get mine and try it out.

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »

Holy shit, if I had one of these things I could be playing Minecraft and Skyrim today with it? Fuck yes.

Thanks for the in depth review. Lots of helpful tidbits here! I'm dying to get mine and try it out.

Sort of!  While most games don't have official support, dudes have been making mods.  There's a general solution called VIREio that works with a lot of d3d games via dll injection and translating the Rift sensors to mouse input.  That's what I've used for Skyrim, Dear Esther, etc.  It's decent, but it does have some weird issues, especially if you cock your head side to side (tends to mess up shadows in most games).  Overall, it gives you a really good taste how those games would look with VR support.

OpenGL games, sadly, don't have an equivalent.  Someone made a mod for Minecraft to add support, which is actually very nice.  They even redid the UI to be more VR friendly, it's translucent and floats in-front of your face Dead Space style.  It being a mod specifically for Minecraft really helps it shine.  Mod's called Minecrift.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »

Yes the hydra razer is compatible

Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 06:22:14 AM »

yesterday i finally had the chance to test it out and it is indeed fucking amazing. the sense of depth that you can feel is soooooo good. obviously the screen resolution pretty much sucks right now, but when this will be improved this thing is going to be huge!

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »

E3 Announcements so far. 1080p is the minimum for the consumer version. Also,

http://www.oculusvr.com/slowjam/
IndieCade and Oculus setting up a worldwide "long-format game jam" to mess around with VR design. That's all we know so far, I'm hoping to get my kit in time for the next MolyJam though too.

Uykered
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »

It's cool to see them improving the resolution, I hope they can find a way to make it even better than that for more clarity.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »

i don't get motion sickness easily, but i get eyestrain from 3D stuff VERY easily. how is it with that?
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »

Still waiting for mine, but I did get an email that they'll be shipping it soon. Looking forward to it, especially now that I've had some experience with Unity.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »

i don't get motion sickness easily, but i get eyestrain from 3D stuff VERY easily. how is it with that?
That's because stereo 3D works by alternately "turning on/off" one of the eyes, which is very tiring for the eyes. Oculus Rift, however, works by showing different images to your eyes at the same time.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »

cool. might even get one when the consumer version comes out.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm archived

also:

This gives an equivilant pixel size of 0.3 arc-minutes. If you take a conservative 120 degrees as your horizontal field of view and 60 degrees in the vertical plane, this translates to ...

576 megapixels of available image data.
http://hugofdestruction.deviantart.com/journal/Your-Eye-s-quot-megapixel-quot-Resolution-214149706

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:46:51 AM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 02:37:29 AM »

IT'S HERE

THIS IS HAPPENING

Okay, I won't shout. But the experience of booting up the demo and moving around in the virtual apartment made me as excited as trying out Wolfenstein for the first time. Yes, the devkit res is low so you can kind of see the pixels, and I got motion sickness after two minutes, but it's legit virtual reality. I'll be glad I was riding the wave early on, can't wait to see what sort of things people will cook up.

Hell, I'll just go ahead and remix that LD26 Unity experiment of mine.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »

It's official: Oculus/IndieCade VR Jam or just visit: http://www.oculusvr.com/vrjam/

Good amount of time, sizable prize money, opportunity to make something new. More info in the Competitions thread and on the site.

I finally received mine after nearly ten months, and I still wasn't disappointed. It's an imperfect development kit, but it works like advertised. Which is bonkers. It's been three weeks since I've gotten it and I've finally learned enough code to see my own models in virtual space, and it's quite the experience.

As for current support to get an idea how it works, check out http://stv.re/ and http://theriftlist.com/ / http://www.riftenabled.com/ for demos with varying degrees of success, support, and completion. The Rift SDK has also been integrated into Source if that's your backgroud, and I can say first hand that Half Life 2 with the Rift is a completely new game. MinecRift now has a fancy launcher, and is another simple success in showing the strengths of the Rift.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »

I was planning on doing some experimentation with the Rift kit once it is in my hands. This looks pretty f*cking awesome. Count me in.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic