Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:02:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXII: "Contrasting Elements"
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXII: "Contrasting Elements"  (Read 5120 times)
medieval
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/zack-parrish/experimental

That's mine, but as always I went overboard and I'll probably get disqualified as a result... you said two and I kind of ... just kept adding and adding. Grin

Track contains...
Violins, Violas, Celli, Solo Cello, Contrabass, Trumpet, Horns, Solo Horn, Trombones, Tuba, Two Grand Pianos, Penny Whistle, Oboe, Accordion, Dulcimer, Banjo, Mandolin, Jazz Kit, Rock Kit, Synthetic Kit, Square Wave, Synth Pad(custom), Pipe Organ, Steel String Acoustic Guitar, Electric Bass, Electric Guitar(Rhythm & Lead), Clavichord, Sitar, Devil Chaser, Didgeridoo, Ticki-Ticki, Djembe, Boys Choir, Beer Bottles(Blown), Glockenspiel played using pingpong balls, and Solo Vocalist.

Majority of the parts were written using their traditional styles(Banjo and Mandolin playing blue grass, sitar playing... sitar, ethnic drums being ethnic, didgeridoo gettin' down like an aboriginal dude, elect guitar playing metal, etc).

But alas, you said two, I went ... well past that.  But to be fair, you didn't a maximum of two! :D

Holy fuck. You're a mad genius. You're trying to take over the world. I knows it
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »

Who said anything about disqualifications?

There are no disqualifications.... Evil

If anyone else has an entry, get it in quick!
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »

Well, I consider being written off for negating the rules a disqualification.  Like the last contest that Calum and I teamed up for... Grin 

ilyoung
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 08:17:04 PM »

Just had a listen at all of the entries so far, and it's all quality stuff! Very impressed by y'all.

elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/ronin-narasu/ancient-remains

I poured the fucking deepest shit into this one

Oh. My. Glob. I could never compete with this. This is so out of this world.
elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »

That's mine, but as always I went overboard and I'll probably get disqualified as a result... you said two and I kind of ... just kept adding and adding. Grin

Track contains...
Violins, Violas, Celli, Solo Cello, Contrabass, Trumpet, Horns, Solo Horn, Trombones, Tuba, Two Grand Pianos, Penny Whistle, Oboe, Accordion, Dulcimer, Banjo, Mandolin, Jazz Kit, Rock Kit, Synthetic Kit, Square Wave, Synth Pad(custom), Pipe Organ, Steel String Acoustic Guitar, Electric Bass, Electric Guitar(Rhythm & Lead), Clavichord, Sitar, Devil Chaser, Didgeridoo, Ticki-Ticki, Djembe, Boys Choir, Beer Bottles(Blown), Glockenspiel played using pingpong balls, and Solo Vocalist.

Majority of the parts were written using their traditional styles(Banjo and Mandolin playing blue grass, sitar playing... sitar, ethnic drums being ethnic, didgeridoo gettin' down like an aboriginal dude, elect guitar playing metal, etc).

But alas, you said two, I went ... well past that.  But to be fair, you didn't say a maximum of two! :D

I left some comments on your soundcloud page for this. This is such exquisite songwriting. It couldn't be more perfect. The form is fantastic and the chord changes are breathtaking. I love the delicate intro and the return to that sparkling texture at the very end. Truly beautiful.
elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »

Pulled out the real instruments to make...this.

https://soundcloud.com/bleakprospects/moderne

This kid has some fantastic chops. Lovin' the solos. I think this music would be awesome for a game because it has memorable, repeating elements, but enough variety to stay interesting.
Y'all should check out the other tunes on his soundcloud page, too. They're freaking great.
somnia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

Didn't have time to enter this one but, God, the entries so far are beyond awesome. Great work guys!

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »

Track contains...

But alas, you said two, I went ... well past that.  But to be fair, you didn't say a maximum of two! :D

This is really beautiful!  Have you heard of the band Anathallo?

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »

This is really beautiful!  Have you heard of the band Anathallo?

Thanks!  And... can't say that I have, no... :p

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »

Your piece Shimmer, or the first half of it at least, sounds a lot like them.  If you get a chance check them out

elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »

Well, shoot.
This is NOT a new piece just composed for this contest (which is a good rule because it weeds a lot of people out who might otherwise post random stuff just to have a chance).
ANYHOW, I'm disqualified already.
BUT I think this is pretty awesome and it has a LOT of contrasting elements. Take a listen, if you'd be so kind!
This song contains:
kids, monkeys, hip hop beats, African choir, grasshoppers, loons, thumb piano, plus some crazy distortion and delay.
Cheers!
https://soundcloud.com/elizabitcrusher/monkeybutts
christianc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »

I totally forgot about this until just now Sad oh well, I'll get one in for the next one.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 01:48:20 AM »

Well, shoot.
This is NOT a new piece just composed for this contest (which is a good rule because it weeds a lot of people out who might otherwise post random stuff just to have a chance).
ANYHOW, I'm disqualified already.
BUT I think this is pretty awesome and it has a LOT of contrasting elements. Take a listen, if you'd be so kind!
This song contains:
kids, monkeys, hip hop beats, African choir, grasshoppers, loons, thumb piano, plus some crazy distortion and delay.
Cheers!
https://soundcloud.com/elizabitcrusher/monkeybutts

I just wanted to let you know... your avatar makes me happy.

I'll listen to the track tomorrow, to intoxicated to do anything else at the moment...

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 03:44:45 AM »

Thanks for all the awesome entries guys! I'll pick the top 3 asap. Grin
mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 04:54:39 AM »

WAIT!!!!!!!!!

My entry,   High-Speed Car Chase Hallucinations

https://soundcloud.com/broken-sounds/high-speed-car-chase

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

ugghh....well I was almost finished....and I accidentally closed the tab Facepalm.....anyway.

I'm terrible at writing these kinds of things, so sorry if my critiques (pshh, how can I critique these kick ass tracks?) are a little slim.

Steparnicus
Okay, just stop it with all these awesome tracks... Western, Asian, Dub? Nice choice of elements! I can imagine this over an action scene, maybe some slow motion, slicing bullets in half, all that kinda stuff. Great quality and great contrasting-ness!

BleakProspects
At first I wasn't really sure what the contrasting elements were. Then the more I listened, the more I felt a little depressed. But the track has this "happy" asthetic working for it. It's kinda happy and depressing at the same time. I'm not sure if that was intentional, or just me. Are you an emotional wizard or something? Great stuff.

narasu
The metal/ethnic mash is a great idea. And the contrast between the more pensive first half, then the agressive follow up is really cool. And my god, those vocals are so unsettling!

Zack Parrish
Man, the amount of work that must've gone into this one is insane. You're not wrong about going overboard! There are alot of ideas in there! But it works nicely. Give my kudos to your collaborators! All in all lovely stuff, on top of lovely stuff, on top of lovely stuff... Grin

Elizabitcrusher
That is coolest username ever. And the track is crazy! Hopefully you'll have an entry next time!

mscottweber
Oh... didn't quite make it... Afraid I'm gonna have to disqualify you... Durr...?
Nah, this is seriously awesome, too awesome to disqualify! It sounds fantastic. And nice element contrasting! The ukulele and musicbox sections sound like the "younger" version of the guitar and synth parts, if that makes any sense. Great ending as well!

Seeing as I found it really difficult to chose three, and there are only five entries...

Everybody is up for the vote!!

The top 5 are...
Steparnicus, BleakProspects, narasu, Zack Parrish, mscottweber
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:24:52 PM by 8thMode » Logged
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »

Steparnicus
Okay, just stop it with all these awesome tracks... Western, Asian, Dub? Nice choice of elements! I can imagine this over an action scene, maybe some slow motion, slicing bullets in half, all that kinda stuff. Great quality and great contrasting-ness!

Thanks for the feedback  Smiley Bullet slicing is the way to my heart.  Also, I'm sure most people will agree that if there's anyone in particular that needs to cut out making consistently awesome tracks round here, its you!  Big Laff 

Really liked all the entries on this one, there's so much diversity and its great hearing everyone getting really creative.  Looking forward to the next one =)

E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

Great entries, everyone!  I really need to get on the ball with these challenges again.  Ugh.  I feel like this was a tough one though, and good on all of you who managed to pump anything out.  Hopefully I'll have time and feel inspired enough to participate in the next one though. 

Good luck to all of you!  Beer!

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic