Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:49:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrozen State
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Frozen State  (Read 16282 times)
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »

Hey all!

This is our a very first game of a such big scale, and actually the second we ever made))) It had started as a spare time project, but for the last 6 months we have been working full time on it. This game is a long path of trials, errors and iterations

What is it about:

Frozen State is a game about the adversities faced whilst existing and surviving in a dying Siberian city, Duga 40.

The city has been infested by an extraterrestrial parasite that has obliterated the native population. Once infected, the parasite causes its victims to become vicious alien hybrids…
However, the grotesquely disfigured creatures are not the only menace that threatens the surviving citizens – hunger, and the bitter Siberian cold will force them to behave in a Machiavellian fashion with one another.

Key Features:

-Open world
-Survival in a cold environment
-Stealth
-Dynamic weather and temperature
-Transport

The Team

the core team:

Remingthon - (3D Artist :environment, props, characters)
Panerox (Programmer)
Satori4 ( Game designer,3D Artist)

Early pre-alpha gameplay video and concept arts

Available on Steam EA

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270270

English isn't my first language, so sorry in advance for all irritating mistakes and typos, you may come across while reading my posts. If you see something that annoys your eyes, please PM me, I'll fix it immediately.  

Thank you Gentleman
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:56:33 AM by Satori4 » Logged

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »

A new model of the main character - "the Officer" Ingvar Nilsson

@satori4
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Looks sexy.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »

I think Syberia alone would've provided an enough challenging environment for a survival game, so the post-apocalyptic side of things is a bit unneccessary but it's cool I guess Smiley

Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys)

Well, Siberia it is a challenging place to survive, but many people live there every day) So we decided to make it just a little bit tougher  Evil

Maybe you can help us out. We have an argue within the team, how  cars should like whether with normal wheels like ordinary cars or they should have electromagnets to hoover.

For the first car, a driveable car we have this babe in mind

What do you think, electromagnets instead of wheels or just a normal car on wheels?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:29:01 PM by Satori4 » Logged

@satori4
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:14 PM »

Hey, that actually looks really good and promising.
I think the whole camera rotation makes it look very hectic - do you intend to keep this aspect or is this just a temp solution until you have a proper fading out of geometry?

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »

Looks lush, especially I like the lighting effects.
Personally I am interested to see how you balance the game towards the survival RPG aspects, rather than merely the look of a 3rd person shoot-em-up, which the video seemed to show. But all in all, very well done, and I look forward to seeing more progress.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:32:59 AM »

@jO never though that camera rotation makes it looks hectic,but thanks for the hint. Actually, you don't need to rotate the camera all the time, you can leave it at the position you like and move your character only with WASD, but it allows you to look in virtually every "hole".

@Yodhe, it's still a rough prototype and we keep experimenting with character controller and aiming system. About surviving, we already made a dynamic whether system: things like temperature, pressure consequently cloudless will be changing over time. For example if it's a clear bright day without snow, then it's colder than usual, what means your character will be freezing faster outside, but you sight distance will increase, so you can spot enemies earlier.

I can assure you that there won't be hords of monsters attacking you, like in alien shooter, there are will be few, but strong and deadly even the small ones)) Sometimes it will be better just hide in a room and wait when they're gone.

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »

we made a couple of concept arts for the car, but cannot choose which one should we make for the game

V_1

V_2

V_3

@satori4
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 06:55:39 AM »

So you are really asking whether we prefer a car with normal wheels or a back to the future style hovering car? OBVIOUSLY the flying car  My Word!

I personally like the 2nd version best; the 3rd version has the motor thing on the hood and the things where the wheels are looking too similar - I don't like that.

Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »

Yes,Sir, I'm absolutely, 140% serious Wink

I like the flying one as well  Gentleman

@satori4
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »

Personally I prefer the car with wheels. It looks more menacing somehow. I know this is a fictional time and place, but think like this:

Syberia is a pretty remote (and generally more poor) location. Even if mankind did have hovering cars I highly doubt this kind of advanced technology would reach that area. It would be available in Moscow and other urban areas like that but not in the Syberian taiga (I guess there are even places without electricity in 2013). I'm not sure what kind of vehicles people drive there at the moment, but I imagine they're older Ladas or some such, not the latest E class Merc. Another thing is spare parts. Unless the flying car is brand new and was invented a year ago, it definitely gets its wear and tear and spare parts for that would be harder to come by compared to simple wheels, springs, bolts and nuts which are always laying around, no? My idea is that any serious wastelander would choose the car with wheels as there's less to go wrong.

Sorry for bringing logic into this, I know this is sci-fi Smiley

Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »

@ Eigen, thanks for the comment) Logic is definitely a good thing to have even in a sci-fi game)

Though in our case, the reason why such advanced technologies have place in a Siberian city, simply because this closed city was built to develop and produce those techs.

My major concern was about the style, that flying cars may standout or look odd.

Nowadays, Siberian people mainly drive used Japanese cars, they are relatively cheap and reliable and if it brakes down you can buy a new one from Japan over an auction) In Mother Russia you can have no electricity even 30 kilometres away from Moscow Wink

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 04:17:29 AM »

The Car

A girl

Maria Sakharova - another playable main character. She is a young soviet scientist, before the incident worked at Mayak (nuclear research center) just outside of Duga-40. Maria isn’t the strongest character and not as good with guns as other characters, but she is the most clever and silent character. Can easily sneak almost anywhere, without being noticed, she also needs far less food and water to survive than two others.

Salamander
Salamander is a code name for a small scientific group which studies the parasite and works on a possible cure. The group was formed just after the parasite was discovered. The members of the group set a laboratory in the one of countless bunkers under the city, to work separately from other groups which stayed at the research centers. After 3 years since the airstrike covered the city only four members of the group have managed to survive.

From left to right:
Professor Pavlov, the head of the group
Doctor Glogger, Pavlov’s right hand and assistant
Calvin Winkler, a survivor which was found by Dymov, used to work as a laboratory assistant
Andrei Dymov, a soldier of soviet airborne forces, protects the group, scavenges supplies and medical equipment for experiments.

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »

The newly redesigned model of the Piercer  Evil

@satori4
Atrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »

It's magnificent.  Epileptic
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »

Thank you, sir   Gentleman

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »

the 3D view of the previous model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39nQIqIdX4c&feature=youtu.be

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:17 AM »

Some more concept arts

Zakhar - a wandering survivor, he never stays at one place for long always traveling around the all territory of the city and beyond it. He doesn’t support any faction and follows only his own principles. They say he is a ghost, because it’s impossible to stay alive so long being on your own.
The Nemostor leader, commonly known as Surgeon - nobody truly knows how he got this nickname. Some say that before the incident he was a surgeon and worked with the first victims of the parasite. This explains his injuries and mutilated face, supposedly , he was attacked by one of the infected. His lost jaw and part of the windpipe has been replaced by a mechanical implant. The others say that this name comes from the violent, inhuman experiments he conducts on captured survivors.
Colonel Lewis - was sent to DUGA-40 with international forces to help the soviet army to regulate the infection. As many others was left there to die during the airstrike. Now he is an informal leader of the “Railway Camp”. With the exoskeleton Ledokol protects the camp from Hybrids and Nemostor’s attacks.
Pavel -  young and gifted chemists. Used to be a lab assistant in the Hospital, but had problems with drugs and was fired before the incident. Nowadays, he has his own lab in the basements under the Hospital, where he cooks different drugs and sell them to everyone in the city. He never leaves his basement and always use somebody to distribute his stuff.

- the most powerful and armored exoskeleton ever built in the USSR. It was meant to replace tanks as a class, but due to some significant disadvantages: slow speed, high fuel consumption and high production costs, was never launched in mass production. One of the prototypes was found by the “Railway” survivors and fixed, to protect their camp. (This is non playable exoskeleton)

The Car- this video barely shows how the car moves, no physics or animations whatsoever,just pure controller. But it’s already quite fun to drive around)

and just another art

@satori4
Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »

Jackals are hunters cunning and dangerous. Even though, most of the Jackals do not have special abilities, they tend to form small packs 3 to 5 spices for hunting. This hybrid is dangerous, because it has developed some kind of communication skills, somehow they can communicate with each other, being miles away.

Some people explain it very simply, arguably,  Jackals’ packs are grouped from infected who used to be family members or relatives, the preserved human part forces them to stay together even after the mutation. However, this sentimental explanation often can be heard from those who still believe that hybrids are humans and should be treated as humans.

Another thing, it is weapons! We are planning quiet rich variety of weapons and here it is the very first batch.

Realistic - primarily based on the really existing weapons, mainly from the period of the WW2

Futuristic - this is my favorite: lasers, plasma gun and rifle, maser and some others the description of those you will find in the game.

@satori4
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic