Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:57:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral9 Year old RPG kickstarter
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 9 Year old RPG kickstarter  (Read 2552 times)
poe
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

To prevent the good thread from digressing more and to keep it with its original goal I made this.

On the subject of the 9 year old kickstarter, the mom released an update video:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:16:56 AM by poe » Logged
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »

I ignored all the crap surrounding this but what makes it a scam? I mean what do you expect?

poe
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »

There's several rumors at the moment and I don't know the validity of them so I won't bother mentioning them here (you can find them easily enough anyways).

The issue I have is that it violates kickstarter's terms of service which states no open ended projects and no fund my life projects (such as college tuition).
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »

The issue I have is that it violates kickstarter's terms of service which states no open ended projects and no fund my life projects (such as college tuition).
The Kotaku story on this said Kickstarter said it doesn't violate the policy, because it has a deliverable product: whatever game the girl makes at camp.  I trust Kickstarter to decide what violates Kickstarter's policy ...

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »

I ignored all the crap surrounding this but what makes it a scam? I mean what do you expect?

The person who started it made at least one other scam in the past, and is therefore untrustworthy, and even said that they might not make a video game sometime after the money was raised. One thing is clear, the extra money is unnecessary and would be better off going to a deserving indie game project versus an incredibly nebulous 'tuition'.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »

you realize we already had a thread for bad kickstarter projects right, and that the thread for good kickstarter projects was created in reaction to that thread? why be so redundant

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 01:32:08 AM »

I just feel sorry for the people they are going to hire to make this game, it's probably gonna go down like this only with 9-year old Naruto fantasies:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/12/22/rejected-diablo-iii-classes

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:24:03 AM »

Why should we even draw attention to projects that must not be backed? That seems largely counterproductive.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
poe
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »

you realize we already had a thread for bad kickstarter projects right, and that the thread for good kickstarter projects was created in reaction to that thread? why be so redundant

Changed the thread to be specifically about the 9 year old kickstarter. I didn't know at the time we had one, but now I can remember it.

I just feel sorry for the people they are going to hire to make this game, it's probably gonna go down like this only with 9-year old Naruto fantasies:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/12/22/rejected-diablo-iii-classes

This has to be fake..

Why should we even draw attention to projects that must not be backed?

ridicule for lols?

maybe we should merge these so there's just one kickstart topic

Pretty much, it's also a good discussion fuel for talking about why kickstarter and the indie community can easily be abused. This project obviously pulled on the heart strings of the feminism that's recently become very popular (rightfully so).
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »

kickstarter need a cap limit. why would any project need twice the money unless the project is badly planned? No one would stop you from making another kickstarter for more DLC once the initial game has been finished in budget and time.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »

no, because you're not just giving them free money, you're sometimes also purchasing something (whether it be a download / copy of the product, physical goods, whatever.) all it "needs" is for people to lower their expectations on projects that end up receiving way more than they set out to make. it's not like the extra money is guaranteed to be used on the project, and it really shouldn't have to be. even if the game could've benefited from extra work /content immensely, like ftl Angry (which did not change much from the version shown off during the kickstarter,) they shouldn't be obligated to use it on anything. unless they have stretch goals specifically stating what theyll add at x points, or whatever.

besides, who cares if they spend every last dollar on the project as long as they accomplish what they said they were going to. you should go bitch about all the kickstarters that don't even manage that.

edit:
and as far as this 9 year old girl project goes, who gives a fuck. if you don't want to give money to her, DON'T. all of the fucks saying she should die or be raped because of this are fucking awful shitstains, and you assholes need to find something better to do with your time than whining about how a nine year old girl made a small amount of money. once again, something comes along where even if it was bad to begin with, the person everyone is harassing now basically deserves the money if only for putting up with the harassment. wow, they got $20k to put up with death threats for a month! fuck off. it's not your money, and if you can think of a better cause to donate your money towards, then please go do that instead of whining about how these people spent theirs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:55:14 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
poe
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »

no, because you're not just giving them free money, you're sometimes also purchasing something (whether it be a download / copy of the product, physical goods, whatever.) all it "needs" is for people to lower their expectations on projects that end up receiving way more than they set out to make. it's not like the extra money is guaranteed to be used on the project, and it really shouldn't have to be. even if the game could've benefited from extra work /content immensely, like ftl Angry (which did not change much from the version shown off during the kickstarter,) they shouldn't be obligated to use it on anything. unless they have stretch goals specifically stating what theyll add at x points, or whatever.

besides, who cares if they spend every last dollar on the project as long as they accomplish what they said they were going to. you should go bitch about all the kickstarters that don't even manage that.

Personally I'm fine with them not having a cap, though if it were optional or something that would be cool as well. Like the developer really only needs X dollars so he's trying to be humble.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »

again, that only works if you're not giving out rewards. and if you're not giving out rewards, then your kickstarter is probably going to fail.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

@Blademasterbobo: They wouldn't have received any threats at all if there had been a cap. And if the mom would have done less pr for the project, of course. Anyways, it did happen and it's terribly sad and a shame for the internets.

FTL did it right, they delivered what they promised despite the extra money, but lots of games fail to realize this and consequently miss their release dates. Castle Story for example, I pledged for the beta and got a game that goes blackscreen on my mac, five months delayed to what they said in the initial project description.

In the electronics projects there are plenty projects that got delayed due to enormous interest and thus too many physical products that resulted in a longer production time.

I think it is absurd, especially with the digital goods projects, that über-success does lead to a delay of delivery. It's contradicting copy-ability, the one central advantage of digital goods.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:37:08 AM »

They wouldn't have received any threats at all if there had been a cap. And if the mom would have done less pr for the project, of course. Anyways, it did happen and it's terribly sad and a shame for the internets.
i don't think you can really blame kickstarter for people being pieces of shit lol

FTL did it right, they delivered what they promised despite the extra money, but lots of games fail to realize this and consequently miss their release dates.
idk, people complained about that too because the game was basically done when they did the kickstarter
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 05:08:16 AM »

would have helped if she didn't play the gender card

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 05:13:11 AM »

hello, please send me to rpg maker camp so i can finally finish joe's game and i will furnish you with video of me defeating 9 year olds in physical combat and/or soccer as a reward
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 05:36:34 AM »

i think it's stupid that it got this much money, but it's also stupid to complain about it or get mad over it; who cares what other people do with their money? there are far worse wastes of money in the world than this, what makes this one notable?

poe
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »

i think it's stupid that it got this much money, but it's also stupid to complain about it or get mad over it; who cares what other people do with their money? there are far worse wastes of money in the world than this, what makes this one notable?

It's really only notable for three reasons, the publicity (not really an issue), the fact that they played the gender card. (Yes another discussion on sexism here at TIGS), the mom being a con artist. She may not be the millionaire that others claim, but she was reselling things on amazon at higher than their value (giving them a new name so people didn't catch on, otherwise I wouldn't care; and she also tweeted a bunch of celebrities to retweet her kickstarter project, so she was clearly looking for the cash. Though in her defense her last kickstarter failed miserably so maybe she thought it would happen again and just wanted to meet the base price, it could go either way.

hello, please send me to rpg maker camp so i can finally finish joe's game and i will furnish you with video of me defeating 9 year olds in physical combat and/or soccer as a reward

Where do I donate?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

if you have to say 'she tweeted celebrities asking for help, that's why this is notable' that's a hint that this is not notable. how many indies ask notch to retweet news about their game? probably thousands

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic