Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:19:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsblue:I
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: blue:I  (Read 7822 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:11 PM »

Do you mean the shadow or the lighting on the letters?
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »

I've spent some time thinking about the design for the game. More specifically about the way to store the details for the tiles. I do have some old Key-Value linked list code with inheritance which I could use, but one concern would be the speed of all the getters and searchers for all the tiles in the map.

I could hard-code everything which in some ways might be quicker as there will never be hundreds of tiles. But I instinctively recoil against that kind of coding now! On the other extreme the game could have full scripting support, with all the tiles basically working from scripts. Again though, that's probably overkill for a game that will be quite simple, and might have speed implications also.

So, I'm going for my trusty favourite: Config files with inheritance that are read in only on start-up directly into object structures. This is a semi-flexible approach and lets me alter some values quickly and combine attributes to make new tiles, whilst specific behaviour (like opening doors, monsters moving towards the player) will be done in game.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »

Messing about with the level editor

For the Player and Monster sprites I've tried to make them look a little toy like and have shaded around the eyes to achieve a certain style. I'd like the whole look of the game to be more toy like than a horror or more traditional fantasy setting.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »

Nice, is that hand rendered or using one of your fancy scaling/shading/thingies?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
rrTea
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »

Sounds like the kind of game I'd like to play, not sure about the current graphic style but it's not a deal breaker. To be precise… If everything's so stylized there's no need to add a layer of "volume" over everything, gives me the same feeling when I see some "3d" Photoshop effects applied to a font (maybe it's just a personal preference).

btw for anybody interested in Chip's Challenge: a remake is on its way, looks promising! The author of the original is also onboard, worth checking out.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »

It's all hand-drawn, using far too many shades for the pixelation purists to be happy about!

The graphics will be replaceable anyway, and also aren't set in stone yet. Smiley
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »

It won't be a straight remake of WoW though. Smiley
I feel young.
I thought WoW meant World of Warcraft...

rrTea
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »

It's all hand-drawn, using far too many shades for the pixelation purists to be happy about!

The graphics will be replaceable anyway, and also aren't set in stone yet. Smiley
Haha I'm the opposite of a pixelation purist (always posting my pixel art in jpg :D ) …But even as is it already looks better than Windows version of Chip's Challenge so that's a good start – I adore the game but man the graphics are ugly in that version >_< …(fortunately there's Tile World!) Anyway I didn't know about some of the games you posted as reference, will have to check them out.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

I think the handheld Lynx (and Atari ST) version of Chips Challenge had better gfx than the windows one. But they weren't amazing by any means!

I'm working on the level editor some more at the moment.. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »

I've expanded the map editor gui to be 8 x 16 tiles in size and added a working minimap and quick art icons for the various drawing (freehand, line, box, fill, rush and undo) as well as other options:

This will let me show 80 tiles at once as well as the minimap and level editing view. A lot to do for the editor, but it's starting to take shape. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »

I've added a highlight of the current viewed area of the level to the minimap display, so you can see easily where you are. Once I add in the code you'll be able to click on the minimap display to move to that area on the map as well.

Also started to add small font support so I can have details on the tiles selected, icon help, etc.. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »

Now working: Helptext, Left Mouse button to draw, Right Mouse button to erase, Middle Mouse Button or Holding down Space when moving the mouse scrolls around the level. You can also use the arrow keys to scroll. Control Keys copy current tile under mouse as the current one to draw with (think of an eyedropper in a paint program).

I've also re-arranged the icons and mini-map, which now has a display area of 96 x 96 pixels. This lets us use level sizes of 96 x 96 tiles, which is pretty big so think this should be enough.

Very soon I need to work on making those levels playable by letting you move your player around. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »

Cool, it reminds me a bit of Saracen, which I absolutely loved to play when I was young. I won't mention SpaceHeroCommand here, I promise. But hopefully the two projects can benefit each other.

Cover art, this brings back memories Smiley

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »

Gauntlet, you say? I'm sold! Plus it'll have a level editor, meaning, if we're lucky, a near-endless amount of levels to play through.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:32 PM »

Ohh! Never heard of Saracen, will check it out! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »

I've been working on adding types to the objects (i.e. wall, monster, player, etc..) and then I have to start the logic to process them.

I'm currently thinking about the best way to do this.. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »

A techie bit:

I've developed a snippet of code today which will come in very useful for me. I thought it might be helpful for others too and worthy of posting.

What it does is when you provide a list of words (i.e. red, blue, green) in a header file, it sets up enum values from that list for a new type.

Then later on in your code it gives you the ability to convert a string representation of that value name (in this example "green", as you would have in a text/xml file) into the equivalent enum value.

Here's how it works..

First you define the list of words / enum values. Then you create a type from that list:

Code:
#define colour_list   red,blue,green,yellow,orange,purple,black,white
enum colour {colour_list};

Then in your config part you use another macro define:

Code:
colour our_colour = STRING_TO_ENUM(colour_string, colour);

if ( our_colour == green ) Green();

The string to enum magic is done by these defines:

Code:
#define QUOTE(name) #name
#define STR(macro) QUOTE(macro)
#define STRING_TO_ENUM(a, b) (b##)find_word_in_list( a, STR(b##_list) )

Which calls a simple function that scans through the text and return the word number in the list (starting at 0), and this gets converted into the relevant enum value.

It might look a bit complicated, but by using this method I only have to declare the values in a list once instead of twice (once for the enum and once for the strings, which increases the workload and the chance of a typo).

Gentleman
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »

We can also then expand this to have another function which can search for multiple words in a string and ignoring anything after an '=' sign. This lets us have a bitfield style enum: red=1,green=2,blue=4 (or red=1<<0,green=1<<1,blue=1<<2) and be able to then have multiple enum states.

To do this we would just have in the string "red,green" and then in the code we could do:
Code:
if ( colour & ( red | green ) ) red_green();

Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »

I've implemented movement options as part of a component based system and I now have my very first moving tile in the game.

I can expand on this system for monster, missile and player movement. Smiley
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »

Nice to see some tech tricks, but why do you want words like "green" in resource files/code? I just use a format "#00FF00" when I need a colour in a resource file, and in code it would be 0x00FF00, or Color(0,255,0). (Or 0x00FF00FF if alpha is involved). Actually I suppose if you had an indexed palette, where the string "green" mapped to a specific green colour, say 0x14EE09, then that would be handy.. Huh?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic