Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:27:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsblue:I
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: blue:I  (Read 7823 times)
siskavard
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »

Reminds me of Kingdom of Kroz, of which I spent most of my early childhood playing

looking forward to playing this
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2013, 06:23:57 AM »

Just found this devlog and glad to see you have another project going happymonster. Will be following this one also. Really enjoy reading your technical posts even if I'm not much of a programmer Smiley

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »

Aww, thanks guys!

I don't think my posts are that great when I describe the technical side (I'm not very clear), but I'm glad people like them. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2013, 02:18:01 AM »

I've added in scrolling. Smiley I might have to refine this in the future (or allow different scrolling types). At the moment the scrolling keeps the player locked in the middle of the screen (except when near the edges of a map and it can't scroll anymore).

The advantage for this is that as the player is focusing on his player sprite it appears rock steady even if the scrolling might stutter from time to time due to other processes stealing frames (Curse you Windows, will you ever behave??!).

The disadvantage is this might be a bit distracting when everything is moving around the player all the time. It might be better to only scroll if the player reaches the edge of an invisible rectangle overlaid on the screen (if that makes sense).

Any thoughts?  Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2013, 05:17:51 AM »

It might be better to only scroll if the player reaches the edge of an invisible rectangle overlaid on the screen (if that makes sense).
Seems like the best way to do it to me.

P.S. if you're planning on going commercial with this game, release it as shareware for maximum authenticity  Wink
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »

I've added a small skull tile which can generate the green monsters you saw previously in the screenshots. Needs some tweaking for the generator rates, but so far it's working well. Smiley
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

invisible rectangle for sure

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »

Well the collisions are working better now! Still a few bugs to sort out though. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »

Well the collision was working better. But I br8ken it!  No No NO
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »

I fixed it now.. still a few bugs to stomp on though.  Roll Eyes
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »

Low frame rate GIF of a Stress Test of the engine (ingame this runs at 60fps, full screen):

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »

Looks really smooth. Can't tell from the gif that it's tiles-based movement.
Any demo soon?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »

Thanks, it does look smoother than I expected. I'll still got a bit to do before I have anything playable. But hopefully soon! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2013, 12:58:59 AM »

I've added a gate pad tile, which when you move off of it slams a impassible gate down behind you. I've also added a fire tile which doesn't move, but generates new fire around itself (so in effect a growing fire) that you can shoot to destroy. These were both very easy to add in the game now the game engine is developing.

I thought I'd talk about how I'm doing the tile system. Originally I had it so that when you moved to a new tile the player tile would move onto the new tile immediately (collecting any thing there if necessary) and then the player would be drawn sliding onto the new tile. The advantage of doing this order of movement is that you can have tiles moving in the same direction right behind each other when there is no space between them.

However as I found out the disadvantage is that if you have an arrow and a monster meeting like this: > x then both could die with that one tile space still between them, which looks wrong. Internally both tiles try to move to the same space and see they would collide and die, but visually they haven't slid closer than one tile space apart when this happens.

After trying several different things (and failing!) I've come upon the solution of reversing the way the tile movement works. Now the player (or other) tile doesn't move until the end of the sliding animation, although collecting of keys and coins happens at the start. The disadvantage of this is that a tile can't follow immediately behind another, but the advantage is that tiles can collide visually before dying or other logic occurs.

One issue with this system is what happens when you have two tiles trying to move into the same space. I.e. if you have this layout of two monsters trying to move into the middle space: x x

In this case both tiles can try to move into the empty space (they see it as empty) and then overlap and overwrite each other when they have both moved into the middle tile. I get around this by adding a marker at the start of the move to the destination tile to say that this tile will be occupied. However, this is based on a bitfield of the tile type, so I can stop monsters trying to move into the same square, but keep arrows and monsters trying to move onto the same square before both die, so we will see a nice visual collision.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »

Now we have 3 monsters (all with the same behaviour, but doing different amounts of damage), and 3 skull generators. In Dandy style the largest skull/monster changes to the middle strength one when shot, and the middle strength one changes to the weakest one when shot. The weakest one dies.. Smiley

Now the player can take damage and die as well.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2013, 08:13:39 AM »

Got a lot done today!

First I've worked on the level editor a lot more, now the help text is shown over two lines rather than one. Secondly I've added helptext if you move over the icons or the minimap and you can click on the minimap to scroll to that location.

Most importantly though, I've let you play the current level from the map editor and return to there if you pass Escape! This is going to be invaluable for testing new level tiles, but also needed for the demo and full game. It's starting to come together now. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2013, 07:49:03 AM »

If you draw more than one player sprite or exit in the level, than a start point, and/or end point is picked at random upon playing. This helps give the level a bit more randomness. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

Ok, I've speeded up the lock opening times. I've also increased the speed and the amount of arrows you can fire at once, which feels better - especially when confronted by the monsters and skulls!

I've added back in the ability to damage / destroy tiles next to you (despite your arrow tile not being present in the map). I removed the virtual layer code I discussed before as I realised there was a better and more efficient way to do it.

Tiles now have at least 3 modes when they are nor visible on the screen, continue logic as normal (the default), stop logic (may use for some skulls or other tiles), and kill the tile (used for arrows so they don't go across all the map).

I think I'd like to add some placeholder chippy sound effects and then we are pretty much looking good to go for the first public demo with a simple test map.

(I can only assume the lack of posts is due to people waiting for the demo. Wink Tongue)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »

Game looks smooth, but I want to see a really interesting level. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic