Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1034950 Posts in 41753 Topics- by 33344 Members - Latest Member: Lawlcopt0r

August 22, 2014, 09:40:57 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsblue:I
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: blue:I  (Read 4846 times)
surt
Level 4

Meat by-product.

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2013, 01:33:57 AM »

Works under Wine for me, though for some reason I have to manually alt-tab into it to get input to work.

Moving and shooting with the same direction keys is too awkward.
Worked for Gauntlet. Though a more modern option (wasd move, cursors fire) would be a nice option.

I reckon the diagonals is cool as is.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »

Cool, thanks for trying it! Smiley

SpaceHero Command ... In Development
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23173.0
siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »

Holding CTRL + arrow keys to shoot is way too clunky. You should maybe consider a Binding of Isaac style control/shooting scheme.

Other than that I would tend to agree with eigenbom's feedback. Feels like it could go in any direction.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »

Thanks siskavard! Smiley

I think the control scheme is related to the fact that this is how Dandy works and suits my playing style. You have to advance and retreat (without shooting) and then pick off enemies all around you. It's a bit like a Sniper style. I can see that those who lead to wade in shooting everywhere would find the current method not suitable.

I'll try adding in a WASD fire key pattern as well as a second fire button which lets you shoot and move. I'll see how that works. Smiley

I'm also going to start adding in more puzzle based tile types (inspired by Chips Challenge and other games).

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »

This looks interesting and reminds me somewhat of some of my own games, will try it out later.

Edit: Yeah this could really benefit from WASD firing and also allowing the player to fire while moving, unless you don't want the player to be able to do that.

I also felt it was rather boring sitting in front of a narrow chokehold killing enemies that were endlessly streaming through while holding down the fire button.  Having the player sit there and do that isn't paticuarly interesting.  IMO the enemy spawners should only activate when the player is close to them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:54:25 AM by Udderdude » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

Thanks for trying! I'm glad it works ok.. :D

I think you have to choose a direction: Gauntlet, Saracen, Adventure, Rogue, ... and push the game in that direction. That will determine the features you focus on, and the level design.

Well, the core idea I want to keep is that this is more of a Sandbox. I want the player to be able to create the type of level (and game) that he wants. Whether that is pure action, puzzle or something in between.

Yeah but in a Sandbox the player has freedom to do pretty much anything in the game, and make their own goals, and/or can build things in the game. Providing a level editor doesn't make the game a sandbox, otherwise Duke Nukem3D, Doom, etc., would all be considered sandboxes.

At the moment it feels like you've got a bunch of simple mechanics (keys, doors, brickwalls, ...) and seem to be attempting to make a level that uses them. They have no limited connection to the enemies, apart from releasing them from their closed off compartments.

I thought that was how people made levels? Can you clarify what the alternative is you are suggesting? I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean here.

I'm not talking about levels, I'm talking about the process you are using to make the game.

An alternative would be to design a level on paper and then, from that, infer or design the primitives of the game. I'm not sure what you exactly did, but all I said was that it "felt" like a bunch of disconnected mechanics trying to be arranged into a level.

Moving and shooting with the same direction keys is too awkward. Those arena shooters usually have dual joysticks, or mouse-click to shoot, don't they? But if the game was more strategic, with fewer enemies that move slower, the current method may be fine.

Really? I thought one joystick and one fire button was the norm in a lot of the older games. Maybe that's the issue. Do you think people will see this as wrong because they are used to dual joysticks or mice?

Well in Saracen you only ever have one item, and the projectiles have a pre-specified direction. So, e.g., you pick up a left facing arrow, then pressing fire will shoot it in the left direction. This constraint actually led to some really great puzzles. Other games, like Wizard of Wor, iirc, shoot in the direction you are facing. Not sure about older C64 arena shooters.

GL!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »

I'll have to think about all of this. Clearly some issues with the game at the moment.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »

I've taken a break for some days to think about where I want the game to go. I'm currently leaning towards the idea of making it more puzzle focussed, with larger tiles so you can see less of the map at once. Also a new graphical style (less iconic).

Still debating it all though..

Any thoughts?

eigenbom
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »

Play saracen!

siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »

I really like the bold, iconic graphics.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

I'm fickle.

For now I'm putting this on hold and going to do some more work on SpaceHero Command.. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic