Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:26:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUpthere
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Upthere  (Read 4230 times)
MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

UPTHERE

Upthere (working title) is a lighthearted block-pushing puzzle game, with a grain of platforming. It is inspired by a lot of things like: Offspring Fling, Jelly no Puzzle, Fez, Pullblox (aka Pushmo).

There's also a story in the game. I can't speak of it much at the moment, but it's about a little postman and the letters that he delivers.

Main theme revolves around pushing blocks in such a way so you can get to all the mailboxes on the level. Also there is gonna be a way to use specific items to interact with blocks, create new blocks and maybe more. Sounds easy enough, but I hope I will be able to pull out the hard (read "fun", it's a puzzle!) stuff with only these mechanics.

I'm doing this alone, and it's really early in development, so the graphics will come later. Working mechanics is the prime thing right now. But I'll aim for something cute and bright, eye-candy, if I will be able to.

Starting this devblog, I hope to keep myself motivated longer, as well as find some feedback on the ideas I'm working on.

UPDATES:
Clickable screenshots:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:36:12 PM by MapiMopi » Logged

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »

Jelly no Puzzle

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES
WHY IS IT SO HARD

Looks great though. I hope you make it as hard as Jelly no Puzzle.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »

Posting because it's looking slick. Nice work so far!

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »

a drunk red-nosed postman. muhahaha  Beer!

MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »

a drunk red-nosed postman. muhahaha  Beer!

Haha, a game about drunk postman would be nice (GTA4-drunk, that is). Or even better, a drunk paperboy N64.

Though, I'm thinking about changing him into this, cuter version.

After all, it's a love story (of sorts).

Progress so far: pushing blocks is working as it needed to be. I bet there will be some bugs in their behavior, it's tough to predict every possibility in this kind of game. I hope I will be able to get away with some additional if's.

I actually made this pushing and merging mechanic three times already, every time with different approach. The last one seems the best and the only working so far.

Ashkin
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:22:48 AM »

I'm thinking about changing him into this, cuter version.

After all, it's a love story (of sorts).
Honestly, I feel that the first version is better/has more personality/is less generic.
MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »

@Ashkin
Actually yes, good point, I was afraid of it. Got to spend a lot more time on this guy...

MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »

It's been a while, so I feel that I need to post some progress. But I also feel that there's not much to show.

I made some sprites when I was in the mood, but most stuff I've been working on was internal things or gameplay things. Like buttons, somewhat working ladders or proper jumps (they look awful with only one and a half animation frames).

Anyways, here's one lovely screenshot:

I did go with red-nosed guy, actually like him more.

I'm not sure about the whole art style though. I really want to make something besides pixel art, but, as a single down handed developer, I'm afraid it will be hard to pull out.

redrimple
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »

I think the red nosed guy has tons of character and I love the simplicity of the postman character idea/letter delivery mechanic. Pixel art doesn't have to be stilted or cliched, just look at Kentucky Route Zero! Keep up the good work, it's looking great so far.
MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »

Hey, thanks! That's really nice to hear.
Although, right now I think that I'm not using that character fully, but hope I'll figure it out.

Well, might as well post a little update!

Day-night span!

Last week I've spent on enlarging the graphics. Now it's 1x1, no scaled pixels, looks and feels nicer, I think.
Not saying that it's the final variant, just playing around.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »

Looks good!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »

It does look pretty good. It feels kind of weird to me because you're using 2x2 pixels in a lot of places (the shading on the blocks, for example), but then break for 1x1 pixels in other places (like the mailbox, mailman, clouds, and outer tiles).

mindbrk;
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »

I loved Jelly No Puzzle. Keep up the good work  Smiley

Follow'd  Hand Thumbs Up Right
MapiMopi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »

Thanks for your kind words!

@SolarLune
It's the grass, right? Yes, there are some other places where I used two pixel width brush, but it's mostly the grass.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »

His nose is also bugging me.
It's too square.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »

the other character picture looks amazing. i dont know about the current one.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »

His nose is also bugging me.
It's too square.
I like it!

Looks fun

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »

@SolarLune
It's the grass, right? Yes, there are some other places where I used two pixel width brush, but it's mostly the grass.

No, actually I didn't notice the grass until you pointed it out, and it still doesn't look weird to me now. It's the brown diamonds that look a bit odd to me. The waves you had before were more consistent with the overall style, I think. Also, fading the outer edges of the screen / making the blocks get darker as they fall away from the main game field and not stop so abruptly would be nice.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic