Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:14:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesKnytt Online is a Go!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Knytt Online is a Go!  (Read 25615 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

There was some talk on Nifflas' forums about this a month ago, and to my utter gentlemanly surprise, it's actually going ahead (Niff's given his approval)!  Here's the current progress video on YouTube:

And here's the proper link to the forum thread on Niff's forum; the link from the YouTube video doesn't work anymore because the topic has been moved.

http://nifflas.ni2.se/forum/index.php?topic=6694.0

Oh, fuck.  I just read that the guy making it has had to take a break for school and won't be working on it until his next break.  Ah well, I suppose that's a reason I of all people can respect.
Renton
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »

HELL YEAH! Beer!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »

Chats ruin online games Sad

I like Endless Forest's idea of not using any text chat at all, that way you cut out all the lol and u and r stuff, which distract from the feeling that you're in a game, and instead have to communicate through in-game actions only.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »

I agree with rinkuhero, in this kind of atmospheric game there shouldn't really be any chat, it kind of ruins the environment.
Renton
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:06:38 AM »

They say chat will be optional. I'm gonna turn it off. Maybe they can put in no-chating zones.
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:50:59 AM »

Hell yes! As a fan of the Knytt series, I can't wait to play this. :D

Will it have a purpose, and levels designed around the multiplayer element? Such as one player being in a room with a closed door, and another player opening said door from another screen? You know, using the co-op stuff.

Also, will there be a level editor, along with the possibility to create your own maps (and then host a server which serves said level) to much enjoyment?

Still, great job. Beer!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:28:02 AM »

I'm all for the no-chat policy.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:24 AM »

I'm sorry, but frankly I don't see the appeal in this game. For me the atmosphere was the main catch of Knytt Stories. The gameplay is very polished and the occasional puzzle nice, but I couldn't see how that would work for a multiplayer game. At least to me that doesn't seem to add or change anything about the atmosphere and simultaneous jump'n'running with a friend also doesn't seem all that appealing.
I don't mean to sound too harsh, but I just don't seem to get it.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
dessgeega
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:42:05 AM »

imagine: now as you run along that austere, devestatingly lonely landscape, the patter of your footsteps the only sound save the last lingering trace of a single fading guitar strum, half of your screen will be filled with HAY WERE IS THE FIFTH SHIP PEICE LOL GET OUT NUB THIS IS MY FAVORATE INDIE GAME WHAT OTHER INDIE GAMES DO U LIKE ANY1 GOT A TORRENT OF KNYT STORIES MSG ME FOR FREE WOW GOLD EXP

this is progress. we've arrived.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »

I'll have to disagree with the bunch of you. I think this has a lot of potential. I think that playing through a Knytt game with a good friend could be very special, chat or no chat.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:52:14 AM by toastie » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Renton
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:14:25 AM »

With the right kinda community, it could be great. Then again, it will probably have the usual free-online-game crowd...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »

I'll have to disagree with the bunch of you. I think this has a lot of potential. I think that playing through a Knytt game with a good friend could be very special, chat or no chat.

I agree with this, but I think you can accomplish the same thing already by 2 people playing it on one computer, taking turns and helping each other. That'd be even more special than multiplayer.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »

But what about the hermit sociopaths?  Well, hello there!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »

If you play online games with others you're not really a hermit or a sociopath in the true sense of those words.

Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »

vanilla-multiplayer knytt would be pretty special actually.  playing with a friend, significant other.

mmo knytt...  yeah, hope there are no-chat zones.  doesn't sound like there will be, though.

if it were really low-key chat (same screen only or something), that wouldn't be too bad, though.  just avoid overpopulated screens.

the problem with optional chat would be that if you turn it off, you turn into an antisocial hermit.  it's not like  suddenly everyone would use in-game actions to communicate with you.
Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »

I also don't see how this could work out but I'm still hoping it will.

Text should appear over your head.

Renton
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 12:08:04 PM »

I'm not against occasional chat but it's probably going to turn into a l33tSp3akfest.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »

I'm not against occasional chat but it's probably going to turn into a l33tSp3akfest.

I'm not sure, I would have thought Knytt isn't exactly the kind of game to attract the LOLPWND crowd?

Apart from that, I too am not entirely convinced this will work, gameplay-wise, but I'll be following it with interest.
Renton
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »

Well, from what I've seen, they will be implementing modifiable houses for players, so the game might suddenly become a hit chat-town in no time with the introductions made to right people (such as 4chan).
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »

Well, from what I've seen, they will be implementing modifiable houses for players, so the game might suddenly become a hit chat-town in no time with the introductions made to right people (such as 4chan).

That doesn't sound too bad actually. As long as chat is per-screen, you can simply stay away from the people you don't like. Just imagine, there could be a TIGS village where we could all hang out! Kiss
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic