Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:40:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe polite answer to "you play all the day"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: The polite answer to "you play all the day"  (Read 5049 times)
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »

Hi everyone

I would like to ask you a question for a "problem" that comes back again and again in my life. Ok, problem is a big word ^_^, I can live with it...
...but I'm curious to know if someone has a better answer than mine.
I mean a polite answer - or at least a funny one.

What is the best answer you give to your friends, when they tell you that you don't work but play game (= develop games) all the day?
Tks ^_^

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »

It's probably just a problem of them not understanding what the process entails... so you could show them if they are interested.  If not, then there's not much you can do about it, without understanding people don't have anything to go on, except for their assumptions.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:02:32 AM by compostface » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:29:20 PM »

Never had that happen to me. Are you sure these are friends? Smiley

If someone said that to me, I'd laugh and explain that developing games takes a huge amount of work and bears almost no resemblance to playing them. A comparatively small amount of playing is of course involved for testing and tweaking, but that's not where the bulk of the time spent on a game goes. If you do manage to write a game that's fun enough that it makes you want to spend all day playing it, that's a huge success.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »

i'd redouble my efforts, refocused onto a higher goal, such as a degree in medicine, and in 5 years time, i'd be the one laughing. this is a very powerful technique and must be used sparingly.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »

Dr. Joe

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »

Never had that happen to me. Are you sure these are friends? Smiley

If someone said that to me, I'd laugh and explain that developing games takes a huge amount of work and bears almost no resemblance to playing them. A comparatively small amount of playing is of course involved for testing and tweaking, but that's not where the bulk of the time spent on a game goes. If you do manage to write a game that's fun enough that it makes you want to spend all day playing it, that's a huge success.
ahah really? Lucky guy! :D And, yes, good friend, really.

You do exactly what I do but, in my experience, some still don't understand. I think that if you don't develop you don't understand the work behind it. Don't you think?
Tks for answering Wink

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

i'd redouble my efforts, refocused onto a higher goal, such as a degree in medicine, and in 5 years time, i'd be the one laughing. this is a very powerful technique and must be used sparingly.

:D , love this.
But with which tone? :D

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 03:20:13 AM »

"I'm playin' by my self, here! Feel free to join in!"

Yeah.
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 03:43:01 AM »

It's called research and now gimme back my joystick.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:28 AM »

"... so?"

I don't see any problem with playing all day so long as you're not being a burden on society.

Or I guess if you want people to think you're a hard working person you can stop telling them that you're making games and tell them that you're programming. Programming == work in the minds of most people, I think.
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 05:13:31 AM »

"But all-the-day didn't complain."

Ask them to dev with you, they might understand. (or showing them your line of code or artwork)

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »

"all work and no play makes mrKaizen a dull boy"

and then look for an axe
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

Come to think of it, I think most of my friends play more than I do. I don't play MMOs or MOBAs or anything as time-consuming these days. It takes an especially addictive game or something like a LAN party to keep me playing all day.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »

'no'

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

hey. heres an idea. if you are embarrassed about telling people about your job, either get better at your job until it is no longer a source of shame, or get a different job, or learn to be a better liar.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »

Because indie game developers found ways to make money out of incomplete projects\bug ridden games\ideas on paper so no wonder people think they don't work.
I am not sure how hard indie game developers really work compared to real jobs.

The thing is, as a game developer you can do whatever you want, there is no defined goal like curing a disease, or making the building last, or make tastey hot dogs. You do whatever the fff you want and the people playing your game don't know how many features you have cut oout or how many bugs you didn't fix because you wanted to spend that time watching TV or whatever.

There is sometime no correlation between the amount of work invested and how much money you make, I am sure every succesful indie developer also developed his game around profitability.

Some indies just go networking and make a simple game and their game becomes a success because of their networking, not because they put a great effort in the game.

In other words, there is a reason why real jobs are more stressful, that's because people have to work hard, If you are not in a minimal amount of stress you don't work hard.
I am usually not in stress when I dev my game at home as a hobby, it's alot more relaxed than my real job.

Master of all trades.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »

I am not sure how hard indie game developers really work compared to real jobs.
there is no defined goal
there is a reason why real jobs are more stressful,
that's because people have to work hard
giggling
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »

like i let out a Hearty Cartoon Man Chuckle at that post. thank u.
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »

It's called research and now gimme back my joystick.

ahahaha I like this.

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

hey. heres an idea. if you are embarrassed about telling people about your job, either get better at your job until it is no longer a source of shame, or get a different job, or learn to be a better liar.
:D "better liar"

The point is not to be embarrassed or to lie, it's that developing games is like making arts in some way (or at least for some people, maybe a bit older...) or, in my experience, living as a DJ: works where people think it's not really a job but just "fun". Do you understand my point?

Btw I'm not embarrassed at all - I'm very proud Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic