Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:49:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Traveler - A roguelike in space
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Traveler - A roguelike in space  (Read 2253 times)
Alberto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »

Hello, I'm starting our devlog for The Traveler. The game is a 2D top down sci-fi roguelike in space inspired by games like Brogue and Spelunky. It's being developed for the Ouya game console and has been in slow development for several months but now we've ramped up a good team (mostly from the forums here) to make it happen.

Title: The Traveler
Genre: Roguelike
Game Engine: Unity 3D
Platforms: Ouya (launch), PC/Mac/Linux (planned)
Release: Early 2014 (beta launch), planned frequent updates
Design: Real time exploration with turn based combat.

Here's an early screenshot with some art, some placeholders:

In The Traveler your goal is to travel to as many sectors of space as possible before you die (permadeath). You'll explore each sector looking for the Nexus, a piece of alien technology that activates the Fringe which jumps the player to the next sector. In each sector you'll find resources to continue your journey, defeat aliens in tense ship to ship combat, and level up to upgrade your ship with new weapons and abilities.

We're very excited to be working on and sharing this project with you and will be updating this devlog often with our progress. I'd love to get feedback and ideas as we have more to share.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:45:57 PM by Alberto » Logged

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:16 AM »

I love space games and having one with the focus on exploration sounds really interesting.  I'll be following this intently  Smiley.  Good luck
Alberto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »

Just a quick update here, we're continuing to plug along and are working on implementing our UI among other things. Below is a screenshot of combat with 3 enemy ships around an asteroid. Combat UI is placeholder but starting to lay things out.

We've also started to put in some more sound/music which really starts to make it feel more like a game. I'll have to make some recordings and post on YouTube soon to share.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic