Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:38:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBioshock: Infinite
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Bioshock: Infinite  (Read 7551 times)
feminazi
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »

this gam is dum. so dum that i cant giv it a dum rating.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

Well the game seems like on the same line of spec ops and farcry 3. Kind of enough of this crap meta vibes. You are not only not the hero, you are the villain in some way, generally in denial, and the constant killing is heavily looked down across the scenario. The protagonist dies at the end. That's the new formula.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »

i think the complaints about violence come less from the story and wanting to identify with the protagonist or trying to validate it as art (even without the violence, it's a dumb, meandering narrative anyway), but with the desire to play another shenmue where you do nothing and everything is great.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »

Proteus, amnesia, dear ester

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/stories/s3733057.htm

don't agree w/ everything in there but it has some poignant analysis i think
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »

Compare the game to the early video, you can tell that they had a bumpy road and decide to finally go safe and having a product rather than nothing.

Some scene are absent, some gameplay aren't there, and the promise social interaction is entirely unseen.

It's a failed ambition which has been (masterfully imho) saved from total disaster by pulling the cord at the right moment and re purposing without showing the seams what was already done.

I wish the prod I was one could have done that to save its own very promising project (10tacles totems)

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

and it still got a 95 on metacritic

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
feminazi
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »

it cos they not track my scores
im a profesional review
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »

Yeah I think the author of this article totally missed the point of the "throw the ball at the couple/announcer" choice in the beginning. To make the morally good choice in that situation is counterproductive to your mission. Booker is there to rescue Elizabeth, not to blow his cover in an act of foolish heroism.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »

the "tv stupid" moment where you pick the ball w/ #77 despite a message telling you not to, and after seeing posters calling you a devil, really bugged me

and then it gives you a fake decision instead of letting you decide to pick a different ball or something

it feels like they, once upon a time, were going somewhere with that, before they chopped the game up into little pieces and glued it back together as a first person arena shmup

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »

Yeah I think the author of this article totally missed the point of the "throw the ball at the couple/announcer" choice in the beginning. To make the morally good choice in that situation is counterproductive to your mission. Booker is there to rescue Elizabeth, not to blow his cover in an act of foolish heroism.
i was talking more about his somewhat moralistic fretting over videogame violence. there are some minor points i disagree with too but i agree w/ the general thrust.

this quote here is great for instance
In taking the game seriously, I want to be as clear as possible: BioShock Infinite uses racism for no other reason than to make itself seem clever. Worse, it uses racism and real events in an incredibly superficial way—BioShock Infinite seeks not to make any meaningful statement about history or racism or America, but instead seeks to use an aesthetics of ‘racism’ and ‘history’ as a barrier to point to and claim importance. BioShock Infinite presents a veneer of intelligence—with wholly unexplored and mystifying asides to complicated concepts like Manifest Destiny and the New Eden—without ever following through.
poe
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »

the "tv stupid" moment where you pick the ball w/ #77 despite a message telling you not to, and after seeing posters calling you a devil, really bugged me

and then it gives you a fake decision instead of letting you decide to pick a different ball or something

it feels like they, once upon a time, were going somewhere with that, before they chopped the game up into little pieces and glued it back together as a first person arena shmup

The choice was to throw the ball at the couple or not. If you don't you get some gear later on from them. So it isn't a fake decision but it's a meaningless decision.

I've seen some people mention that the idea of all the decisions doing nothing was to show how powerless Booker is, because in the end there's always a girl and a lighthouse.
AshfordPride
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUt5dEMt_Y#t=8m

I mean, I'm sure if you don't stick up for the guy they'd notice you anyway, but at least it isn't preceded by five minutes of DONT FUCKING DO THIS BOOKER.

Also, man, all this beta footage.

Anyone notice that the enemies used to hoop and holler like Indians in every incarnation of the game we saw other than the final one? 
feminazi
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »

r they gona mak mor bioshocks they alredy count to infintiy
mayb a bioshock infinity plus 1
deathtotheweird
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »

That certainly doesn't look like actual footage to me, it looks like a heavily scripted demo. Which I'm almost 1000% positive it is.

The only thing in that footage that's different from the final game gameplay wise is the size of the area and the skyhook. The size of that level looks too large for what consoles could probably handle. Which is one  of the things I was really disappointed with how poorly it was implemented. I wish the skyhook was everywhere and not just in a few pre-determined places.

There also seems to be a lot less visual clutter, something that bugs me was the shield and vigor effects that totally eat up your screen when you use them. Makes the battle hard to see when you have shit blocking your view all the time.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »

i was talking more about his somewhat moralistic fretting over videogame violence. there are some minor points i disagree with too but i agree w/ the general thrust.

this quote here is great for instance
In taking the game seriously, I want to be as clear as possible: BioShock Infinite uses racism for no other reason than to make itself seem clever. Worse, it uses racism and real events in an incredibly superficial way—BioShock Infinite seeks not to make any meaningful statement about history or racism or America, but instead seeks to use an aesthetics of ‘racism’ and ‘history’ as a barrier to point to and claim importance. BioShock Infinite presents a veneer of intelligence—with wholly unexplored and mystifying asides to complicated concepts like Manifest Destiny and the New Eden—without ever following through.

IMO the "intelligent" part was what was cut to the shrine of production reality, that would explain bizarre things like civilian people disappearing on and off between battle. Or many instance where the multiverse looks like it was meant to branched on player's choice. Also he had advertize a lot the fact you can interact with the public to participate in the revolution and picking side ... I guess the part of "booker is a hero" was meant to be consequence rather than script, it end up with tacky handling of vox populi. It also looks like a lot of character should had have more screen time (the vox populi leader) and end up having none.

You can see the seams all other but they are pretty well covered given the scope of the promise.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2013, 01:23:16 AM »

yeah i can see that looking at those early videos but it's not that pertinent to my quote because i don't think the "political commentary" in the game would have been much different.

also lol "press a to stop execution" is cheesy as fuck

btw: i would have actually preferred the flawed but more ambitious version of the game. but yeah seeing as this is a game that cost millions of $$$ to make probably didn't have any chance of happening in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:37:14 AM by il grande silenzio » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2013, 03:08:40 AM »

I think it is also because traducing what is mostly exposition or social in solid gameplay (ie good framing, good priming and good interaction) is more adventurous, not something you solve with "advance ai", I bet if they had in idea to make a CYOA with few branch instead of trying to have social reaction (notice that the social reaction of Elizabeth has been also cut, no more Lincoln head, she is way more straightforward, no more branching dialogue with her). So maybe the social commentary would have been more nuanced if they could have implemented fully developed character (bioshock 1 is way more develop at this level, they had lot of exposition about their philosophy, life, and growth). Infinite are largely cartoon in contrast, mostly because they don't get to have time or any exposition (i'm da villain, i'm da rebel, look multiverse!).
I'm still impressed because the cut has been smart enough to still get a feeling of wholeness, but that was just keeping the basic backbone and reducing it to the main duo. The writer is competent and know how to handle failure.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2013, 04:12:37 AM »

bioshock 1 still ended up saying basically nothing about politics or ayn rand or w/e though....
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2013, 04:38:44 AM »

I said it would be more nuanced, not thoughtful Tongue bioshock = ideology taken too far is bad (and the player is manipulated in some way about the truth), it is about idea taken to their extrems conclusion, it's tonal backdrop more than a thoughtful exploration, notice I shift to social instead of politics, character tend to take more importance than the ideology they serves. IMO it's way better than typical game story, the only one AAA that WANT to say something is MGS (i'm thinking more about the 2), but only if you can parse it from the backdrop of cliché theme like war is bad, identity, banality and epicness.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic