Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:12:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGlob the game - cartoony platforming adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Glob the game - cartoony platforming adventure  (Read 2475 times)
meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »

In Glob the game, you will slide, squish and shoot your way through many challenging levels in a colorful 2d world. Various enemies, traps, and power-ups will help and hinder your journey! Coming to iOS Android, PC, Mac, Linux, and OUYA.

Really enjoying all the insight on this forum and wanted to get a Devlog going.

The main gameplay is mostly done and feels good, but I've still got a lot of work to do, adding levels, different enemies and environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZdcwIDods&feature=youtu.be

Will continue to post updates on here. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:05:55 AM by meta87 » Logged

psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »

The little guy looks like he's sticky enough that he could walk on walls and ceilings like Spider-man or something.  Smiley  I like the wide variety of platforms you're releasing for...
meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

Thanks for the reply Psyguy! That's a really cool idea about sticking to walls. I've been thinking about something like that on certain walls that have a green goo on them. Would open up some interesting level design options.

Also glad to hear that about the multi-platform support. I've worked really hard on getting responsive, intuitive controls on touch devices (iOS and Android), but I know some people still prefer to play with a controller or keyboard.

Here's a few sketches I did today. Trying to come up with some more badguys for Glob to encounter!

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »

Nice, I really like the graphic style you have so far! I wish you the best of luck!
meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »

Thanks a lot Gravity Games!

I decided to work on the biting worm guy, who I'm nicknaming "Muncher". Will post a little video showing the steps to bring him to life soon.

meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »

As promised here is a little video showing me making "Munch".

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:47:38 AM by meta87 » Logged

meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »

Made some progress on a new setting, southwestern cliffs esque. Lots of boulders dropping on Glob in these levels! Linking to the youtube video of the action Smiley

psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:27:08 AM »

It's very bright and colorful, I like it.  It looks like you're using some kind of procedural animation on the green dragon, it looks really good!  His idle animations (or what he's doing when not trying to eat you) give him life.

At the start of the new gif, one of the rolling boulders makes it over the "pit," but the next one doesn't make it.  Does the glob guy jumping on top of the boulder slow it down, causing it to fall into the pit?
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:34:34 AM »

It's very bright and colorful, I like it.  It looks like you're using some kind of procedural animation on the green dragon, it looks really good!  His idle animations (or what he's doing when not trying to eat you) give him life.

At the start of the new gif, one of the rolling boulders makes it over the "pit," but the next one doesn't make it.  Does the glob guy jumping on top of the boulder slow it down, causing it to fall into the pit?

Indeed, that's what looks like. And if you did notice an attack that Glob has, also slows the rolling things.
meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »

Thanks for the comments! Yea the boulders have realistic physics and Glob can slow them down (somewhat) with the globs he throws or by jumping on them. It makes for some unpredictable fun!

meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »

Lately I've been redoing a lot of my animations with Spine http://esotericsoftware.com/ a new skeletal animation program. Great performance on iOS (tested with 4th gen iPod). Works with a lot of game engines (xna, cocos2d, corona, etc). Not involved with the company in any way, just a happy user  Wink . Here are a couple gifs of creatures im working on in it:

meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »

Been a while since posting. Got distracted by Ludum Dare 26 (a weekend game jam). This was my first time entering and it was very fun. You can play my puzzle game Bezier Challenge HERE.

Pushing out that game so quickly really gave a me a boost to get Glob the game finished. Stripping out all the fluff, making several more levels and getting it polished.

I just bought a Nexus 7 and have been having fun testing out the game on it. Here's a youtube gameplay video from one of the tougher levels:

meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »

Sorry about the long delay since posting! Development on the game has been going very well. I will be submitting a preview build to Indiecade in the next few days and posting about beta testers soon after that. I recorded a video of the level select screen and the first Boss and uploading it to youtube. Check it out! Thanks for looking Smiley

meta87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »

Screenshot saturday! Well actually a Vine video of Glob's new death animation that I've been working on lately Smiley

https://vine.co/v/habjWaWpZ0I

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic