Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:09:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHtmlda [untitled Zelda clone in HTML5]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Htmlda [untitled Zelda clone in HTML5]  (Read 13780 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2015, 02:30:28 AM »

I like the apples! Both the apple icons on the left and the map icon on the right are way too close to the edges of the screen tho IMO. You should make the horizontal margin a bit bigger so that the icons don't lick the edges. It looks like the image has been cropped a bit.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2015, 05:00:40 AM »

Will you make the editor available to people to make their own campaigns? Kind of like Zelda Classic except less awful?
metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 09:40:16 PM »

I like the clean style!
her head is way too big though Shocked
water/waterfalls look great! maybe a bit of foam/splash would make them even nicer?
the apples are an interesting choice. but I think the hearts are so universal, they would not stand out as shameless copies.

On the waterfalls, I am overall trying to keep a good balance of detail vs. minimalism, for example if one thing gets too detailed then a lot of other stuff looks too plain by comparison.  But maybe I'll try adding some particles for the spray and see how it feels.

I like the apples! Both the apple icons on the left and the map icon on the right are way too close to the edges of the screen tho IMO. You should make the horizontal margin a bit bigger so that the icons don't lick the edges. It looks like the image has been cropped a bit.

Don't worry, the screenshot is just the contents of the HTML canvas, when you play the game for real it's surrounded by a larger black background, so there is plenty of space around it.

Will you make the editor available to people to make their own campaigns? Kind of like Zelda Classic except less awful?

Releasing the editor is a very strong possibility.  The editor already works well enough for what it does.  I might need to modify the map format to be more compact, and then come up with a good way for people to share quests and an easy way to play custom quests that others have shared.  The nicest way for this to work is a central server where the editor uploads new quests and the game can browse the server and download the quests you want to play.  The crappiest way is that you zip the whole game with the new quest file and people download it, unzip it, and open the webpage from their filesystem.

Also, Zelda Classic is one of the reasons I started this game project.  I downloaded it a few years ago, started messing around making a new quest for it, and then realized I might as well try making my own zelda clone, and here I am. 

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2015, 12:17:54 AM »

Small update, I recently added the ability to ride your raft over waterfalls.

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »

Did some work recently to art up the various UI screens/menus.

Inventory screen -- shows all weapons and treasures you've collected

Map screen -- shows unvisited rooms, visited rooms, and current room

Quick switch menu for weapons -- hold space and click with a mouse, then release space.  Inspired by radial menus like skyward sword, and Maya

bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2016, 05:31:50 AM »

Looking good!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »

Wow, so simple in graphics but with so much to see already. Will be following.

metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2016, 12:04:51 AM »

Latest progress:

I have recently felt stalled a bit when making new enemies/objects because I get hung up on what the art should look like.  I realized this was slowing me down so I resolved to rapid prototype a bunch of new ideas without worrying about art until after the gameplay is fun -- this also means I'm free to cut the enemy without guilt if I realize it was a bad idea. Part of proving that it's fun is seeing if I can make enough interesting rooms that incorporate the enemy/object in novel ways.  So by having a functional prototype i can actually play with different room ideas in the level editor and see if they work for real, not just in my imagination. I'm just using a simple colored square or circle with a letter or symbol to indicate the object type.  I set it up so i just need two lines of code to do that.

Here's one of the new enemies below, the "Swarm" (placeholder name) which uses flocking behavior to move as a living mass and chase down the player once they see her. There are various ways to deal with them, including using bombs to take out a bunch at a time, and using a torch to keep them at bay:

Finally a funny story -- I was really worried that my code was super unoptimized because with flocking turned off, the game ran 3.5ms faster than with flocking enabled.  This is just for 20 enemies doing the routine.  That meant that almost 40% of my frame was spent on flocking logic, which is really just some for loops with vector operations inside!  Finally i realized the real problem -- the flocking code rotated the sprite, which is unrotated by default.  The sprite included text -- and apparently canvas text rendering is much slower when rotated!  So just by leaving the sprite at default rotation, the perfomance problem went away.  This won't be an issue with my final vector art so I don't really need to worry about it.  Though it's a good lesson to use native text sparingly in my game, and never rotate it.

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2016, 10:14:30 AM »

The door perspective on the door frame silhouettes seems a bit odd to me, makes the floor pop up a bit.
It seems like it's more the light casting onto the ground that feels weird to me. Either way, the floor feels weird with that door at the bottom.

Those color palettes are awesome! How hard was it to implement that transition feature?

I kind of agree with both of you guys on the doors -- the way the light from outside spills into the room is still not right to me. I have done some additional iteration on it but haven't found anything I like yet.  Will keep trying.

What about this?

I'm not sure how you feel about gradients in your game, since you seem to be using flat colors in everything. But i would argue that if you resort to use gradients only on lighting elements, it will not detract from your aesthetic.

And i believe the key thing about the light i did is that it irradiates from the top of the door, not the bottom where it meets to floor. So you can try some options with flat color and see what you like best.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic