Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:40:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrate Collector
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Crate Collector  (Read 11657 times)
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »

Crate job so far.  Keep going!

Thanks! :D

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »

Day X+14: Refactored second prototype into proper game entites.

Recorded dev session is here:

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:28 AM »

Day X+15: Added demo mode on the menu screen and detection of crate collection/drop in regular play.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:16:36 PM by goshki » Logged

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »

Day X+16: Added score and "crates left" labels, started adding lives.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:36 AM »

Howdy! Crate Collector is not dead! It was in a hiatus for a month and a half but now it's back right on track. Below is a summary of the last half of month of work.

Day X+17 (2013-06-11): Fixed a bug that caused the game to stop responding to touches after pressing BACK on logo screen. Removed white line visible on the right side on some devices (e.g. Nexus 4 that has on-screen system keys).

Day X+18 (2013-06-12): Fixed a bug that caused the "TOUCH TO START" label to be added multiple times on the title screen.

Day X+19 (2013-06-18): Added collection time tracking and a score multiplier that is increased when crates are collected quickly. When a crate waits too long for a collection, the multiplier is reduced to x1.

Day X+20 (2013-06-20): Added animated slots at the bottom of each column that has to be opened (by tapping) to collect a crate. Modified the score multiplier logic so the multiplier is persisted between levels.

Day X+21 (2013-06-24): Made slot animation times dependent on tick interval. Added slot open time tracking so the player can open the slot a little bit earlier than the crate falls and still receive a score multiplier increase. Made score multiplier be reduced by half (but never less than x1). Added slow collection tracking - if the player collects crates too slowly (or too chaotically), they loose a life (a life loss risk is indicated by blinking of a right-most life icon).

Day X+22 (2013-06-25): Added automatic collection of all the crates that are collectable when the player looses a life. No score is awarded for those crates.

Day X+23 (2013-06-26): Fixed the score multiplier label to always show a value rounded to one decimal place. Added a grace time after score multiplier reduction. Score multiplier can be reduced once every three seconds. Fixed a bug that caused level to not be reset after returning to menu.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »

Day X+27 (yesterday): Began working on level completion animation. Added detection of crates that should be automatically collected (basically all the crates that are still falling when target crate number is reached).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:33:06 PM by goshki » Logged

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

Day X+28: Added automatic collection of all crates that are still falling when the level is completed. Extra points are awarded but there should be some more explicit visual indicator that the player earns extra points.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »

Day X+29: Made score multiplier rounded to an integer and increased every 5 PERFECY collections (and it's decreased by one in case of late collection). Made score multiplier label pulse when it gets increased. Added yellow markers over each slot and made them blink when with tick intervals. Tuned lane number calculation (now a new lane is added every five levels).

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »

Day X+30 (yesterday): Fixed the algorithm calculating the number of columns for a given level. Had to use FooPlot to visualize an off-by-one error. Also started working on Google Play Game Services integration.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:56 AM »

I think you should change name. Crate Collector sounds bit generic. How about "Crate Master" - IMO sounds better. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'll certainly get this if available for PC.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 05:49:59 AM »

I'm not especially attached to this name. It's kinda like codename but it describes the game rather precisely. But I'll be brainstorming some less generic name for sure.

I don't have any plans for PC target (apart from Flash version) and I'm afraid this kind of gameplay is best suited for touch controls. I have implemented keyboard controls for the Flash target but they feel kinda clumsy and it's really easy to press wrong keys.

SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »

I don't want to ruin it for you, but this games were riped-off from Game and Watch

So paying tribute might not be a good idea. Wish you good luck with the project though.  Smiley

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

I don't want to ruin it for you, but this games were riped-off from Game and Watch

So paying tribute might not be a good idea. Wish you good luck with the project though.  Smiley

I wasn't aware that these were rip-offs of Game and Watch, thanks for pointing it out. But it's not that much of a problem, I guess. Tribute may be a too strong word - it's just that I grew up with these things and they seem natural to me. After all, it's all about a specific kind of mechanics and control scheme that I'm after.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »

Day X+31: The number of crates collected perfectly required to increase the score multiplier grows exponentially. Added blue fade-in color on crates that are just about to fall on the collectable position.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »

Unless this game is designed for sale, how about posting builds of it every few days? With more eyes looking, bug hunting will be faster.

Be a computer virus!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »

Day X+32: Lowered tick interval increase amount a bit. Added best score save. Current best score is displayed on the title screen.

Unless this game is designed for sale, how about posting builds of it every few days? With more eyes looking, bug hunting will be faster.

I plan to put up some demo build sooner or later but right now it's still too crude.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

How about difficulty settings?

Easy - High tick interval, low amount
Normal - as you think will be good
Hard - low tick interval, high amount

Be a computer virus!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

How about difficulty settings?

Easy - High tick interval, low amount
Normal - as you think will be good
Hard - low tick interval, high amount

Nope, no difficulty settings. ;-) But the game is divided in to levels. Each level starts slow and gets more hectic by the end. Then the next level starts slow again (but faster than the previous one nonetheless). Also there's more crates to collect on each new level.

premonster
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »

I like the simplicity of this game, but how does it work?
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »

I like the simplicity of this game, but how does it work?

I'll try to put up some gameplay video soon, I just need to prepare some simplified graphics instead of raw rectangles I currently use. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic