Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1027870 Posts in 41250 Topics- by 32872 Members - Latest Member: Rayvolution

July 29, 2014, 10:49:44 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsCrate Collector
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Crate Collector  (Read 7214 times)
goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:52:56 PM »

I wonder...  If when you wanted to generate a new crate, maybe you could start by randomly selecting the time and location that you wanted it to "arrive" at the bottom of the screen.  From there, you could select one of the multiple conveyor belts at random, then base the speed of the crate's movement and the fall slot on that first calculation, kind of like a reverse logic of sorts.  Of course, that might already be what you were doing!  Smiley

The original version of algorithm is quite similar to what you describe, the only difference is that I don't calculate the speed. I crate the initial layout of crates below conveyor belts and then I start to "rewind" their movement, that is, I step each crate up and if it reaches it's target belt then I switch it to "not-falling" mode and move it out of the screen (left or right). I repeat this until all crates are non-falling and out of the screen.

The problem is, there's a possibility that some crate is non-falling and moving back on belt but there comes another crate from below that has the same target belt and they happen to want to occupy the same location on the belt. I don't want it, therefore I lower the colliding crate (the one that's still not-falling) and all the crates below on the same column. And because of this lowering, the crates tend to accumulate on one side of the screen. If you watch the last recording you'll see it clearly when I rewind the crates and then forward them again. There are long streams of crates first two or last two columns.

The algorithm is quite fascinating to watch but doesn't produce a fascinating gameplay.

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »

Day X+11: Fiddled with new crate generation algorithm.

Recorded dev session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53jWsvN14aA
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:28:07 PM by goshki » Logged

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »

Day X+12: Mostly tuned parameters of the new crate set generation algorithm. The initial crate falling speed, number of lanes and density of falling crates will be dependent on the current level.

I've also flipped game window dimensions, so now it's horizontal instead of portrait. This way I can fit more falling lanes on the screen without having to scale crates down. Also the problem of waiting for the first crates to reach the collectable area is gone. A crates takes only three steps before it becomes collectable.

Recorded dev session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_YIrTnXDV4
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:28:52 PM by goshki » Logged

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »

Day X+13: Day two of tuning starting level parameters. Mostly trial and error. On each level the player has to collect a given number of crates and the plan is to choose the number so that on each level player spends roughly two minutes (considering other parameters, i.e. tick interval, crate fall probability and number of lanes). I'm almost there so I'll leave it as it is.

Recorded dev session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i0MtNWKWuQ
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:34:46 PM by goshki » Logged

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »

Crate job so far.  Keep going!

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »

Crate job so far.  Keep going!

Thanks! :D

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »

Day X+14: Refactored second prototype into proper game entites.

Recorded dev session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4JmSVBniw

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:28 AM »

Day X+15: Added demo mode on the menu screen and detection of crate collection/drop in regular play.

Recorded dev session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0hIWnx1vk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:16:36 PM by goshki » Logged

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »

Day X+16: Added score and "crates left" labels, started adding lives.

Recorded dev session is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruK7tYR0Fh0

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:36 AM »

Howdy! Crate Collector is not dead! It was in a hiatus for a month and a half but now it's back right on track. Below is a summary of the last half of month of work.

Day X+17 (2013-06-11): Fixed a bug that caused the game to stop responding to touches after pressing BACK on logo screen. Removed white line visible on the right side on some devices (e.g. Nexus 4 that has on-screen system keys).

Day X+18 (2013-06-12): Fixed a bug that caused the "TOUCH TO START" label to be added multiple times on the title screen.

Day X+19 (2013-06-18): Added collection time tracking and a score multiplier that is increased when crates are collected quickly. When a crate waits too long for a collection, the multiplier is reduced to x1.

Day X+20 (2013-06-20): Added animated slots at the bottom of each column that has to be opened (by tapping) to collect a crate. Modified the score multiplier logic so the multiplier is persisted between levels.

Day X+21 (2013-06-24): Made slot animation times dependent on tick interval. Added slot open time tracking so the player can open the slot a little bit earlier than the crate falls and still receive a score multiplier increase. Made score multiplier be reduced by half (but never less than x1). Added slow collection tracking - if the player collects crates too slowly (or too chaotically), they loose a life (a life loss risk is indicated by blinking of a right-most life icon).

Day X+22 (2013-06-25): Added automatic collection of all the crates that are collectable when the player looses a life. No score is awarded for those crates.

Day X+23 (2013-06-26): Fixed the score multiplier label to always show a value rounded to one decimal place. Added a grace time after score multiplier reduction. Score multiplier can be reduced once every three seconds. Fixed a bug that caused level to not be reset after returning to menu.

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »

Day X+27 (yesterday): Began working on level completion animation. Added detection of crates that should be automatically collected (basically all the crates that are still falling when target crate number is reached).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:33:06 PM by goshki » Logged

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

Day X+28: Added automatic collection of all crates that are still falling when the level is completed. Extra points are awarded but there should be some more explicit visual indicator that the player earns extra points.

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »

Day X+29: Made score multiplier rounded to an integer and increased every 5 PERFECY collections (and it's decreased by one in case of late collection). Made score multiplier label pulse when it gets increased. Added yellow markers over each slot and made them blink when with tick intervals. Tuned lane number calculation (now a new lane is added every five levels).

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »

Day X+30 (yesterday): Fixed the algorithm calculating the number of columns for a given level. Had to use FooPlot to visualize an off-by-one error. Also started working on Google Play Game Services integration.

darkhog
Level 2

The eye of the truth...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:56 AM »

I think you should change name. Crate Collector sounds bit generic. How about "Crate Master" - IMO sounds better. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'll certainly get this if available for PC.

Eat candy in Candy Man Saga
I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.
There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic