Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:12:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessStores next to Steam
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Stores next to Steam  (Read 7337 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »

In case you have experience with Desura tell me the pros/cons you see with that system compared to Steam.

Your experience with that very welcomed.

Update:
Here is some information about various services from someone:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RebeccaFernandez/20121115/181717/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:36:23 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Uykered
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »

Steam has 100000% more users
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »

Seemingly much less market share.
Software only on Windows.
500 USD minimum payouts (not sure what Steam has)
No services like leader boards, and so forth that I know of.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »

Does Desura/its clients look at Steam as its enemy? I mean if I go on IndieDB and make advertisement by a steam-greenlight trailer, do they feel offended.

I have also not found a single word about Desura's business model. What cut do they take? Are there any up-front costs? Stuff like that.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »

Standard 30% that is pretty industry wide.
No upfront fees.
Are tied in with the IndieRoyal bundle people.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »

Why would you ever have to choose anyway? Steam and desura both permit sale on other platform (each other) so there's no harm or loss in always trying to sell on both

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »

Yeah, just do both. Personally, I don't like Steam because there's nothing I like there.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:29:36 PM »

Desura, Impulse Disappoint

Desura and Impulse barely register on the above charts, and their combined total was under $1000. Had players not been able to buy the game on GOG or Steam instead, I suspect sales on these platforms would have been higher. I know some developers have made good sales with these platforms, so I wouldn't write them off entirely, but our experience wasn't particularly lucrative.

This is interesting..

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »

Desura may be not worth your time. Better spend it on marketing your own direct sales -- less dilution and more long-term gains.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Ant
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »

Is that standard for the other sites too, gog, gamersgate, humble store, etc? Tried searching but finding out what cut these services take seems to be spy level secrecy.

//edit
according to this the humble store is 5%
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:14:22 AM by caiys » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »

I asked them about their business-model and their relation to steam. Here is a reply.

/////////////////
Hey there happy to answer your questions.

No costs to publish, there is a fee for direct deposits on payday but you can use PayPal instead and avoid it.
We work on rev share of 30/70 for direct Desura sales and 15/85 for referral sales.
We are not competing with Steam in that sort of regard (however I like to think we could take them in a sword fight any day of the week), so feel free to use IndieDB to get greenlight press.
/////////////////

To boost steam-attention I would like to use one and the same steam-greenlight trailer from one youtube-source for every platform, means also on Desura's page itself. I think that would be problematic for them to accept it. But then looking through some games I see that they are using their own space for trailer-vids anyway, I haven't seen anyone to link their trailer there from one source like youtube yet, unlike some do on steam-greenlight.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 05:52:05 AM »

It's pretty easy to integrate a game into the Desura client so there's no reason not to put your game on the service. The sales aren't as high as Steam, but they run the Indie Royale bundle so that's another plus to Desura if you're looking to get into that bundle. You should aim to get on both services really, and any other service you can for that matter, there's very little downside to being on multiple services.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:07:40 AM »

Sounds good. I am also awaiting an answer about what is involved to get it on GOG's service. The guys will respond soonish so I will see.

Now here is a theory I think about: A single video with more clicks might generate more traffic than multiple vids with a shared amount of clicks. So I would want to link the same youtube-vid for Steam, Gog etc. Now if there stands "up-vote on steam greenlight" at the end it might be an insult on the Gog's service. So may be cutting out this sentence and offering a general vid so that it doesn't offend any company might be better. But then I need to inform about steam up-voting somehow. May be if I add some bracket on the vids title like this: TrapThem - Trailer (now also on Steam- Greenlight) will do the job.

Let me know how you feel about this.

Here is a also a thought about the pricing. I wonder if it makes sense to price the game higher on desura than on steam. I mean I expect much less sales on desura than on steam anyway but it is possible that the audience on desura is more hardcore/dedicated. Just a thought, I don't know how the reality is looking like yet, so I appreciate your opinion/estimation on that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:17:29 AM by J-Snake » Logged

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:35:02 AM »

Is that standard for the other sites too, gog, gamersgate, humble store, etc? Tried searching but finding out what cut these services take seems to be spy level secrecy.

//edit
according to this the humble store is 5%

Humble Store is essentially an e-commerce service. Desura is a portal. It's a big difference -- one is a payment processing solution for your website, the other is a distribution platform with its own audience.

30% is indeed the industry standard or actually the lowest you can expect. Many portals take more. For example: BigFish will take 60%-70%.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »

Here is a also a thought about the pricing. I wonder if it makes sense to price the game higher on desura than on steam. I mean I expect much less sales on desura than on steam anyway but it is possible that the audience on desura is more hardcore/dedicated. Just a thought, I don't know how the reality is looking like yet, so I appreciate your opinion/estimation on that.

don't do this

PrestonS
Level 0

I don't fucking know, I'm not clever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »

Why would you ever have to choose anyway? Steam and desura both permit sale on other platform (each other) so there's no harm or loss in always trying to sell on both

I completely agree with this, when looking for a platform to release content, why not use all your assets?

Uykered
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »

Some may be worth too much time/money for little in return, I think I remember people saying you get basically no sales on indievania.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 08:19:49 PM »

I recommend against the release it on every store idea. Many have next to zero sells, while almost all of them require custom assets, and when you go to release a patch or update, it can be a nightmare to have to update every distribution channel.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »

and when you go to release a patch or update, it can be a nightmare to have to update every distribution channel.
My game is very unlikely to need a patch, it is finished by release.

On desura they claim it is easy to update in case I want to do that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic