Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:23:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessStores next to Steam
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Stores next to Steam  (Read 7387 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 03:35:02 AM »

I recommend against the release it on every store idea. Many have next to zero sells, while almost all of them require custom assets, and when you go to release a patch or update, it can be a nightmare to have to update every distribution channel.

You mean that it's hard to automatize generating versions for each distribution channel?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 04:34:56 AM »

I recommend against the release it on every store idea. Many have next to zero sells, while almost all of them require custom assets, and when you go to release a patch or update, it can be a nightmare to have to update every distribution channel.
that's why you include an auto-updater in your game

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »

I mean that its just a pain. Bunches of the markets have their own installers you need to build, many you need to deliver builds via email to specific representatives. So you then end up needing to contact people, build new packages, etc, for outlets that aren't really generating any revenue.

An auto updater I do suppose would make this much easier. Though it seems like they have their own share of issues due to security settings on later versions of windows, let alone also on Mac and Linux. If anyone can show me a third party auto updater that is cross platform, handles all the various gotchas, and is secure I'd love to see it though.

Although there are also distribution channels which don't allow you to use any updater other than via their store.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »

then you set the game exe as your updater's exe and make the updater start the game

Conker534
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

I don't know anyone that uses Desura other than myself, and Ouren.
aheydeck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:36 AM »

It's more or less irrelevant to ask "should i release on steam or desura". If you have a good game, the odds are still against getting a steam release. Desura on the other hand, much easier to get a release on.

I've read on different places that Desura sales are quite low, so i don't know if i had extremely low expectations, but as far as Smooth Operators go on Desura - sales are well over my expectations.
Zenfar
Level 0

Developer, Code Monkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »

My game is very unlikely to need a patch, it is finished by release.

Don't taunt the software gods like this Mock Anger

Glen (@RealZenfar)
http://www.zenfar.com
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »

It's more or less irrelevant to ask "should i release on steam or desura". If you have a good game, the odds are still against getting a steam release. Desura on the other hand, much easier to get a release on.

Very easy on Desura, but you still have to go through acceptance before they'll publish you. Odds for getting on Steam? Very low until they change the system. After that it's anyone's guess since we have no idea what Newell is on about yet.

I've read on different places that Desura sales are quite low, so i don't know if i had extremely low expectations, but as far as Smooth Operators go on Desura - sales are well over my expectations.

Scott will tell you if you ask him: they mostly sell RPGs. Other genres not so much.

Sounds good. I am also awaiting an answer about what is involved to get it on GOG's service. The guys will respond soonish so I will see.

Let us know how that goes. They're very responsive (unlike GamersGate staff) but they're also somewhat narrow on what they want their store to sell. Good luck with that.

Here is a also a thought about the pricing. I wonder if it makes sense to price the game higher on desura than on steam.

No. But then you may never find out if you're not Greenlit. Good luck with that too.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »

Finishing the work on the trailer. Then we will see.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »

Do you think it would be less pirated if I try to go for steam only?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »

Do you think it would be less pirated if I try to go for steam only?
if it will be pirated then it's fine I think

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »

a) You'd be honoured if someone finds your game worth pirating.
b) You'd be honoured if someone finds your game worth putting on Steam.

Both will happen only on a slim chance, so... don't deny yourself any valid options.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Zenfar
Level 0

Developer, Code Monkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »

What about GOG.com ?

Glen (@RealZenfar)
http://www.zenfar.com
Benjamin385
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »

What about GOG.com ?

What about GOG?

Its awesome its! DRM Free! Not sure about the revenue split...

I possibly could find out.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 02:01:35 AM »

Gamersgate seems like a valid option as well. They have a few indie titles.

Yeah.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 02:34:31 AM »

Talking out of general ignorance here but... If it is financially feasible, using as many distribution platforms as possible serves a "social" purpose, that is, showing support for alternate platforms to avoid the very real possibility of one of them dominating the market and turning into the next evil monopolistic empire.

And any service that supports swordfighting as a conflict resolution method has my unwavering support.  Gentleman

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »

Here is some information about various services from someone:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RebeccaFernandez/20121115/181717/

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »

No. But then you may never find out if you're not Greenlit. Good luck with that too.

Simply putting your game on Greenlight now, long after the initial launch excitement, seems like an admission of failure, an acceptance that it isn't going to get on Steam.

If you game is 'Steam-worthy', whatever that means, then it's more likely to get directly onto Steam, bypassing Greenlight. But this seemingly takes, as well as a good game, a mix of marketing/publicity, networking, and a shitload of sheer luck...

I don't think I'd ever develop a PC-based indie game with the aim of making money from it whilst Valve has it's current policies and such a stranglehold on the market. You can't base a business model around praying that Valve will let you in.

Maybe Microsoft's Win8 store may become more significant in the future, though - a more open platform to put PC indie games on, that will come pre-installed on all new PCs?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:42:25 PM by bluescrn » Logged

motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »

Being on Steam for PC/Mac/Linux is everything. A good idea to distribute through every single worthy digital distributor (Desura, Ubuntu Software Center, etc.). Direct sales are good too.

Most people want for your game to be Steam. Now that Steam is on Linux, having your game on other distribution platforms is more of a PR move.

I see people complain about Greenlight and Valve's policies, but devs forget that PC games is what people want to play when they buy on Steam. We are in 2013, 8 bit graphics belong to mobiles, NES, and direct sales. Masses, who play on Steam, want decent visuals. There are exceptions of course, but those exceptions happened when "indie" was something new. I dare to say 2010 is when it all began to fade away.

Valve have been in business for a looooong time. They know what can have potential and what will sink. After all, they need to make money.

Kot-in-Action Creative Artel
@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:26 AM »

Not sure, Anodyne got on Steam. It is about the game, not just about the graphics after all.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic