Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:18:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessStores next to Steam
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Stores next to Steam  (Read 7338 times)
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »

Or maybe it's just as random as the old Steam approval method? If your email hit the wrong guy who preferred other styles of games, or you hit him after a particular bad night with his newborn son constantly crying? Or you emailed him when they already settled two new games that week?

It's just humans.

That said: I played through all of Steel Storm on Steam, and I loved it. Shooting was fun.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley Maybe I should try resubmitting? Wink

I don't think GoG has as many people as Steam, who curate submissions. Also GoG might have a hairy hand of Venture Capital behind them, so they might not even decide what gets on GoG and what doesn't.

Kot-in-Action Creative Artel
@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
colinshark
Level 0

Greased Beast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

Desura is a bit rough to sell on. It doesn't get anywhere near the traffic of Steam. I actually have trouble finding people who know what it is.

I make Gimbal - Build Ships - Multiplayer - Physics
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »

Why Desura doesn't sell well? Because they don't put as much effort into that. Steam has all kind of promotions, sales, bundles, events, etc. Desura only created delivery method using  Moddb/IndieDb platforms as its foundation. It's a royal pain to post news because Desura feels like not only it has to moderate it, but also they decide whether a news post developer made is worthy to be public. So if I make an announcement without any new art, the news get archived and never reach my users. While on Steam I have forum/discussion board and group where I post what I please and in any format I please. Now I don't even have to deal with techs to release updates for my game.

From user's point of view, why would you buy a game on Desura? It seems that if a game is good and isn't on Steam (alpha funded games mostly), people buy it on Desura, then as soon as it hits Steam they ask devs to give them Steam keys.

Not to mention that Desura doesn't have any achievements, leaderboards, friends, cloud storage, etc.

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »

Gog:
"
Hi J-Snake,

Thanks for that.

We’ve taken a look at TrapThem, looks like an smart puzzle game with some interesting mechanics!

Unfortunately, however, we feel that the game would not be a good fit for GOG as we don’t think that it will have much sales potential on our site.

Additionally we have a very busy upcoming release schedule with many great games already waiting for release.

For these reasons I’m afraid we will have to pass on TrapThem.

If you have any other games in the future that might be a better fit for GOG, please let us know, and hopefully we’ll be able to work together."

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »

What is "better fit" ? I suspect a game that sold in the millions :/

GoG is about $$$ (like anyone in the business), not about games and devs.

The best options are Desura (some visibility, low sales), Ubuntu Software Center (Linux only, but much better sales than Desura), Steam (hard to get into if you aren't already there, but it's where you have to be) and direct sales (sales a bit better than on Desura, requires a lot of PR effort, requires secure e-shop with SSL certificate). Those are for Win/Mac/Linux.

There are probably more options, but I was in luck with only those 4.

Also try bundles (not as popular as they used to be) only if they offer equal cut.

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

If more stores act like gog, one should not wonder why many escape to polluted mobile-games space.

The next step is actually Desura, they found it pretty cool and want to publish it now.

I have also requested gamersgate and awaiting an answer. Unfortunately I have sent them a copy of my game where the intro-scene and the control-options design isn't very polished. I have polished it up now and send them the refined version. I hope it will be for the better.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

I found GamersGate less efficient and useful than Desura. Sometimes Desura would payout funds, even if the amount is lesser than minimum amount defined in the agreement. GamersGate would never do that :/ They don't do any promotions, any specials, nothing. The whole team works somewhere else and GamersGate is their side gig (I got strong impression of that). But, I suppose it doesn't hurt to diversify. Just royal pita to keep up with packaging and updates for various distributors.

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »

Considering contacting WildTangentGames next. Don't know if you know something about them.

motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »

No, never contacted them. Didn't even know they distribute digitally downloadable games for PC o.O Please keep us posted about WildTangent.

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »

This is where I found some information about it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RebeccaFernandez/20121115/181717/

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »

the two things I see that can get trap them rejected are:
1-weak graphics
2-XNA (the worst problem, I think a lot of people will just not go through with the installation)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »

While awaiting answers from gamersgate I am considering to contact Gamestreamer next.

motorsep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2013, 08:48:46 PM »

1-weak graphics

Wait, I thought graphics don't matter Wink

@motorsep
@phaeton_game
website
YouTube
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2013, 06:11:02 AM »

Wait, I thought graphics don't matter Wink
Bad assumption. Graphics definitely matter...
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »

2-XNA (the worst problem, I think a lot of people will just not go through with the installation)
I have seen xna games like Bastion and Magicka on various portals now. So not sure xna is a problem.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic