Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:03:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHave you ever exhibited at PAX Prime? If so, how much?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Have you ever exhibited at PAX Prime? If so, how much?  (Read 11268 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »

I'm thinking it would be awesome to show Kingdoms Rise at PAX prime this year, but i have no idea how much money that would cost.

Has anyone here exhibited games there? If so, what did you pay for an exhibitor stand?

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »

Try to get into the indie mega booth, probably the biggest bang for your buck, otherwise, I'm not sure they haven't announced the prices yet.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

The indie megabooth is only a part of PAX East IFAIK (which has already passed for this year)
the reason I'm asking this question is because they never will release the prices of exhibiting at pax prime, the only way to know what each exhibitor paid for their spot is to ask

erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »

If you look at the about page it looks like there was an indie megabooth at PAX Prime in 2012.  So I imagine it would be back this year.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:43:43 PM by erik » Logged

Life Goes On - Use your dead bodies to solve puzzles and make progress.

Feedback Thread
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »

If you look at the about page it looks like there was an indie megabooth at PAX Prime in 2012.  So I imagine it would be back this year.

Even so, with "50+ developers" in the one "megabooth" I imagine it would be a terribly cramped way to exhibit, I still want to hear about prices for a proper dedicated exhibitor spot

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:53:22 AM »

Does anyone here know phil fish personally? I saw him exhibiting at pax in that documentary about fez and meat boy, get him to answer my question pliz, thanks.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »

Phil Fish didn't secure the deal for the PAX spot, that was Trap Door Games, http://www.trapdoorinc.com/#games

Or, just email the PAX organizers directly, you would have to if you wanted space, so might as well get the ball rollin'

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »

Phil Fish didn't secure the deal for the PAX spot, that was Trap Door Games, http://www.trapdoorinc.com/#games

Or, just email the PAX organizers directly, you would have to if you wanted space, so might as well get the ball rollin'

Yeah, I've already emailed them days ago, I've still got no reply, that's why I'm asking here in the meantime

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »

The Indie Mega Booth does exhibit at PAX Prime, as Eric said. In terms of space, it's no different than a normal exhibitor's space; the only difference is that all of your neighbors are other indie devs and there are some space-wide Mega Booth marketing materials as well. There is a slight price break for exhibiting with the IMB, but this last show it was too big to get any sponsorships which is where the huge savings can occur.

The smallest space you can get is a 10x10; the prices vary show to show, but expect it to be $1600-$2000 for the space. Unfortunately, that is only the beginning of the costs. Rentals for TVs, tables, chairs, etc. are really expensive. Shipping your own stuff and paying drayage fees is also expensive, so if you can hand carry your own stuff that's the best way to save money. The electricity will run you $100 for the minimum and goes up from there. Hopefully you don't require internet, because getting a line to your booth can be more expensive than the booth itself. (The building wi-fi is basically unusable during the show.)

So if you can bring your own TV/stand and can get by with the bare minimum they provide, you can probably just spend about $2200 for a 10x10. Not sure if you want to print a banner, info cards, buttons, or whatever, but if you do, this thread has some useful details in it.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »

The Indie Mega Booth does exhibit at PAX Prime, as Eric said. In terms of space, it's no different than a normal exhibitor's space; the only difference is that all of your neighbors are other indie devs and there are some space-wide Mega Booth marketing materials as well. There is a slight price break for exhibiting with the IMB, but this last show it was too big to get any sponsorships which is where the huge savings can occur.

The smallest space you can get is a 10x10; the prices vary show to show, but expect it to be $1600-$2000 for the space. Unfortunately, that is only the beginning of the costs. Rentals for TVs, tables, chairs, etc. are really expensive. Shipping your own stuff and paying drayage fees is also expensive, so if you can hand carry your own stuff that's the best way to save money. The electricity will run you $100 for the minimum and goes up from there. Hopefully you don't require internet, because getting a line to your booth can be more expensive than the booth itself. (The building wi-fi is basically unusable during the show.)

So if you can bring your own TV/stand and can get by with the bare minimum they provide, you can probably just spend about $2200 for a 10x10. Not sure if you want to print a banner, info cards, buttons, or whatever, but if you do, this thread has some useful details in it.

OK cool, well if that's the case I'll definitely ask about the indie booth (if PAX get back to me) About 2k is what I was expecting a booth to cost i guess.

Out of curiosity, are you speaking from experience when you are saying these figures? Or that's what you've heard from other people who have exhibited?

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »

Exhibited at PAX Prime last year and PAX East this year.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:04 AM »

That's cool, did you think it was worth the money? exhibiting?
As I've never had the opportunity to exhibit at a trade show before I'm kind of skeptical as to how effective it is and if it would bring enough of a benefit to warrant all the money?

Also, what game(s) did you show?

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »

We showed Delver's Drop both times - the first time it was a very limited tech demo and this past event we had more of a polished vertical slice. It was definitely worth it for us: almost all of the press coverage and contacts we have originated from the expo so we would not be where we are right now without it. In terms of building up a direct fanbase with expo goers, we had about 4000 total newsletter sign ups (1000 from Prime, 3000 from East) which I think is pretty good for a small booth of a relatively unknown game.

Zenfar
Level 0

Developer, Code Monkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Did you contact PAX directly to get space at the Indie Mega-Booth?

Glen (@RealZenfar)
http://www.zenfar.com
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

No, the mega-booth is its own separate thing. I usually just direct folks who are interested to Kelly (the organizer/manager), but as of 5 minutes ago there is an actual email for dev inquiries: [email protected]
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 04:04:59 AM »

Wow! 4000 newsletter signups!? that's amazing, I think getting a following like that would easily be worth the money.

Also, thank you for the email, I just sent a message to it! (hopefully I hear back from this one Tongue)

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:44 AM »

No, the mega-booth is its own separate thing. I usually just direct folks who are interested to Kelly (the organizer/manager), but as of 5 minutes ago there is an actual email for dev inquiries: [email protected]

Turns out your mate Kelly is actually the person on the other end of that email, and he's already responded!

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 07:09:14 AM »

Kelly is a she just FYI  Grin But glad she got back to ya so quick. See ya at Prime Smiley
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:37 AM »

Sad
I finally got a reply for the main PAX guys, they told me all the exhibitor stands are sold out already.

I'm still talking with Kelly about getting into the indie megabooth, but she said they already have more applicants than places, so I'm starting to think I'm going to miss out on everything this year Sad

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:35 AM »

Well... I'm digging up this thread to have a cry that I was just rejected from being part of the PAX Prime indie megabooth as well as rejected from the PAX Aus indie booth

Guess I'm not going anywhere this year...  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic