Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999707 Posts in 39242 Topics- by 30653 Members - Latest Member: alexscottheath

April 24, 2014, 09:01:30 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeDesignSingle Button Combat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Single Button Combat  (Read 1368 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone can think of a game that had really good combat, but it didn't have a jump button, just a melee attack. I am thinking along the lines of left and right movement, and an attack.

Conker
BANNED!
Level 10

ya ya ya. ッ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »

uhhh I remember an iPod game about Zombies was like that, and it was pretty fun. I can't remember the name though.

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

DiveKick

okay you can jump, but whatever look that game

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:28:53 AM »

Thanks guys. Originally I was thinking left and right and attack, but now I wonder if maybe doing two different moves might be better. After seeing dive kick it has really got me thinking. I basically was thinking about dark souls and wondering about translating that combat to an touchscreen. I was reading about dark souls on my ipad hence the wondering. I don't really have any intention of making it, this is more of a design exercise. I think possibly doing a combination of shield and sword could work. I am trying to find stuff for the original prince of Persia classic. That had the similar combat. I wonder if you could do something similar to that, or even sword and sworcery for the ipad.

FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

Two games come to mind. I remember first reading about Capybara's Pillowfight in a postmortem of some sort. I know longer have the handset for which it was designed. But I remember it being a surprisingly deep fighting game with very limited inputs.

The other (shameless plug) is the Dragon Age Legends Remix that I produced with Pixelante (of Hunted Forever/Pixel Legions). Our goal was to make a one button side scroller with a combat system that had a decent amount of complexity. I've worked on a lot of games and it's one of the ones I'm most proud of because of the one button combat system.

z84c00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »

Have a look at some old commodore 64 games. IK+ comes to mind as one of the better examples. Yie Ar Kung Fu is another one. There's an awful lot you can do with a single button in combination with the joystick.

-Z8
eaz
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »

Fastar! for iOS
You tilt the device to move left or right. Tap to attack.

Here is a video of the combat in action:
http://youtu.be/-ujCKmZL_9M?t=24s

Screenshot:
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »

wow guys thanks for the responses. So I have been playing with this and I have a move left and right and a sword button. Combat Wise I was thinking of doing something where instead of just hacking its looking for the correct time to attack the enemy. So I have a sword button that tapping will slash, and a holding will use a block. I am thinking that perhaps enemies will run at you and slash, you can block them but also parry their attacks by hitting it with your sword. I am also thinking that maybe projectiles can be blocked, but some magic ones can be countered back at the enemy with a parry

Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:34 AM »

have you looked at slayin? https://itunes.apple.com/app/id548580856?mt=8

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »

yay slayin was one of the things I looked at. the combat is a bit hectic for what I wanted, but I felt the control layout was perfect. feels much better on iOS then the original flash version

Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »

wow guys thanks for the responses. So I have been playing with this and I have a move left and right and a sword button. Combat Wise I was thinking of doing something where instead of just hacking its looking for the correct time to attack the enemy. So I have a sword button that tapping will slash, and a holding will use a block. I am thinking that perhaps enemies will run at you and slash, you can block them but also parry their attacks by hitting it with your sword. I am also thinking that maybe projectiles can be blocked, but some magic ones can be countered back at the enemy with a parry

I love the idea of parrying.

Not sure if you've played the old Prince of Persia games. A block would prevent damage, but every hit blocked would knock you back a few steps... too many blocks would knock you off a ledge. So one of the finesse moves would be to hit the enemy at the same time the enemy tried to hit you. You'd then parry, which prevented damage but would also keep you from being knocked back.

The parry was a difficult skill to learn, but not mandatory for most of the game. It was still satisfying and still made the game easier to win once you've learned it, but the system was great in that it didn't force you to learn it.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »

yeah I have heard about that. I was thinking of using a block meter maybe. so as you took damage from blocks, or perhaps just by blocking it would drain. when its empty you can not sue it. the parry would not use this though

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic