Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411475 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:25:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsDaily HTML5 Games Tutorial Series
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Daily HTML5 Games Tutorial Series  (Read 3310 times)
Finnegan2100
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »

Hello everyone! I just wanted to let all of you know that I've started a series of DAILY HTML5 game development tutorials starting with the various functions of the <canvas> element and leading all the way up to advanced physics and the step-by-step creation of simple games. These are not engine-specific tutorials and require only a minimum understanding of HTML/CSS/Javascript to dive in. The only other requisite is a text editor.

I hope anyone who's interested will take the time to check them out!

Here's the link.
http://warmseaorchard.com/Lessons.html

Thanks!

Ben
@benwhi
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »

Why not embed the examples as actual HTML code instead of using crude ASCII graphics?

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:53:55 AM »

Why not embed the examples as actual HTML code instead of using crude ASCII graphics?
Truth here.

But thanks for the tutorials.

Yeah.
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 03:07:51 AM »

It *is* rather hard to read.  I don't agree with "embedding actual HTML", but it'd be a lot easier to read if the tutorial text was in a variable-width font and the code was in fixed-width, to separate them out if nothing else.
Finnegan2100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »

Hey guys! Thanks for the kind comments! Been super busy writing them (1 a day), so haven't had a lot of time to consider the formatting.

As of today Lesson #1 is in HTML with the code highlighted in light grey. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few more finished tonight and be caught up in a couple days. Thanks again for checking 'em, out!

Ben
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »

Ah yes, that is *way* better.
syawqy
Level 0

zzz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

wow, this is great!
can you add a working example of the code in every lesson? sorry if I'm asking too much, just wondering if it's possible
overall this is great, I hope you add more lessons in the future

Play my shmup ==>
Finnegan2100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »

Thanks a lot!

In the latest lesson (#14) we make a small mini game. The full code is listed at the beginning, then we pick it apart to see how it ticks. I try to include the code for everything we go over, but since we're starting completely from scratch and I don't want to exclude anyone with overly complex examples, these are often about 30-40 lines or so.

We'll be getting into more advanced game techniques (which means more code) over the next couple weeks. New tutorial every day!

Very happy you like them!

Ben
Finnegan2100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the great feedback on the tutorials!

Just wanted to let you know two things:

1. All 17 tutorials are now in a much more readable format. Originally I wrote these as txt files, but have finally gotten around to HTML-ifying them all, so if you were discouraged from reading a lesson because it was in txt, worry no more!

2. This evening I'll be putting up tutorial #18 which deals with bouncing objects off the borders of the canvas and introduces the technique of scrolling. New tutorials will be added on a weekly basis instead of daily, since I'm pretty busy working on a couple game projects. Might slip in a two-tutorial week here and there, though.

Thanks, and hope you'll enjoy the new tutorials!

Ben
ohok
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »

hey, these are really good and I appreciate you putting them up. please keep going, it's been a couple weeks now since the last update. you're doing good work!
Finnegan2100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

Thanks so much, Ohok! Yeah, I'm crunching to finish off two games by the end of the month, and have been only making small revisions on the older tuts here and there. Haven't forgotten about the project one bit, though Smiley Updates coming soon!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic