Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:15:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTIGS Game Club: System Shock 2
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: System Shock 2  (Read 3143 times)
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »

The easiest "class" to play as, in my opinion, is Navy, they're the jack of all trades, master of none. I think you're fine without PSI.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »

My only complaint about the game is that if you put your stats into stats X and Y, you find yourself getting screwed over later in the game because you didn't have any points or enough points in stat Z. If that made sense.

It makes total sense.  Loud and clear.

I still love its frantic'ness.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
D-TurboKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »

My only complaint about the game is that if you put your stats into stats X and Y, you find yourself getting screwed over later in the game because you didn't have any points or enough points in stat Z. If that made sense.
Yeah, you'll definitely be in trouble in some cases. Thankfully, I can still get enough points later, as long as I'm not TOO close to the end. If I didn't level up my research skills to use that great melee exotic weapon, I'd be in some SERIOUS trouble.

Speaking of exotic weapons, I found that one weapon that uses annelids for ammo to be far more trouble than it's worth.

I don't use Psi. Will that screw me over later?
Nope, I played the entire thing without ever investing in PSI powers. Only thing you have to make sure is that you're well stocked on ammo (especially anti-personnel ammo or whatever it's called, it's the red ones) BEFORE leaving the Von Braun.

Oh, and if you're worried about machines and such, invest on Energy Weapons. Once you max it out, you can use that sweet energy rifle, it's goddamn great. Just make sure it ain't made of flesh, or it'll barely do any damage.

solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »

I never played SS2 and if it's some sort of creepy version of Bioshock that's great news for me. I always thought Bioshock was a bit dull.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »

Doing a standard Navy run. I kind of want to experiment with some weird builds but I probably won't, as it'd take a while.
Got to med without too much effort but still a good solid challenge here and there.
It's been just long enough that my memories are fuzzy enough to surprise me with new stuff and still reward me for remembering details.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »

I started off with a standard navy run, but after my game crashed without me saving, I restarted with more of a psionic direction. I also would like to try and experiment with classes more, because I know once I'm done I won't feel like replaying for a while, but I'm too far developed to swap skills now. I was thinking of changing into a speedy, melee and heavy class, but I mostly did that in Bioshock, so I'm not too bothered.

I'm near the end of Recreational, and I'm excited to see what's next. The twist at lvl 4 was awesome. I love the story and character development, it' great. I also think System Shock 2's audio is its strongest point. Some of the most sublime sound design I've experienced.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »

I'm playing Navy but I still got stuck on a combat heavy part because I ran out of ammunition. I'm probably going to have to load a save and try and stock as much ammo as I can possibly find.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »

I finished it last night.  It was amazing how little of the game I remembered.  Essentially my memory was:
Medical -> Huh? -> Twist -> Huh? -> Fight Many -> Fight Final Boss

Here are my thoughts:

- The audio is fantastic.  Pretty much everything is telegraphed by noise and hearing the Many talk is just creepy as hell.  Similarly, hearing a protocol droid say hello to you when you are a melee heavy build causes you to find an escape route fast.

- The game is very uneven in its difficulty.  The beginning is very hard when all you have is access to a wrench (and a pistol that seems to degrade with every shot), but by the time you make it through engineering, the game becomes much easier.  Also, while I disliked how ubiquitous the respawn spots were in Bioshock, the uneven spacing of them in SS2 makes the beginning of every level a bit shitty, as it can really suck to die before you find one. 

- It's funny how telegraphed the twist is.  In Bioshock, I think it feels like a legitimate surprise, but in SS2, if you even halfway listen to what Xerxes says and know anything about SS1, you can pretty easily guess where the game is going.  Honestly, the twist makes very little sense and just seems more like a "cool" idea that Ken Levine had. Why then?  Why just keep going along with your puppetmaster after the reveal?  Of all of the ideas that got revisited in Bioshock, this is the one that Bioshock legitimately improved upon.

- The final third (? quarter?  everything in the Rickenbacker really) sucks.  The final bits are completely linear and feel rushed.  This is actually the biggest similarity with Bioshock 1.  Both hit their climax ~2 hours early and then just kind of mope on to the end.   

- The backtracking sucks too, as there's really no need for it.  Nothing new happens, hell, most enemies have already been cleared out of the areas you go back to (except for the respawns).  I mean, it was relatively quick and painless, but it was just tedious and unnecessary.

- Leveling up was annoying as it is pretty cryptic and until you get a feel for what enemies you are going to be facing, you have no idea if the decisions you are making are the correct ones.  The beginning "4 years" feels just like college.  You learn a bunch of random stuff and you have no idea what will actually be useful until you get into the real world.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »

I wish I could say I finished it.  This month has been nutso crazy with demands from outside.  I had so much paperwork, and things to file or mail, but it is totally over.  It should be; April is just about done.  I also invoiced my first bits of art for a puzzle book.

I see the little System Shock icon dead center on the desktop everyday.  Teasing.  And I totally intend to play more.

Knowing April is over and May is following so closely behind, I suggest another vote.  Another vote!!  Let's roll one out in May.  I am voting Resonance if the vote goes open.

ThunderMare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:54 AM »

One of the best games i've ever played. I remembered so little from it but now thanks to GOG I got to relive the experience.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »

Oh wow.. I just saw System Shock 2 on sale on.....  ..Steam.  Yup.  Now its even easier, not that it was tough before, but I guess more 'masses' easier to get your hands on it.  Well, virtual hands.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »

I'd be up for playing another game if someone else handles it.

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »

I could perhaps host it. I feel like playing another game as well.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic