Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 01:32:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs it wrong not wanting to make money from games dev?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Is it wrong not wanting to make money from games dev?  (Read 4543 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:17 AM »

I always thought that it would be cool to pay for a game after playing it.
demo version?

mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »

The question is, do you make a living from game development? if not, and you're just being a hobbyist, then not wanting to make money from game dev is just for you.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »

I don't really know where I fit in with freeware vs commercial. I've been "programming" for years in GameMaker using D&D, and I've made a few weekend projects, but now I'm working on my first full game that I'm planning to sell to pay for (at least part of) college costs. I kinda feel like I shouldn't be selling this game, since I'm no Notch, Jonathan Blow, or Phil Fish (lol). I'm not an amazing programmer, artist, or musician. I'm not even outta high school yet! Is this feeling normal(ish)?

Don't compare yourself to indies that have made it big. Skillsets vary wildly, I'd wager that their games are just as good as many other games that don't make money - they're just entrenched in the community (blow), extremely lucky (notch) or amazing marketers (fish) who additionally happen to make marketable games.

if you want to go commercial, go for it. only you can decide.

just know that by going commercial and wanting to make a living, there's a whole world of work you need to deal with: press releases, timing, marketing, building a fanbase throughout development. (you can't just release a game and expect it to sell, 99/100 times it won't).

well, you finished games so that's really good. now maybe try joining some communities and try to meet artists - you can probably get by with contracting out music (as much as I like music and write it for my own games, it's mostly an afterthought for most, most musicians aren't even considered co-creators of the game)

look at other indies who went commerical, see what they did for marketing. find what works for you, take risks, it's money so things are inherently risky...good luck!

play hydlide 2
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »

I don't really know where I fit in with freeware vs commercial. I've been "programming" for years in GameMaker using D&D, and I've made a few weekend projects, but now I'm working on my first full game that I'm planning to sell to pay for (at least part of) college costs. I kinda feel like I shouldn't be selling this game, since I'm no Notch, Jonathan Blow, or Phil Fish (lol). I'm not an amazing programmer, artist, or musician. I'm not even outta high school yet! Is this feeling normal(ish)?

that's kinda like saying 'i don't want to lift weights, i'm no arnold schwarzenegger'

there are about 10,000 commercial indie game developers; most of them are not as famous as the ones you named. you only hear about the millionaires and wild success stories, rather than the every day people doing it, so you shouldn't compare yourself to the few you have heard about

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 01:30:10 AM »

that's kinda like saying 'i don't want to lift weights, i'm no arnold schwarzenegger'

there are about 10,000 commercial indie game developers; most of them are not as famous as the ones you named. you only hear about the millionaires and wild success stories, rather than the every day people doing it, so you shouldn't compare yourself to the few you have heard about

Plus on top of that most of these guys have at least a decade of experience. So don't be so hard on yourself

Life sucks and then you die.
Barch
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

I just want some solid advice on when I should start charging for my games and when I should not. Also is it wrong not wanting to make money from games dev.?

You should take a few years off 4-5 just to experiment in your means of programming. Try to develop a sense of self-expression, become fast, efficient but most of all be truly yourself. Once you can do that through the acts of programming, art level design sound music (or get someone else to do it heh). . Should become much more easier forth. When you truly understand why you make games and the world around you congresses it, states from the world we will pay you.

so.. now when to charge..

perhaps it is a paradox of the world. It is not in ourselves who determines the profit of things but rather it is the crowds that choose to buy such items. You should state selling when you receive donations/ benefactors sponsors. When people (us) wish to support you (you).

The Barch jumps up to a platform

The Barch is here to deliver a warning young Benjamin385aone,

Have you heard the Squid? The mighty Cactus? http://cactusquid.com/games.htm Look at the dates of games released. Young Jonatan(Cactus) was a young child who, on a period of three months created various experiments which he in turned altered into games. Which doing so allowed him to develop a game style that wowed the community and made Paul Eres give something to think about while he stirred his tea.

From 2005-2009 this was Cactus's Teenage years - ie not needing to worry so much as a need to rely on money as a means to survival. Meaning that game development was literally an activity in itself. for in its own sake was its own reward, from you the doubt seems that you like cactus are in this stage.

Now as cactus grows up around 2009-2010 its starts slowing down. In 2008 18 games, 2009 4 games 2010 3 games 2011 3 games then nothing. The alteration of the soul the cactus had turned from freeware to casual. a vacuum was created of games but out of this wait -the depression and all other sick mentality’s bloomed Hotline Miami.

Essentially money had altered the movement of young baron cactus's soul - altered the great experimenter of the game maker. Money will change you. It will change how you develop It might limit your growth it might improve it in other areas who knows.
Now you like many of the hobbyist of hobs are on top of the sheer-mount point - a cliff descends below you. Should you choose to jump down expect you to not to become the experimenter but the preserver of one style - can you do that?

------------------------------------------------
Now from your friend it sounds like you have reached a banner of standard - a ability to create something good. But the roars of people have not met you yet. Of course the price gives an air of quality but that is not why we buy products. It is rather a wax that is on an apple giving it a shine that wears off when we find it is rotten.

it is wrong to expect money from the masses of crowds of those who do not expect to pay. But from those who wish to give you money as a way of rising you from the shackles chain of society to become the great wall of enlightenment and dopamine it is more so wrong not to.

abridged version make freeware games experiment under the no stress. repeat until people start giving you money/asking to/ or you get notorious. Then charge
PowRTocH
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »

He was actually in his early 20s around that time. I'm not going to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Hotline Miami was more a product of his disaffection with short-form games and wanting to focus on narrative.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic