Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:57:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPipe Works
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pipe Works  (Read 9721 times)
ninspriterx
Level 0

You can call me Nin.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »

DevLog 1: Hello, everyone. I'm new here at TIGs, although truthfully I was here before in amaeture search of a programmer. But the community offered here is overwhelming and I can't wait to become a bigger part of it. Making games was what I wanted to do since picking up an NES controller and playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time. Since the day I learned how to put them together, it was the only career I could envision myself enjoying for the rest of my life. Today I'm a college student with no direction but the ambition to indie-ly break into the industry. After putting together an extremely talented team, we realistically set our goals to dish out our first title.

presents:
Platforms: PC, Android, iOS.
Release Date: Early/Mid-Summer 2013

Pipe Works is a retro-esque arcade puzzle game with user-friendly yet unique gameplay yielding an up-beat though relaxing play-style.
The Pipe Works Family Company owner, Charles, has been kidnapped by the ghost of his old business partner, Marty, into the sewers of Blue Torch City. You guide his children Jim and Jane in Classic and Time-Attack modes (respectively) by rotating/switching pipes, avoiding enemies, and collecting gears and keys to make their way to the end of a wide assortment of levels.

features include:
  • Different playable characters()
  • Three different play-modes, respective to the characters (Classic, Time-Attack and Battle)
  • In-game store
  • Several different items and power-ups
  • Mini-games
  • Boss-fights!
  • Future planned free DLC
Twitter
Facebook
SoundCloud (OST here!!!)

Devlog 2: Progress and status
We're almost content complete, but it's considered that the engine is half the battle. We're currently working towards releasing a well presented 3-level tech demo that will go up on the soon to be website (hopefully by the end of this month).
I want to thank you all for checking us out and hope you enjoy our first title.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:34:32 PM by ninspriterx » Logged

Check out the dev log!
ninspriterx
Level 0

You can call me Nin.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »

(Incomplete artwork)
Battle Mode will stray from Pipe Work's traditional gameplay. Introducing simplified touch-joystick-controls, one can face up to three other players in a grand treasure fight.

Devlog 3: Some history on the project: Development started in September with three artists and one programmer. Only recently did the team add on one more artist and two more programmers. The game was created mainly with the ambition to actually finish a game. DSA founders Andrew and Sean were before too ambitious, taking on too large scale of projects and never coming close to finishing.
Careful research, planning, formulating and balancing was put into making sure this game would reach wide audiences while being produced under a tight time frame.

A side note reminder, Pipe Work's OST is gradually being uploaded onto it's SoundCloud account. There are currently four tracks available for listening, courtesy of composers Andrew and William.
On a status note I figured one cannot attract attention unless there's some kind of playable demo. Which makes sense so our three level tech demo is first priority (set for end April - early May). Though the demo won't be ready, next devlog may include a downloadable .exe file to explore the finished in-game store as well as completed artwork. In the mean time check out our main character's basic sprite sheet!

Jim - The star of Classic Mode
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:23:05 PM by ninspriterx » Logged

Check out the dev log!
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »

Looks beautiful! Good luck. Grin

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »

Congrats on the Venus Patrol appearance! It looks cool, I look forward to the demo. Smiley
ninspriterx
Level 0

You can call me Nin.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:07 PM »

//Demo in this post//
Devlog 4: Thanks, guys! (note to self, remember to update devlog.) A lot of news has hit the team recently; with 3 signed programmers, William taking over the whole soundtrack, and a special someone in charge of PR. DSA is going to take an over-summer polish for PW in hopes of releasing it sometime in August. We're also thinking of entering this game into the Indiecade festival..

SO PLAY TESTING, RIGHT? WHO WANTS TO TRY THE BUILD?  Hand Point Left try it out!
Basic functions, with no set objectives. Click to rotate. Watch out for enemies or catch them in traps: press space for mouse-traps, and enter for bear-traps. We'll definitely have a more polished and presentable tech-demo at the end of this month, along with our official website and a bunch of other cool stuff too!

See you then~

Check out the dev log!
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

Bummer about it being Windows only! I'll have to try it on my tower when I get home. Glad to see a demo exists though!
ninspriterx
Level 0

You can call me Nin.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »

Aw sorry about the Windows only, but I do have some good news about what's coming soon!

The Dream Show Adventures' and Pipe Works' official website, along with the 4-level demo is launching June 1st!
It will be downloadable for Windows, then Macs shortly after (if not the same day), and an .apk file will also be available for Android users. The demo will also be playable right on the game's site!

Until then enjoy this mock-up of the results screen:

We've also been hosting a cute little contest:

We need a name for the Level 2 - “Familiar Sewers” end boss. Best name gets a free copy of the game as well as a mention in the special thanks credits section when it comes out.

So if you haven't tried it out yet:
A basic build of Pipe Works is available to try out!
left click - rotate clockwise
right click - counter clockwise
space bar - deploy mouse traps
enter key - bear traps

See you soon!

Check out the dev log!
ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »

cool; couple of things i'd fix:

1. enemies take too long to disappear/die
2. no limit on traps; can spam them throughout the map (obviously not implemented yet)
3. buttons on the sides don't do anything yet (ditto)

i can see the potential though
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

Cool, going to try it out. Smiley
Rayiner
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »

Really addictive game! I see a big potential in it.
 Giggle
Shadow Kami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »

And PW's Head programmer here to show you guys we aren't dead or anything just been a bit busy on our ends. We don't have our demo done yet but we will have it done soon so keep an eye out for it.

Also we did do a little hud revamp/redesign so it's easier to access the items and such while not takign away from the rotation direction swappers

Complete_zero
Level 0

Don't kill me, living has become sort of a hobby.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »

I'm not sure. The boss looks as though his name would start with a letter such as, for example, G, R, or , possibly J. Rothmaw?

In any case, the game looks very cool,. I can't wait to play it, and I am definitley taking a look at the demo.
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »

Played the build and love it so far! Great soundtrack too

ninspriterx
Level 0

You can call me Nin.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »

Line-art for a promotional piece. Stay tuned to see the (already) finished product!! Wink

DON'T WORRY we're still alive. Really sorry I haven't posted much. A game dev is like a diary, which are special. There's been a slow down since school started, where unfortunately we had to rehash the engine in Haxe. The programmers we have left are trying their hardest to fit scripting into their schedules. We're really in need of someone who has the time and Haxe experience to help us get the train rolling.

But to keep things interested here's a select track from the Pipe Works' OST.
MUSIC: Mini-game Themes I-III

And lastly if you haven't seen it yet. In celebration of the soon to be release Super Mario 3D World, I sprited the cast in PW's pixel-art style:

Check out the dev log!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic