Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:47:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Dungeoning
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Dungeoning  (Read 24674 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 03:55:49 AM »

Point of order, but - while it's been a long time - I don't recall the original Rogue having classes either? Not so sure about levels...

There were definitely experience points and leveling in Rogue. Fair point about the classes. I'm just trying to figure out if this meets my definition of "RPG" for purposes of coverage on IndieRPGs.com. Smiley

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 04:07:29 AM »

Wow, simple yet very effective, I'm loving the various traps and enemies. Great work!
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »

Point of order, but - while it's been a long time - I don't recall the original Rogue having classes either? Not so sure about levels...

There were definitely experience points and leveling in Rogue. Fair point about the classes. I'm just trying to figure out if this meets my definition of "RPG" for purposes of coverage on IndieRPGs.com. Smiley

I've just recently been working on XP, the player will be able to spend it on levelling up the star if their choice. There are scroll items that when consumed level up a specific stat too, so you'll be able to build a strong magic character for example.

Twitter: @nickd3000 - Mos Speedrun 2 - Physmo.com - The Dungeoning
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »

Here we are! Smiley

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »

Very nice, thanks! Smiley

Incidentally, the videos are in development snapshots so the level generator is spawning stuff for me to test, not necessarily in the density or order they'll appear in the final game.

benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »

I initially made a post about how this appeared to  be super-similar to an in-development game from Physmo before I realized that, yeah, this is that game. I've been following this via Physmo's twitter account for a while and I'm pretty excited for it.
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »

I did some work on the lighting system for the game, the picture shows the old version compared to the new smoother version, I think it's pretty nice.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:32 AM »

It's very nice, but can I suggest a modification? Currently, it looks a little too soft. I think it evokes sitting next to a campfire more than doom and gloom. If you want a warlike atmosphere for your game, make the color a little harsher. Keep the lighting so that it is smooth like that, but change the color to a more harsh color. Thanks for listening.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

I've been working hard and have a big changelist since the last video I posted, so here is a new gameplay video...

It goes pretty well up until the end where I forgot to cautiously descend...  Cry

Amongst a lot of minor changes I've made improvements to the lighting system, stats, and menus.  Rings now have a full compliment of effects, entities can be poisoned etc. A new intro screen with over the top shiny text. Fall damage. Bows now consume arrows. Equipped items are highlighted, equipped weapons shown in-game. The map has been improved, scrolls now improve stats, smoke looks a bit better.

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

I have a new WIP video for you to check out,  this one contains a lot of features I just coded including:
New enemies
Procedurally generated music (a work in progress)
New magic and weapon types
Secret rooms (become visible when you go into them)
Spending XP to increase stats
Recovery items to heal fire and poisoned states
.. and DEADLY FLYING CRABS (not shown in video, I couldn't find any Sad )
[just noticed the music stops in the menu, sorry about that]

Check out the video, I hope you like it! :D

psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »

Looks like there's a lot of poison in the game!  Smiley  I notice that when you access your inventory, you have several different wands, but maybe not a way to tell how each one is different.  Do they each have a separate purpose, or do you merely collect increasingly powerful wands throughout the game?

Hey, if you wave your sword at a flame, it should put it out briefly so that you can cross safely, huh?  Maybe.  Smiley

I like the secret rooms.  Having surprise enemies in there feels a little bit unfair to me... you got burned by the one fireball guy that one time.  Have you any plan to balance that out, possibly by adding subtle environmental clues, or anything like that?  Oh, and would those enemies in the secret rooms shoot fireballs (and such) at you even while "hidden?"  That would actually help the player to find some of the secret rooms, if they saw fireballs shooting out of the wall, huh?  Smiley

I like the music, although it sounds a little closer to "you just saved the princess" than "a horde of monsters is trying to kill you" to me.  Wink  When you call it "procedurally generated," do you mean that it maintains a constant "mood" using randomized riff sequences, or do you mean that it would change it response to how your game is going?  Toward the end of the video you suffered some very serious damage against a number of enemies.  I thought perhaps the music would become exceedingly somber and morose in response, but I don't think it shifted like that.

It still looks pretty cool to me.  Keep up the nice work.  Smiley
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback!
I just added a lot of that stuff on the day I recorded the the video so I haven't had much time to tweak and test it yet.
The different wands have different effects and power, for instance the fire wand inflicts fire damage. I have myself all of them to test but you would normally find them through the game. Increasing your magic stat will improve your wand power as well.
Good point about enemies in hidden rooms, I need to not spawn any in them I guess but I can't prevent them from wandering in Wink I think I'll make it more likely to find item chests in those hidden areas.
The music is in a very early stage, just coded it on the day there. It's totally generated algorithmically and the plan is to have it change key, pace and instruments based on what is happening in the game, I quite like it so far.

Cheers!

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »

Some new development pics:

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »

Hey folks, I've recorded a decent sized playthrough video showing some new tweaks and features. The most different looking thing is that I've done some work on the lighting system to add some overblown light halos (I'm still tweaking this). I modified the ladder behaviour so that you can hold down+jump when attached to a ladder to slide down quickly, it's fun.
I added a system to stop the enemies flicking back and forward too quickly when they are underneath you too as that was annoying me.
In the background I wrote a save manager to record some small amount of info like total game time played, farthest level reached etc, and key remappings.
Some big tasks I have still left on the list are key remapping, end game, line of sight system for enemies and NG+
I'm really happy with how it is coming along so far, it's a lot of fun to play/test Smiley

I've started off a blog on Wordpress that i'll keep updated with latest videos and purchase information when the time comes:
http://thedungeoning.wordpress.com/

Here's that video:

Cheers!

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 06:32:23 AM »

Still working hard on this game. It's feeling really nice now, and I'm starting to think about releasing a demo. Maybe.

Anyway, here are some newish pictures of how things are looking:

Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »

Looks great! I love the lighting.

I'll be following this closely!

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »

releasing a demo.

Beg Do it!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:35 AM »

I liked the blocky light from the previous version. It gave the game a different look from other games, and it gave a more "pixel" style. But I must admit that the new lighting looks also very good (but I've seen other games with this light style).

I know that this is work in progress, but I will tell what I would expect Smiley

I would put something to let the player know when a rock can fall, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tTGfcmMFT80#t=76s

How important is the map in the game ? I think that it is too small. Perhaps having a key to expand to something bigger would be nice. And I would only draw the parts of the corridor, without the surrounding square.

It looks pretty cool. Keep on with this good work.

Are you using your own custom engine ? 
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 02:52:31 AM »

ALPHA DEMO NOW AVAILABLE!

Follow the link above to download the new alpha demo of The Dungeoning, it should work on Windows and OSX.
(It also supports an XBox controller on windows, I havent tested that on Mac)

Hope you enjoy it, let me know what you think Smiley

Nick

jonny2027
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »

Amazing, just downloading it now   My Word!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic