Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1027899 Posts in 41251 Topics- by 32872 Members - Latest Member: Rayvolution

July 29, 2014, 12:53:17 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsThe Dungeoning
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Dungeoning  (Read 13695 times)
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »

New Dev Video

Just a little update. I've uploaded a new work in progress video, with a few minutes of game play over a couple of procedurally generated levels.  I've recently been working on player stats, wearable rings that give player ability  buffs, destructible objects, menu functionality and a few other things.
It's still work in progress so there will be a lot of refinement to level generation, graphics and sound. (sorry there's no music yet).
Also, the wand I collect about half way through is way too powerful at the moment and makes it look a bit easy.

Youtube video

Twitter: @nickd3000
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

Does this game have classes or leveling? Or are you just using "roguelike" to denote "procedurally generated levels and permadeath"?

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »

Does this game have classes or leveling? Or are you just using "roguelike" to denote "procedurally generated levels and permadeath"?

There will be levelling up, class will be denoted by the stats allotted to the player at the start of a run. Individual stats can be increased and various items provide status effects, boosts and buffs.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

Point of order, but - while it's been a long time - I don't recall the original Rogue having classes either? Not so sure about levels... the main difference I notice between this and my conception of a 'roguelike' is that this is real-time combat rather than the step-by-step stuff you get in most roguelikes. But then, the definition seems to be changing anyway.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:56 AM »

Lets just say, I know what a roguelike is and I know that I am abusing the term when I say this game is going to be a roguelike, but it's a useful description nonetheless. I want to make it a fun game and hope rogue purists will forgive me :D

<3 @ "

Nick

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 03:55:49 AM »

Point of order, but - while it's been a long time - I don't recall the original Rogue having classes either? Not so sure about levels...

There were definitely experience points and leveling in Rogue. Fair point about the classes. I'm just trying to figure out if this meets my definition of "RPG" for purposes of coverage on IndieRPGs.com. Smiley

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 04:07:29 AM »

Wow, simple yet very effective, I'm loving the various traps and enemies. Great work!

Soundcloud | Twitter

Freelance Music Composer, hit me up!

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »

Point of order, but - while it's been a long time - I don't recall the original Rogue having classes either? Not so sure about levels...

There were definitely experience points and leveling in Rogue. Fair point about the classes. I'm just trying to figure out if this meets my definition of "RPG" for purposes of coverage on IndieRPGs.com. Smiley

I've just recently been working on XP, the player will be able to spend it on levelling up the star if their choice. There are scroll items that when consumed level up a specific stat too, so you'll be able to build a strong magic character for example.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »

Here we are! Smiley

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »

Very nice, thanks! Smiley

Incidentally, the videos are in development snapshots so the level generator is spawning stuff for me to test, not necessarily in the density or order they'll appear in the final game.

benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »

I initially made a post about how this appeared to  be super-similar to an in-development game from Physmo before I realized that, yeah, this is that game. I've been following this via Physmo's twitter account for a while and I'm pretty excited for it.
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »

I did some work on the lighting system for the game, the picture shows the old version compared to the new smoother version, I think it's pretty nice.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:32 AM »

It's very nice, but can I suggest a modification? Currently, it looks a little too soft. I think it evokes sitting next to a campfire more than doom and gloom. If you want a warlike atmosphere for your game, make the color a little harsher. Keep the lighting so that it is smooth like that, but change the color to a more harsh color. Thanks for listening.

Do I need a signature?
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

I've been working hard and have a big changelist since the last video I posted, so here is a new gameplay video...

It goes pretty well up until the end where I forgot to cautiously descend...  Cry

http://youtu.be/I6MN-iTNfDs

Amongst a lot of minor changes I've made improvements to the lighting system, stats, and menus.  Rings now have a full compliment of effects, entities can be poisoned etc. A new intro screen with over the top shiny text. Fall damage. Bows now consume arrows. Equipped items are highlighted, equipped weapons shown in-game. The map has been improved, scrolls now improve stats, smoke looks a bit better.

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

I have a new WIP video for you to check out,  this one contains a lot of features I just coded including:
New enemies
Procedurally generated music (a work in progress)
New magic and weapon types
Secret rooms (become visible when you go into them)
Spending XP to increase stats
Recovery items to heal fire and poisoned states
.. and DEADLY FLYING CRABS (not shown in video, I couldn't find any Sad )
[just noticed the music stops in the menu, sorry about that]

Check out the video, I hope you like it! :D

http://youtu.be/tTGfcmMFT80

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic