Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:47:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Trilby
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Trilby  (Read 103657 times)
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »

Portrait: -Kyn, others

Sprites:
Idle - Oracle, ElTipejoLoco, Soulliard, kyn
Walking- ArdentSideburn, Rostiger
Jumping- ArdentSideburn
Hurt -
Throwing -
Wall Grabbing-
Umbrella Swipe - ArdentSideburn
Floating with open umbrella - Goodbye
Flitting to the side -
Attacking by opening umbrella - ArdentSideburn
Using umbrella as taser - ArdentSideburn
Using umbrella as grappling hook - ArdentSideburn
Smoke Bomb -

Stats:
Trilby is very fast, and fairly acrobatic. His attacks are quick, though not terribly powerful. He is able to jump off walls.

Move List:
A - Umbrella Strike - A quick swipe.

>A - Flit - Looks the same as in The Art of Theft, deals damage to anyone he flits past. Also steals their item.

^A - Float - Trilby opens his umbrella, attacking enemies above him. The umbrella also limits his terminal velocity.

vA - Umbrella Stab - Trilby stabs an opponent with his umbrella, then opens it.

S - Smoke Bomb - When you use it, you disappear, and then have a moment to press a direction. Then you reappear a set distance in that direction. Or, if you don't press a direction, you reappear where you used it.

>S - Tazer - Trilby tazes an enemy. This stuns them, leaving them open for another attack.

^S - Zip Line - Trilby fires his grolly straight up. Anyone caught in his way takes damage. He can use it to grab ledges.

vS - Thievery - Trilby counters an attack. The opponent can't use this attack again for a time.

I have a sprite from moi, which is really all I need to code him, and I'm about to start spriting his hit masks and coding his attacks and shit.

However, I'm not sure about his >S. It's basically Iji's special plus item steal, which he already has with flit. Also what about vA when he's in the air? Maybe pointing his umbrella downwards to impale peoples' skulls ala SkullPogo? (Without the bouncing, obviously). Finally, I haven't played Art of Theft yet, but what do people think of him having a sword umbrella, like Setsuka in Soul Calibur 3?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:53:44 PM by Soulliard » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:34:37 PM »

I don't think an umbrella sword is really necessary. It's a bit too flashy for Trilby, and it's not like he really needs any more moves.

I don't remember flit from The Art of Theft, but I didn't get very far. Can someone explain what it does in the original? Does it have to steal their item? Because if it didn't, then it would make Thievery more unique.

How will Zip Line work exactly? Does it pull you up only if there's a ledge above him? That would make a pretty bad recovery.

What will be the advantage of using Umbrella Shield as opposed to normal shield? Pushing enemies away seems like it wouldn't be very useful when Trilby has no projectile attacks.

How about this:
Av - Smoke Bomb. Creates a burst of smoke around Trilby that does minimal damage to the enemy but stuns them and confuses them by obscuring their character (if it's close enough).
Sv - Stealth. Works just like the Smoke Bomb described above, except without the smoke bomb. Instead, Trilby could fade out, or disappear in a smaller puff of smoke.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:40:54 PM »

Also as it stands he has no third jump. Float does just that, unless you want it to be like the parasol from Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (i.e. lifts you up when you open it) and zip line woud only work if you were under a ledge.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:40 AM »

I guess it would be fine if his A^ was his third jump instead of his S^. It would work like Peach's Parasol in SSB?

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »

What about a roll move?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »

Does he roll in the game? I don't remember.

DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 01:55:04 AM »

Zip line would only work if you were under a ledge.

The way I imagined it, it would fire straight across the stage to the very top, and then drop him on the first platform that would happen to be under him. I figured it wouldn't be too big an issue that he could cover that much space at once because the move would be very limited in that one could only hit whoever happened to be directly above him in the stage.

And no, I don't like the idea of the umbrella sword much. Seems extraneous and out of character.

Flit:

It should be a pretty simple sprite to animate, as Trilby himself doesn't move so much as just slide in a direction. Flit did not steal items, as Trilby did not pickpocket in the game. I think Flit should only deal damage as well, since Thievery will steal items.

He does roll in the game. I thought about that when I made the original list, but I didn't think it seemed "quick and stealthy" enough.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 02:37:04 AM »

Movelist sounds good. Keeps him Quick and Defensive, with a small number of agressive attacks.

Maybe the Zipline could fire at say, 65o to his person? I mean, if straight up disadvantages him. It could very well work, though. As for the Sword-Grolly? No. Seems a little wrong for Trilby.
shig
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 02:57:23 AM »

He doesn't really need a rolling move since he already has the smoke bomb teleport for doging stuff.

Also, no sword, please.

I don't like "thievery" very much actually, but I don't know what else could he have unless we gave him one more physical attack/umbrella swing.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 07:23:31 AM »

What will be the advantage of using Umbrella Shield as opposed to normal shield? Pushing enemies away seems like it wouldn't be very useful when Trilby has no projectile attacks.
It would be a combination of a shield and attacking, dealing some damage.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:45:42 AM »

Sugar Rush would be a cool move. Have like all his stats upped for a short period of time.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »

What I had in mind for flit was basically a teleport-dash, like him-streak-him in new location.
medieval
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:14:32 AM »

Smoke bomb basically does that.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 08:19:03 AM »

Yeah I know, but this does damage and there's a streak. Also you can only go left or right.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »

I would also imagine that Smoke Bomb is slower, and takes you further.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

Yahtzee sent me another email with some advice:
I became interested enough in the idea to investigate your forum, and I'm surprised by how much work has gone into it already. I admit I was dubious at first, it sounded like a typical case of big ideas on the internet with no actual product, but I'm convinced that it could go somewhere.

I noticed a sprite of Trilby in the Character Submissions thread, by Oracle. I understand how the game has its own visual style, but if it's not being too pushy I'd like to pass on a few pointers based on my vision of the character.

- The bright pinks and purples make him look a bit pimp-esque. In the games he always wore grey with a blue tie and umbrella. Of course, the brawl game seems to have a more vivid and colourful art direction, but I would suggest that Trilby be more suited to cooler colours, because they camouflage better in darkness.

- Trilby's skin is pale from a lot of night work and his face is rather thin and hollow, which is why he hid behind a mask for a lot of his work. His hair is longer than average, hanging over or tucked behind his ears, again because he relied on a mask to keep himself presentable.

I also notice you guys have got Cabadath in mind, too. I'd love to take a look at any art you have for him. And if you think of something for a stage location from one of my games I'd be happy to provide the original images.

-YZ

I do kind of agree that the purple/pink clothes were a little too pimpin'. The Trilby sprite is probably the most different from the source material.

But Rory, you say you have a different sprite from moi? Where is that?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »

I wasn't a huge fan of Oracle's sprite myself. Trilby is not a pimp. He's a gentleman.

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »

To tell you guys the truth, i had a couple of more "traditional coloured" Trilby sprites i guess i could look them up, tho, i took it as the sprite itself wasnt well received (shape, stance, etc) because it would be a bit silly to discard/hate it if its only based on the colour (basically pallette swaps could be done in like 1 minute in any paint aplication).
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »

I liked it
(well other than the fact that it was purple, anyway)
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »

It was not a bad sprite. I just don't think it fits Trilby so well. I don't think it captured Trilby's poise.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic