Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:08:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Trilby
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Trilby  (Read 103088 times)
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:49 PM »

I don't like the idea of the rug-pull at all. It just doesn't suit Trilby's feel. The rug pull was a once-off, in-context thing.
nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2010, 03:35:36 AM »

I don't like the idea of the rug-pull at all. It just doesn't suit Trilby's feel. The rug pull was a once-off, in-context thing.

Perhaps, but more obscure references have been used as moves for characters in games. Any form of a sort of 'launching' attack would be good, honestly.

As for Trilby... I think the umbrella-opening attack should probably hit twice if it doesn't already... once in the stab, another in the opening. If possible, what about being able to retract the umbrella without opening it, getting only the stab if I don't double tap the button (in other words, I want the umbrella opening to be manual -- d+A for the single stab, d+A,A for the stab and open)?

- n o t h i n g x s -
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2010, 02:02:42 AM »

That sounds good.

Also, what's wrong with the defensive move in the first place?
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »

Its hard to time right and I think it doesn't work well with attacks like Liero's flamethrower and the doomsday missiles.
Honestly, I think that temporarily disabling an attack that the enemy often uses is a great boon to Trilby but he could use another hard hitting attack so  Shrug
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »

Also, it's very confusing to the person affected, as it's not clear what exactly the move does.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 02, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »

I think the main problem with the rug move (other than the rug magically appearing out of nowhere) is readability. We'd have to make extra falling over animations for all the characters (I'll give you a hint: it's not going to happen), or it will look like the rug just throws them up with no rotation or anything. Well, that's what I think anyway.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 03, 2010, 12:38:41 AM »

Even if you managed to clearly convey that he was materialising a rug beneath their feet and then pulling it out, I think most players would be scratching their heads about why he would do that. Even if you'd played the game where he does that move, your reaction would probably be less "Oh, cool!" and more "Wait, is it supposed to be from that scene?"

I think his current defensive move is a cool idea, and it could be made less confusing with some graphical and sound cues. For example, a "didn't work" type sound effect that plays when they try to use the attack that has been 'stolen'.

Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:57 AM »

Yeah, dispelling the confusion does seem like the best option here. An "error" sign can also be put above their heads, maybe with a trilby watermark?
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 04, 2010, 06:36:34 AM »

Know this isn't from the games, but if you really wanted a readable defensive move other than thievery, why not just make a move where he just stands with his electric umbrella open, used as a shield for a duration of time?

Blocking weak projectile attacks entirely. Damaging him slightly when people use melee, and also damaging them (though they'd take less damage than he would.) When he puts it down the tazer has to automatically charge a few seconds in the background, so the blocking move can't be spammed. Sort of like the current block moves in smash bros.

nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 06, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »

I've a crazy, completely different idea entirely. Since we may at some point revisit the concept of blocking, why not just make him do something completely different -- such as set something on the ground as a trap?

- n o t h i n g x s -
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 06, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »

Well, blocking and countering are not the same thing, he can have both of them. But laying a trap is a good idea; although it doesn't come directly from the source, it would fit well with his character and his playing style.

nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 07, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »

Well, blocking and countering are not the same thing, he can have both of them. But laying a trap is a good idea; although it doesn't come directly from the source, it would fit well with his character and his playing style.

It'd be interesting if it was a stunning trap, too. Maybe a sort of shocking trap that shocks you in place like the taser, or launches you straight up if you're in 'cooldown' from having been tasered in a combo...?

- n o t h i n g x s -
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: March 15, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »

Here's an idea. Since Trilby doesn't have many "normal" attacks, we could eliminate Thievery (vS), make either Flit (>A), Float (^A) or Umbrella Stab (vA) special, and give Trilby a new "normal" attack.

For example, you could map Umbrella Stab to vS and give Trilby a new vA attack - he quickly strikes both in front of and behind him.

shig
« Reply #393 on: March 15, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »

Can't he have a hard-hitting attack? Not really HARD hitting, but, y'know, he'll have to knock people out of the ring eventually, and doing so with jab-like attacks is boring.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »

Absolutely. The Umbrella Stab fills that role, but it's a situational move, and more variety would be nice. I think Umbrella Float should be modified to make it a stronger, more viable launcher, too.

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 16, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »

Absolutely. The Umbrella Stab fills that role, but it's a situational move, and more variety would be nice. I think Umbrella Float should be modified to make it a stronger, more viable launcher, too.

Making the startup of Umbrella Float a bit shorter so its possible to combo into it from A would be nice for launching, A + S^ works well too. Also, Is A + S^ currently his only combo that doesn't involve Tazer?

I think an attack that hits both behind and in front of Trilby wouldn't have much use because Flit works quite well for attacking behind you although it could be useful in 4 player matches.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: March 16, 2010, 02:49:34 PM »

Making the startup of Umbrella Float a bit shorter so its possible to combo into it from A would be nice for launching, A + S^ works well too. Also, Is A + S^ currently his only combo that doesn't involve Tazer?
A + A
A + A + ^S

I think an attack that hits both behind and in front of Trilby wouldn't have much use because Flit works quite well for attacking behind you although it could be useful in 4 player matches.
Maybe not. That was just an example.

nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2010, 04:34:29 PM »

I'm still of the idea that Trilby's umbrella open needs to be either sped up, or separated into a multi-tap move.

- n o t h i n g x s -
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 21, 2010, 06:08:18 PM »

I find the umbrella attack to be a powerful combo finisher as is.
nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 22, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »

I find the umbrella attack to be a powerful combo finisher as is.

You can find a way to actually combo it besides taser?

- n o t h i n g x s -
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic