Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

997821 Posts in 39124 Topics- by 30528 Members - Latest Member: tutugah

April 16, 2014, 01:53:48 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsCloaks and Spells
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cloaks and Spells  (Read 2933 times)
IanSean
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »

This game very well, some things like sprite posture could improve, as said above.
The graphics remind me of the time of the spectrum but with a little more power.

On the other hand I get stuck here, you not opened the door, maybe it is a bug.

[IMAGE]

Thank you for playing. The solution here is to move the box out of the way, activate the button and jump out of harms way. See attached Picture:

I might have to indicate you can lift boxes in a more clear manner (Hold Shift and move the arrow key up). Did you play with the keyboard or gamepad? I hope you will give it another try. I just looked at your game and love the art, especially the player animation (After seeing your monk I am considering giving my character a belt. This might fix his posture Grin). I'm looking forward to playing your game.

shao
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »

Admittedly, I did not realize!, Did not know that was the tile of the flame but if it works as it should.

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »

I might restructure the level setup and make it more modular. For example if you get stuck in one place you might be able to go back to a hub and try another area until you feel motivated to return to the place were you were initially having trouble. What do you think about this idea ?
I feel there needs to be some form of punishment for failure in a fair encounter. Have you seen the inventory Menu ? You are able to pick up health potions which you can drink to regain full health. I might have to implement different difficulty settings, one with unlimited lives and one without.
What did you think of the movement feel ? How did you like the sound fx ? Any other comments ? Thanks again for your time and I hope you enjoyed playing as much as I had making it.

I think it seems like a huge leap in design - making linear game into non liniar would require a lot of work.
Oh, yeah, after few tries I acessed inventory, when trying to save the game by hitting esc. Because when I died there was an "save game" option for some reason. And I drunk the potion.
As for punishing player, well it is rather big design qeustion, but I would say that repeating the same section is simply not interesting for me at all, and I would prefer to have more frequent checkpoints, defenately not start from beginning in any case.
Controls can use a bit more tuning. Ability to move while attack animation is playing, and probably speeding said animation up a bit, might be an improvement. But, controls were ok, for the most part.

IanSean
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »

I think it seems like a huge leap in design - making linear game into non liniar would require a lot of work.
Oh, yeah, after few tries I acessed inventory, when trying to save the game by hitting esc. Because when I died there was an "save game" option for some reason. And I drunk the potion.
As for punishing player, well it is rather big design qeustion, but I would say that repeating the same section is simply not interesting for me at all, and I would prefer to have more frequent checkpoints, defenately not start from beginning in any case.
Controls can use a bit more tuning. Ability to move while attack animation is playing, and probably speeding said animation up a bit, might be an improvement. But, controls were ok, for the most part.

Thanks for your insight. I will need some more test subjects before I make drastic changes. I tweaked the jump a bit. It feels much better now (less floaty).

I updated the download links with the newest version if anyone is interested. I also added new camera movement. Not too happy with it yet though and it needs some work.  Hand Any Key

surt
Level 4

Meat by-product.

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 01:39:34 AM »

Trying to run it under Wine I just get an error message that "Cabinet is not valid", though that may just be a Wine incompatibility.  Sad

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
IanSean
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »

So I've been getting a lot of good feedback and have been working hard on fixing all the issues with the game.  Smiley

Here is a new HQ trailer:

https://vimeo.com/68340231

The Demo is available on Desura and if you want to help finance development you can pre-order via alpha funding.  Wizard

http://www.desura.com/games/cloaks-and-spells

I made gifs of the stuff I've been working on recently:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:13:33 PM by IanSean » Logged

IanSean
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:27 PM »

Been a while since I've last updated.

The game features now authentic Chiptune music by MegaFlare.
Here is a track he made for my first level:

https://soundcloud.com/mega-flare/cloaks-spells-level-1

If you enjoy chiptune music check out his other stuff and leave a comment.

Currently fiddling around with a simple puzzle mechanic that fits my jungle level:

The idea came to me in a dream  Shocked

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »

this looks cool, gonna check the demo out soonishish

IanSean
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »

this looks cool, gonna check the demo out soonishish

I hope you like it!

Here are some new screenshots from the jungle Level I'm working on:

Click to enlarge!

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 02:04:26 AM »

Gave the game a go... It's awesome! Sadly for me, it ran at half the speed o_O
It felt sooooo sluggish. The music played back at correct speed but the game itself ran so slow.
I really like the spell system. But fountain should instantly refill instead of you have to stand there and wait for 4 ticks.
Fervir
Level 2

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

oh god that tree ladder and barrel thing
creepy cool

IanSean
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »

Gave the game a go... It's awesome! Sadly for me, it ran at half the speed o_O
It felt sooooo sluggish. The music played back at correct speed but the game itself ran so slow.
I really like the spell system. But fountain should instantly refill instead of you have to stand there and wait for 4 ticks.

Hey Elrinth, thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked it.
Ran slow performance wise or just general movement ? I upped the speed a bit since last version. The fountain gives now full Mana on each tick. I also expanded the level layout to teach the spell mechanic a bit better. Maybe you can give it another try.

oh god that tree ladder and barrel thing
creepy cool

Thanks ! Smiley I gave your game a shot, was pretty fun. Maybe I'll have more time next week and can give you some detailed feedback.

This is the Temple Tileset in action for my next Level.

On another note, I'm currently helping out on Elliot Quest and we launched a Kickstarter a few days ago. If the game is your cup of tea Coffee head on over and pledge! Every backer counts !

Elliot Quest Kickstarter:
http://kck.st/1aP79sz

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic