Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:45:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogssOlus
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: sOlus  (Read 7047 times)
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:09:46 AM »

This is on semi-hiatus while I work on a few other things, but it's definitely not dead!

I'm making a space rts game where you colonise/invade planets (think Sins of a Solar Empire) but with fast unit combat (sort of like Eufloria) and lots and lots of units at once. the planets and stars have orbits that they follow, and ships can only jump from one gravity well to another and have limited jump ranges so sometimes you'll have to wait for a planet to come closer before you can jump your ships to it. Because I'm planning on it being a fast-paced game, I want to make the actual empire management as simple as I can so players don't get bogged down managing stuff while they should be shooting things.

Here's some screenshots (you can click on them to go to the bigger versions):

So far I've done a rough draft of this in python and opengl, but I'm going to port it over to C#/Monogame so I won't have too much trouble with getting it onto tablets if I want to.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:59:42 AM by barley » Logged

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

I've held off on making this devlog since I wanted to actually have a playable alpha ready before I talked much about my game, but then I thought fuck it and just made it since I need feedback Noir

I'm making a space rts game where you colonise/invade planets (think Sins of a Solar Empire) but with fast unit combat (think Eufloria) and lots and lots of units at once. the planets and stars have orbits that they follow, and ships can only jump from one gravity well to another and have limited jump ranges so sometimes you'll have to wait for a planet to come closer before you can jump your ships to it

because I'm planning on it being a fast-paced game, I want to make the actual empire management as simple as I can so players don't get bogged down managing stuff while they should be shooting things.

here's some screenshots (you can click on them to go to the bigger versions):

oh, also the name definitely has to change. suggestions so far from a portmanteau generator are "orbitch," "orbitterness," and "orbitwise," sooo...

I'm busy with my final year uni work at the moment but I'll be back to working on this full-time in a couple of weeks hopefully

it shouldn't be too hard to port over, do you have a video of this so far?

and for your name issue, have you looked at the names azimuth, zenith or astrolabe?

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »

I've done quite a bit of the porting so far, and I'm not really having any trouble. when I don't have other stuff to deal with I'll probably get through the porting in a few days

no video at the moment, sorry Sad there's not too much to see right now anyway. I'll post one as soon as I can though

astrolabe is a cool name, so's azimuth (zenith is too, but it has like 60 million results on google) I'll have to think about those two, thanks!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

looks cool, not much to go on atm but ill follow this anyways.  Blink

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »

mmm

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:23:28 AM »

Here's a quick GIF of everything orbiting. It looks a lot nicer at full resolution and 60fps.

It's going a lot faster than it would be ingame, just so I can show the effect off!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »

now im interested.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Glassmoon
Level 0

Matthew Brown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

Looks good. Nice clean art style Smiley

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »

I'm glad you guys like it! I've been really busy with my assignments lately but I'm looking forward to being able to get back to work on this game.

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »

So awesome! please revive
I can help programming.
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:01 PM »

Thanks for the offer but this is very much a solo project, at least where the actual game is concerned (I might need a musician and artist to help with bits and pieces later on).

As for continuing, as soon as I have some free time from Cloudface I'll be getting straight back to sOlar!

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

This looks really nice. I like the uncluttered visuals, and from what you've said the gameplay will also be both original and a based small, focused set of mechanics.

Hope you do get back on to this project!

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »

This looks really nice. I like the uncluttered visuals, and from what you've said the gameplay will also be both original and a based small, focused set of mechanics.

Hope you do get back on to this project!
Thanks! I'm actually starting to work on this on weekends, since I work on Cloudface in the week.

This doesn't look like much but everything is going smoothly porting sOlar to Unity so far:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic