Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:20:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio♪marble・time★OST★release♪
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ♪marble・time★OST★release♪  (Read 4518 times)
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2013, 04:06:12 AM »

hey everyone! I just released a super chill, nintendo-style, jazz, feel-good, puzzle game soundtrack.

〜◦CLICK◦HERE◦CLICK HERE◦CLICK◦HERE◦〜

the whole OST is an exercise in re-harmonisation of one main theme (set out in the titles first track). I had a hellova lotta fun making it so I hope people enjoy it! There's a killer (free) remix by rukunetsu on there as well!

p.s. the game's got some mindblogglin puzzles! so feel free to check it out!

I would love to hear feedback.

thanks guys!
Calum

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:12:09 AM »

Damn, that is really really good! Kiss
Will buy the game because of the soundtrack. That remix is so good!

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »

thanks mono!!
yeah, rukunetsu's amazing! his remix kinda reminded me a skee-lo track or something. And that's always good in my ears.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:31 AM »

Btw, what piano plugins do you use?

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »

this soundtrack is so soothing! it's like a mix of so many styles I love. will definitely check out the game, I picture it's hard to not have fun playing to this music, heh.
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:54:37 AM »

Btw, what piano plugins do you use?

east west pianos gold - takes like 10 minutes to load cos it's so big! haha but they're super beautiful!

this soundtrack is so soothing! it's like a mix of so many styles I love. will definitely check out the game, I picture it's hard to not have fun playing to this music, heh.

thanks dood!!

Drakken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »

Good stuff, Calum. Main melody reminds me of the Katamari theme song.

Loving that remix - hits me right in my sweet spot.

Drakken's Soundcloud - Check out my original game music and other tunes!
TristezaOrange
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:54:37 AM »

So nice! Can't stop listening to this- I wrote it on a CD with the SUL EP and it's the perfect spring soundtrack! Thanks for the music Calum. Smiley

MA-Simon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »

Really nice! Made me dance & sing along.

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

Good stuff, Calum. Main melody reminds me of the Katamari theme song.

Loving that remix - hits me right in my sweet spot.

oh yeah, rukunetsu's great! I really loved his remix. Thanks drakken! It's Josh, right?

So nice! Can't stop listening to this- I wrote it on a CD with the SUL EP and it's the perfect spring soundtrack! Thanks for the music Calum. Smiley

aww man! Thanks again! :~) Glad to be a part of your spring!
Really nice! Made me dance & sing along.

thanks simon!!

Sealunar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »

Awesome as usual man.

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:01 AM »

All right, some more amazing stuff!

The thing with your tracks is that whenever I start listening to them I first develop a massive smile and then get that bubbling sort of feeling around my chest that makes it almost impossible to suppress my urge to start laughing (almost impossible to listen to your tracks while working without attracting any attention). So much happiness tucked inside them, I really don't know how you manage to pull that off all the time!

Some more serious and less personal criticism: I don't know if it was a conscious decision from your part, but I really like how all your tracks have that sort of "Calumness" to them. Meaning that if I heard a new track from you somewhere, I would probably say "Hey, that totally sounds like Calum Bowen!". That sort of musical coherence is a great thing to have, and I think that the style you have found and developed is really unique and stylish! (Really, how could you go wrong with orchestral nintendo bossa? It's impossible!) Keep it up, I can't wait to hear more! (Also massive kudos for being so incredibly productive, however you do it.)

Good Evening was my favourite by the way, I'm listening to it about the fifth (sixth? seventh?) time right now straight, absolutely made my day! Smiley Epic orchestration and sound design there, I don't know what sort of plugins you used, but it sounds absolutely convincing (especially the brasses), just as if a proper band has played it. The rhodes-like solo is just the icing on the cake. Smiley

I don't have a credit card or a bank account or anything like that yet (as a maverick denizen, I try to keep away from all sorts of corporate of serious stuff in life Tongue), but I swear I'll set one up just so I can buy the album! (Not for being able to listen it everywhere, but because I would love to show my support in one way or another!)

Keep rocking (bossaing?) Calum, you've got this!

(Edit: That little piano riff at 0:48 is just so much win! I love these little details, they matter so much!)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:13:48 AM by Maverick Denizen » Logged

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »

Awesome as usual man.

thanks sealunar!

@maverick:

Wow! Hahaha, I don't know what to say! Thank you! My challenge will be to write something that you'll never guess I wrote then! I do have a few new works in the pipeline that feel quite different from my usual style!

Plugins for Good Evening - drums were logic's 'studio tight kit', bongos & congas were from EWQL Stormdrum 2, piano was from EWQL Pianos Gold I think, all the e.pianos were logic presets, the pizz strings + brass was EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, solo flutey thing was Embertone's 'Jubal Flute'! I think that mostly covers it!

I don't have a credit card or a bank account or anything like that yet (as a maverick denizen, I try to keep away from all sorts of corporate of serious stuff in life Tongue), but I swear I'll set one up just so I can buy the album! (Not for being able to listen it everywhere, but because I would love to show my support in one way or another!)

It's alright! Have some free download codes!
ffv7-vfvq
lwfa-gazt
qpar-uny7
gff5-ejnv

redeem them here: http://calumbowen.bandcamp.com/yum

Drakken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »

Gotta echo Maverick's comments - this soundtrack definitely has that "Calum" feel.

oh yeah, rukunetsu's great! I really loved his remix. Thanks drakken! It's Josh, right?

Yep, that's me.

solo flutey thing was Embertone's 'Jubal Flute'!

Embertone's stuff is great! Super affordable too.

Drakken's Soundcloud - Check out my original game music and other tunes!
MA-Simon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »

I'm already saving up for the violin! Only a couple more days to go until release. Kiss

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 05:13:24 AM »

Calum, please stop being so amazing, it's starting to make me feel uncomfortable.  Wink

Well the plugins you listed only show that it's not all about the vsts themselves, rather about how one can use them. I'm struggling to get even semi-realistic sounds out of EWQL, seems to me that you know your way around it pretty well when it comes to creating authentic sounds. (One example would be the brasses that come in at 0:51 first in Good Evening, great job with the dynamics there!) Oh, also good choices with the rim, snare and tom sounds!

I have downloaded the full album yesterday (cannot be thankful enough for that, really!) and took a massive night walk through springtime Budapest while listening to Good Evening. Quite a memorable one and a half hours, I have to admit, although I got some strange looks due to the constant stupid smile on my face and me not being able to stop drumming on my legs while walking. Smiley I think by now I know the track well enough to be able to reproduce it note by note, should it miraculously disappear from everywhere. :D

By listening to it consciously, I think I have figured out one of the reasons why it works so well for me, although I'm not sure I can explain it as well as I wanted (that's music for you): those little stops you employ at the 7th/15th bar of a theme sometimes, and the little tricks, drum-rolls, piano riffs, etc that lead the listener into the next theme really work out amazing. I think that bossa and me are generally pretty much on the same vibe (for some strange reason), I find it impossible not to start moving or shuffling around when listening to it, but I realized after a while that those little stops pretty much work like a ride on a rollercoaster: they make the comeback a lot stronger and I found that they mercilessly drag me back into the rhythm and the whole vibe every time I hear them. After a while I realized at home (still not being able not to listen to the track Tongue) that I'm pretty much doing everything on rhythm. Buttering a bread and cutting tomatoes have never been so much fun before. :D

The one and only (very minor and very personal) complaint I have is that the part between 1:14 and 1:34 could allow some space for some tom plays, something along the lines of "bamm-badabumm" or "bam-bamm-badamm-bada" or something similar (god, that looks pretty stupid written down). It's just something my ears and mind (or in rarer cases my hands) keep adding to the track at that point. Then again, the track is pretty much perfect as it is, this is merely personal preference. Wink

So thank you again for the download, I really appreciate it, it meant a lot to me, perhaps as a musician, you understand. Also, I'm thinking about remixing one of your tracks once I'm done with the current project I'm working on (in a few weeks, hopefully, that is). If only your tracks wouldn't be so freaking amazing to start with, I'd have a lot easier time... Still, brace yourself for a surprise in the near future! Smiley

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »

I'm already saving up for the violin! Only a couple more days to go until release. Kiss

Mmm! I'm excited for that too. It's a fairly hefty price tag in comparison to their other instruments but I think in the grand scheme of VSTs and given the quality of embertone stuff it'll certainly be worth it.

@maverick

wow! hahaha, shhhhh, you're making me feel all embarrassed! Your comments really do make me feel like it's all worth it though! Springtime Budapest sounds wonderful!

Mmm, stops like that really get me going! I think they come from playing in big bands and stuff where you'll often cut out to have a little riff cut through or a drum fill into the next section! That kinda stuff really excites me. I think I've also been hugely influenced by "drops" in electronic music. These kinda little gaps sorta have the same role if a little more subtle. Those small breaks such as 0:25 and 1:51 in this song really increase the impact of the section it leads into.

Mmm! I totally love bossa. The rhythms are so chill and the chords are so lovely!

. There's something about the drum beat in that it doesn't emphasis 1 and 4 that makes it feel very circular and flowing. The emphasis is constantly flowing and it sits very well with me! Then the chords in this song are just brilliant - I've tried to learn it a few times but have yet to stick out learning all the chords! The delivery is just perfect as well - great mix of sincerity, wit and a little sombreness. Ah oops, got a bit off topic!

No problem on the download - I'd much rather  people have great springtime budapest walks than a couple of pounds in my pocket. I'll post up a few more download codes if we're running short? I'm not sure if the previously posted codes have all been used or not.

I'm very excited to hear your remix!!! :~)

TristezaOrange
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »

I have been waiting for the Embertone Solo Violin for a long time too! Do you know how much it will cost? I've been really curious about it. Smiley

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 05:15:28 AM »

I have been waiting for the Embertone Solo Violin for a long time too! Do you know how much it will cost? I've been really curious about it. Smiley

here's the embertone details, man :~)

Also, the soundtrack is going pay what you want for a week along with a price drop in the game

So if you didn't pick it up before, now's the time! :~)))

http://calumbowen.bandcamp.com/album/marble-time-official-soundtrack

THANKS EVERYONE!

Jonathan Churchill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:46 AM »

Hey Calum, the music sounds great!  I especially love the harpsichord sound in there -  I LOVE that.
Also, nice to see all the Embertone love! Tongue

I also just heard your "Thief Story Titles"? track on Soundcloud, today...  amazing that you were able to do that with the Sax! Nice job!
I'm going to shoot you an email...

-Jon

Jonathan Churchill
Composer | Sound Designer | Sample Developer

www.embertone.com
www.jonathan-churchill.com
[email protected]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic