Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:42:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAverage Games
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Average Games  (Read 4245 times)
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

Ever feel like you enjoy the "average" or more moderately reviewed games (6.0 - 7.5) moreso than the giant AAA epics and highly polished games that are being released lately.

I have found myself to be more entertained by them ever since I was young. Perhaps it's that the games that get those ratings take quirky risks and have a "charm" to them that the more polished games don't. Who knows. Tongue

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

Reviews are written by people who've played a hell lot of games and are jaded with everything. You often need shinier graphics or some innovation to appeal to them and get high ratings.

Personally, I think that most people get their creative spark out in their first few games. There's a lot more 'spirit' and charm put into those things because they're more personal. The smaller the game, the easier it is to keep personal, though it doesn't mean that huge productions are not able to feel the same creative drive.

Not really so much about risks... AAAs can and do take plenty of risks. But usually more about not having too many cooks spoil the soup. What comes to mind is 5 star restaurant vs homecooked meals.
Uykered
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »

Don't look at review scores from journalists/businesses, they don't really mean anything (although anything below 6/10 is usually buggy/broken).
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:51 AM »

Play everything 7/10, its the best.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »

metacritic is evil
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 02:59:51 AM »

EA always buy perfect 10's, so being rated average might just mean the developer doesn't have as much money as EA and actually likes games instead

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 03:45:31 AM »

Pretty much everything I like or play on a regular basis was reviewed badly. They're all wrong, I tell you!
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 03:53:16 AM »

Games with mixed reviews are the most interesting ones.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 04:23:09 AM »

EA always buy perfect 10's, so being rated average might just mean the developer doesn't have as much money as EA and actually likes games instead

this is a lot more rare than you think

what's more likely is the reviewer is a moron/ea fanboy
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »

These scores are allot of the times fake. I remembered a big fus about fallout new vegas getting a mere 6 out of 10 on a website wile they just "donated" to that company. The reporter got fired because he didn't want to apologize and give it a new review.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 04:46:47 AM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 04:51:57 AM »

truth

also obligatory:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

i normally don't like jim sterling but he's right on the money in this.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

The highest rated games (these days) are the most soulless and boring; the triple-A.
GaldorPunk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »

Most big name reviews are biased or bought in some way, but in any case, the practice of simplifying a game's quality down to a single number is just not a very good way to judge whether a game will be fun.

Maybe games with the highest ratings are those that are thought to appeal to the widest range of gamers, but not necessarily those that are most satisfying to a particular subset (you could say these are often generic games that appeal to the lowest common denominator.) Ratings for niche games on the other hand are always going to be misleading since some people might absolutely love them, while others just wouldn't be interested.

Empyrean Frontier (indie RTS)
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

"We don't want you to make a game for us, we want you to make the good game that you want to make"

This guy's alright.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »

the practice of simplifying a game's quality down to a single number is just not a very good way to judge whether a game will be fun.

Maybe games with the highest ratings are those that are thought to appeal to the widest range of gamers, but not necessarily those that are most satisfying to a particular subset (you could say these are often generic games that appeal to the lowest common denominator.) Ratings for niche games on the other hand are always going to be misleading since some people might absolutely love them, while others just wouldn't be interested.
yeah this is good

Most big name reviews are biased or bought in some way
i almost didn't read the rest of the post because of this

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 06:22:32 AM »

Metro 2033 was one of the most resonant FPS's I'd ever played and that got mixed reviews across the board.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »

Ever feel like you enjoy the "average" or more moderately reviewed games (6.0 - 7.5) moreso than the giant AAA epics and highly polished games that are being released lately.
I don't expect much from an average reviewer. It is more likely that a worse rated game is gold than a well rated game.

It is because a good game should punish the player for not understanding its gameplay/mechanics. The player should adapt to the game, not the other way round.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:56 AM »

It is because a good game should punish the player for not understanding its gameplay/mechanics. The player should adapt to the game, not the other way round.
ahahaha the fuckin metal gear rising reviews were full of people  that didn't understand this + praised DmC for being baby easy and holding their hands and just

god
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »

Most big name reviews are biased or bought in some way
i almost didn't read the rest of the post because of this
Yeah. The 'bought' part is mostly bullshit.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic